Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Distorted Kiwi posted:

That was quite the wild ride

Ironically it was the exact opposite for that goon.
Still my favorite saga on here after all these years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

Everyone's obsessed with the Everest, but tbh I'd be happy with something just a little Everer than my everyday hike

Personally I'm keeping things just the slightest bit Everish until I get more experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I can recommend Etna, it's like 3300m so a little thinner air but not dangerously so, plus it's a friggin' active volcano.

Living at reasonably high elevation (for the US), that's right around where I start noticing some difference in more strenuous hiking, above ~3 km was very noticeable and took some time to get used to back when I lived closer to sea level. It boggles my mind that Everest base camp already starts out not too far off from the highest peaks in the US and you only go up from there. That kind of kills most interest I have on going there just for the hiking experience, it looks stunning but not really something I want to deal with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

So are they dead yet or what?

Rinky-dink ink guy might be getting in an early-morning summit at this very second, if I google did my K2 time zone conversion correctly :effort:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1238457282817675266
Bad news if you were hoping to use the lack of folks going outside as an excuse to enjoy some recreation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For those with reduced lung capacity, achieving an altitude of 9,029 ft now counts as summiting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, it's more extreme than that here right now, I should get some sort of medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just sitting up there on the summit, blocking it off because nobody can approach within 6 ft to make you move