Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If Indians want to die on a holy place while being physically challenged, why don't they do Ganges swimming marathons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

On Japanese people they regrow.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

This links to this in-depth article which is pretty good.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151008-the-graveyard-in-the-clouds-everests-200-dead-bodies

I wish BBC made a similar piece about us, posters ITT.

"The Death Count is one of the things that got me interested in this thread," says Doctor Malaver, one of the posters who never climbed above 1.000 m. "I also liked pretty pictures so I followed the thread from GBS to its current location, " he recounts from his dusty but cozy apartment.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Uluru

The schadenfreude is that the traditional owners ask people not to climb the rock for culturally sensitive reasons, so to die on the rock you have to be a completely insensitive loving idiot. Even worse, dying on the rock amounts to a desecration of a sacred place and means more people have to climb the loving rock to bring the bodies back (Dingoes have been known to chew on fall victims).

That's a convenient religious doctrine. We'll lease our holy ground to the government and we'll suggest to people not to climb, despite that there's a chain specifically for that purpose. So we get the money AND we're clean before the god/s because hey we placed the sign not our fault if they climb, right?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Dongsturm posted:

Leases can come with conditions, or have you never rented anything in your life?

If the owner tells you to get off their property, maybe you should just do that, regardless of their reasons.

Oh I do rent out an apartment. The lease says "Rent has to be paid by XY of each month", it doesn't say "Please consider paying rent by XY of each month".

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Business posted:

the snapchat guys are leaving soon for the summit. I am rooting for them because they are doing hard mode without oxygen tanks and it seems like hell

In the middle of the night? It was around 1am in Nepal at the time you posted.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I have no idea.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

So are they streaming? How can they have internet up there?

I overcame my disgust with puppy face filters and wanted to install snapchat but it turns out there's no PC version and my phone is small and old.

There's a summit push video on their YT but it's short and vertically recorded with a phone.

gently caress this poo poo

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I have an idea! Nepal could announce that say year 2020 will be a Year of Respect and that the season will be entirely devoted to removing all bodies from the mountain. There would be no summits that year.

It would be a right thing to do and I'm sure plenty of climbers would be interested. Since they are still "using" the mountain, Nepal could charge them for some reduced permits although overall they would earn less from permits that year. However this noble cause might attract some sponsor money. And to celebrate they could charge more for permits for casuals from 2021 on so any temporary loss would soon turn into a gain.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

You'd have a better starting point (fewer casuals, fewer guides for casuals, less feces, less bickering, no competition, more space, etc), and teams that would plan and prepare for this with full focus for the entire year. It would still be dangerous but so is regular summiting.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There's nothing morbid about this. You people only use that word to sound cool. You don't know the first loving thing about morbidity and what it all encompasses. You're just sad, depressed, hateful people who find solace in the fact that other people "didn't make it" while you remain, despite living in undoubted complete squalor and disgrace. The dead demand respect -- you, however, do not.

How much respect get shitposters? Do they count as dead or living?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

The more fit, adventurous and committed men die in these sports, the more women will have to settle for us WOW-playing slugs. :marc:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Epitope posted:

Selfies predate successful everest expeditions

Osky and Weeda sound like some new Star Wars characters.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Despite being roughly half the size of Everest, Mont Blanc has a competitive death toll.

quote:

Saint-Gervais mayor warns that people who try to climb France’s highest mountain without proper kit face fines after series of deaths and accidents

quote:

After the death of the French man, Lt Col Stéphane Bozon, of the mountain gendarmes at Chamonix, told journalists the climber had been wearing “only trail equipment”, including shoes that would have been more appropriate for “a grandmother walking in the town”.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah those pieces where they combine text, short videos and animations are great.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

nsaP posted:

Bill Burr is right (also an amateur helicopter pilot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAzX209knE

It takes a special man to be so obnoxious to make me scramble for the stop button less than one minute into the video.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Climbing K2 requires a permit, whether you're coming from the Pakistan side or the Chinese side. So why did they get permits to climb in these conditions? Or is it like pay once and use it whenever?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

So it’s the government’s job to decide who’s safe and who isn’t? That’s completely contradictory to the spirit of climbing. These guys are as qualified as just about anyone ever will be to climb K2 in winter, they deserved the chance.

Yes, it is? Government can decide that you can't swim in the Hoover dam and it can close a bridge when it's too windy and it can make it illegal for you to take ecstasy and it can not allow you to drive without a seat belt. There are plenty of activities forbidden by governments that are much less dangerous than climbing K2 in winter.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/01/french-climber-elisabeth-revol-describes-despairing-descent-on-pakistans-killer-mountain

I didn't know the Polish guy was a father of three. :cry: And the woman who has frostbites on three out of four limbs believes she will climb again in time because "she needs it".

I think the reporting is too matter-of-fact, as if all this was just an accident. They should focus more on these climbers' mental health.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/03/nepal-cracks-down-on-multimillion-dollar-helicopter-rescue-scams

Guardian posted:

One investigation on behalf of insurers estimated there had been more than 1,600 helicopter rescues so far this year, of which about 35% had been fraudulent, costing the companies more than $4m (£3.1m).

What? I know it's not just Everest but entire Nepal but I had no idea that were that many climbers.

LastCaress posted:

Just came from Elbrus (18.5k feet), was pretty cool, coming down there was a snow storm and lightning most of the group was evacuated via snowcat but there wasn't place for me the russian guides were yelling to jump to the ground every time there was a lightning bolt . Kinda scary. Then I took aerial pictures of the American embassy in Moscow but didnt even get arrested

That's badass

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

You can say a lot of bad things about Everest climbers, but probably not that they are eager to commit insurance fraud.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

I think there are other places in the world that are at the same altitude but road-accessible, I always figured if I was going to go to base camp I'd like to visit somewhere else of the same altitude first, so if I'm prone to altitude sickness I can get driven back down in a hurry.

I spent a week or so in Cuzco, Peru. I would tire easily and couldn't draw a deep, satisfying breath. Everest base camp is 2000m higher. No trekking there for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/everyone-is-in-that-fine-line-between-death-and-life-inside-everests-deadliest-queue

You can't properly enjoy the summit because of all the corpses you had to pass by. :(