Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

MorgaineDax posted:

27. An avalanche is going to take out a whole bottleneck's worth of climbers.

This right here.

Everest 2016: This time its personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Going to go with 15 souls for the mountain

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone who wants to know more about climbing K2, Alan Arnette wrote about it on his blog when he summited in 2014. Two entries in particular are well worth a read, A Summit of Unknowns:

quote:

Only an hour out of Camp 4 at 25,500 feet on K2, I was dying.

I coughed deeply, it hurt, each one nipping away at my strength. I gasped again for air. I felt like I was drowning.

An immense feeling of debilitating fatigue overtook me. I felt discouraged, and disappointed. I was losing the physical, mental and emotional battle and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I felt helpless, hopeless and ready to capitulate to K2.

and Descending is the Real Climb:

quote:

I pulled my knees against my chest and hugged them as I looked ahead. I could now see base camp, 6,000 feet below. I let my head rest against my knees. I was finished. I was done. It was over.

A calm feeling came over me as I sat quietly, giving up, surrendering to lack of strength, lack of willpower, lack of life. For the fourth time on K2, I gave up.

But this time was different. For the first time, I didn’t know where to look for the power to continue. I lacked the desire to even try. The energy that got me to the summit was now evasive. I was content to sit in the snow. I was content to spend eternity in this very spot. It was over.

My breathing slowed as my heart stopped racing. My wrist stopped hurting. My eyes focused on nothing. I took a deep breath. The calm, tranquility and serenity felt good. I was no longer fighting. I was satisfied. I was at peace.

I closed my eyes.

gently caress if I am ever doing something like that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Crankit posted:

can't you just drive a snowmobile up the mountain, seems like you could save a lot of time that way??

a zipline all the way to base camp

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i wonder if theres a market for explicit everest death. some people spend a lot of time and money on their own funeral arrangements. how many of these folks would pay a few hundred grand to give up the ghost on the everest summit and become a permanent part of the mountain i wonder

youd have to be prepared to work a little harder getting cancer patients and poo poo to the summit but thats just part of doing business

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

youd have to be prepared to work a little harder getting cancer patients and poo poo to the summit but thats just part of doing business

Just do a Sandy Pittman and have a nubile young sherpa short-rope you all the way to the summit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Did I already guess? If not then 5 deaths, going low this time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is 8 taken? I'll take 8 if not.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yo people, the Nepalese government is allegedly putting restrictions in place so only highly qualified rich people will die on the mountain. I'd bet the under.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Yo people, the Nepalese government is allegedly putting restrictions in place so only highly qualified rich people will die on the mountain. I'd bet the under.

Avalanches don't discriminate between the just and the unjust.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is there a spreadsheet for the death pool, I think I'm locked in for 9 but not sure.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm gonna say 3. Just sounds like a good number

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Goatfather posted:

i wonder if theres a market for explicit everest death. some people spend a lot of time and money on their own funeral arrangements. how many of these folks would pay a few hundred grand to give up the ghost on the everest summit and become a permanent part of the mountain i wonder

when i die i want someone to carry my body to the top and sit me down so the top of the mountain goes up my butt

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

More tourist areas need to figure out how to get the rich to pay a lot of money to get killed there

Bonus points if the locals don't die as well

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tochiazuma posted:

More tourist areas need to figure out how to get the rich to pay a lot of money to get killed there

Bonus points if the locals don't die as well

you can already do this in most of south america and africa

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

when i die i want someone to carry my body to the top and sit me down so the top of the mountain goes up my butt

I'm gonna have myself frozen buttcheeks spread wide anus agape at the top near the summit

call me Elt.sa the rear end Queen

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm gonna say 3. Just sounds like a good number

We can split the winnings

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

We can split the winnings

I'll take the mangled Clif bars, you can have the keurig

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna bet on 10 deaths this year. I will take my reward in the form of a photoshop image of me flex over their dead bodies.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, who was this?

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693622069154570240

By the way, to those playing the game: you get more points by taking pictures with dumb useless bullshit. Stop being tryhards and take more dumb useless bullshit with you.

I'm also going to push an update soon because I realize I misspelled "western cwm," might also need to include a feature that allows the player to check the actual death pool in-game.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I'll say we're looking at seven dead adventure tourists this year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hope a lot of rich idiots freeze to death

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
17. It will be in two brutal events

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Someone will give birth at base camp.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

elwood posted:

Someone will give birth at base camp.

0, because the mom dies (but the baby lives)

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

I'm going for 4.5 due to either a severe maiming or death of a child/midget

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I never tire of dead rich people, but that one lady who asked her 11yo son if she could climb the mountain and then died up there was a real piece of poo poo

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Quantum Finger posted:

I never tire of dead rich people, but that one lady who asked her 11yo son if she could climb the mountain and then died up there was a real piece of poo poo

Wait, what? Who was this?

Also, I'm guessing 14.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm guessing the lowest number not yet taken.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Teddybear posted:

I'm guessing the lowest number not yet taken.

-2? drat, two everest babies is impressive.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Gonna go with 35. ISIS ninjas will wait at the top.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dead Precedents posted:

-2? drat, two everest babies is impressive.

Bankin on twins

But nah really smallest available positive integer, dibs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
No deaths. This is the year mankind fully conquers the mountain. No one will ever die on Everest again, and in a few decades, we'll be taking our grandchildren up the covered escalator as a day trip and taking a fun slide down.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I predict Everest will have enough of this poo poo and just blow up the world.

So put me down for six billion.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dead Precedents posted:

Wait, what? Who was this?

Also, I'm guessing 14.

That might have been Francys Arsentiev who was trying to be the first American woman to climb Everest without supplemental oxygen. Oh and her husband Sergei died on the same expedition going back up to the summit to try and rescue her. Poor kid lost both parents on the same day because they were dumb.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

NaDy posted:

That might have been Francys Arsentiev who was trying to be the first American woman to climb Everest without supplemental oxygen. Oh and her husband Sergei died on the same expedition going back up to the summit to try and rescue her. Poor kid lost both parents on the same day because they were dumb.

Now their son defends Gotham as the Mountainman.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NaDy posted:

that was her.

He was eleven, said, "I don't want to be the one to keep you from achieving your dream" then promptly had a nightmare about her and his stepfather Sergei dying on the mountain in a blizzard, called her up and begged her not to go, but she was all, "No, you were right, I gotta do this thing!" and they both died on the descent.

Mountaineers are hosed up shitheads when they get married and have kids.

im gonna say 17, and I hope none of them are Sherpas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sherpas should start a patreon or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Sherpas should start a patreon or something

For a weekly donation of at least 50 USD, a rich douche of your choice gets pushed down the Lhotse Face.