Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tafferling posted:

Well, the fault rests entirely on the rich people though. Most of Nepal is just rocks after all, and Everest, sentimental values aside, is just a really BIG rock that they can somehow make a living out of.

Yes which is why it's never going to happen until someone fires up the guillotines.

I wish I could see Everest without too much environmental impact but it's insanely exploitative, even if the money kinda helps the people, it's not that cut and dry.

They can make money but ignoring the problem on Everest is not going to put the world in your corner against the millionaires continuing to exploit the poor for their own vanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The whole process wouldn't be worth the cost for my wife and me, since she has chronic respiratory issues that would prevent her from... living.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I forget, which 8000 meter is considered the "easiest"?

Cho Oyo I think. It's a pretty open path up and down. There's still people that die from HAPE at way lower than 8k

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drgitlin posted:

Honestly the reason people buy titanium spoons is because the SR-71 was made from titanium and so therefore it's a cool spoon.

That's why I get things like this. Saving weight isn't too big of a deal, but I also understand that saving a bit of weight on the things you ALWAYS bring can lead to you not feeling as encumbered when you're packing. Lightweight gear bundled up made for a less stressful, more satisfying bike commute, since it can all stay parceled.

My experience with weight saving are in cycling and I'm not an expert either though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Guardian has an in depth article about Everest's death toll this year.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I feel like it's formative doing something dangerous got the first time; I wonder if that plays into her training regimen and mental state throughout.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Death pool ruled gently caress the concern trolls no mods no masters

Seriously IDK how a SA thread got dragged for lusting after rich people death when that's been GBS whole political schtick for the past 7 years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PittTheElder posted:

They should save time on the descent by installing a big slide.

honestly I think that's the big appeal of the parachuting off the top of the mountain approach.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

This will be his first-ever attempt to summit Everest, and he told Rock and Ice he hoped to make his final push by Feb. 29. He said chances of success are slim, but he will try again.

Sounds pretty pragmatic but I worry for them. That is a level of cold that I cannot completely comprehend, on top of the other dangers of Everest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alan Smithee posted:

Death is very pragmatic yes

I meant to say the climbers sound pragmatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Several hundred thousand attempting the summit seems reckless.