Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Altitude sickness can affect you if you gain elevation too quickly too, I've had it at 9400' because I drove from 3200' to 8000' in about an hour and a half then hiked up at too fast a pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is loving awesome, elwood

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cojawfee posted:

What if you fall off the edge of town?

That's something I would do.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

18 miles/29km as the crow flies

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well gently caress now I want to do that. Amazing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is so loving amazing. It's like the Canadian Rockies turned up to 11.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Were you the one that won the farcry 4 contest?

Took you long enough to get there goddamn

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is awesome, good job and great photos!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Perspective is a hell of a thing.

It's loving annoying. You try and take a picture of something completely mind-blowing and there's no way the viewer can comprehend it. Take this photo I took standing at the base of Mt. Birdwood here at home.

This is what it looks like from a different perspective (not my photo):

The view looking up at the spire of a peak, that massive vertical face, was unbelievable. I was looking up the east face which is the left-hand side in this pic. There's no way of comprehending that experience in a 2D photo like that.

So when you see mountain photos and think "Holy poo poo" just remember it's probably a thousand times more magestic in real life.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The place that deserved the most ridicule was Lake Louise. I couldn't find a good photo with the outlet stream totally frozen so you'll have to make do with this.

Of course, no one climbs Everest in the dead of winter so here you are at the lake during a more appropriate season.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oracle posted:

Are those streaks comets or airplanes or shooting stars or what

Camera jiggle. Could be from manually hitting the shutter button instead of using a remote or having auto-stabilization on. I get them in my photos too because I'm cheap and forget to turn stabilization off.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

See that's one thing I don't think I'll ever get. If I don't carry all my own poo poo then I just don't get to go. I couldn't imagine hiring human beings to be my pack mules. If you're not self-sufficient then you should just stay the hell home.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Aphex- posted:

A whole lot of awesome

Incredible. I really need to get my sorry rear end over there someday.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's hilarious because Europeans flock to the Canadian Rockies for its wilderness because they don't have that at home anymore.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Outrail posted:

Read the comments. How does the man have any self esteem?

Guys like him just think literally everyone in the world is stupid and wrong and he's the only one who is smart and correct. The more people argue, the more it justifies his twisted version of reality.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah. I sort of see where he's coming from, sounds like he's getting a reality check every couple of months what with all his mates dying out wing-suiting.

I reckon if he does do it he'll probably be jumping super conservatively, just enough to tick the box without getting himself killed, but I dunno, depends on the mindset. Can't say he doesn't have his eyes open though.

It's a total mixed bag. I can see why he's so obsessed and passionate, but at the same time, with a kid, it's like maybe you should take a step back from recklessness because there's another life dependent on you. I was pretty reckless for a while and then I nearly died, and after that moment I totally scaled back and couldn't push myself like I used to ever again. And I don't even have a kid. I suppose maybe since he hasn't personally had a near miss he still feels fairly invincible even though he knows of so many deaths, he isn't that worried, but his situation is far more serious than mine was. Most scrambling accidents result in injuries, whereas most base jumping accidents result in death.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aren't most of the taller mountains in the Rockies basically hikes? I don't think there's much mountaineering going on there unless you go out of your way.

Depends on which Rockies. The USA, yes, Canada, absolutely not.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

For people interested in the safety aspect of winter conditions in mountains, we have a really great website forecasting avalanche conditions in the mountains of Western Canada. And things are pretty insane right now in the Rockies.

http://avalanche.ca

And Kananaskis Public Safety, which is in charge of the region I spend most of my time in, posted this on their Facebook page:

quote:

We currently have another storm on our doorstep. It is expected to bring an additional 30cm of snow and alpine winds of 100km/hr plus! As good as this sounds, we are very aware that it will create extreme avalanche hazard within the Kananaskis area. We are advising people to not even go into the backcountry for the week-end. Ski hills, groomed XC ski trails are both reasonable options.
This last week we’ve witnessed the largest avalanche cycle in recent memory. Avalanches have gone beyond normal run out zones and in some cases have even created new paths.

There were two deaths earlier this week in Banff, two snowshoers were caught in an avalanche. It's just really ugly right now, I hope none of my friends say "gently caress it" and head out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My Facebook is completely filled with avalanche posts right now because Parks Mountain Safety has been doing a LOT of avalanche control due to the crazy conditions, plus people witnessing natural slides too.

https://www.facebook.com/deryl.kelly.7/posts/10158381732380720

https://www.facebook.com/rockiesice/videos/pcb.1417154168334856/1417154071668199/?type=3&theater

This is a natural size 4 seen on Cascade Mountain from HIghway 1 right outside Banff townsite. The highway runs right past the mountain, but a bit to the left of the slide path.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Thanks! I'll be praying!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Dude at least has some climbing experience and is in decent shape, so hopefully he won't have to rely on some sherpa hauling him around.

You're grossly underestimating that mountain.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It better be amazing because the old one is hard to top. It's too perfect.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah, from what I can find, there's no public record of what happened to his body.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oh yeah, so for goons with Snapchat, EverestNoFilter is headed back to try and summit again. I still follow them from the first attempt so I'll be watching.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cory from EverestNoFilter missed his original flight to Tibet and is now headed to China instead where he'll meet up with Adrian. This was after their initial leave date was delayed by several days. This expedition is starting out on a bad foot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Legit though, the mountain god is thirsty for blood.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I can just change the title. But I'm keeping "Get rich and die hiking" because it's brilliant and makes me laugh every day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Agreed. I would try to post legitimate stuff in hopes it would curb the concern trolling. Never worked.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cool avalanche stuff again! Sorry for the Facebook link, it's the only one I could find. Avalanche cascading over a cliff face like a massive waterfall next to some ice climbers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/315539898799565/permalink/433840846969469/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a few days off from work, I'm going to write up a proper avalanche and snow safety thread. Stay tuned!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

ante posted:

I miss active Everest threads :(

GBS ruins everything.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

EverestNoFilter guys have been running into more trouble. One of their sherpas was feeling sick and then Cory was having health problems too and skipped an acclimatization day hike. The mountain is also being absolutely blasted with high winds so I doubt anyone has been attempting the summit the last few days even though it's sunny and clear for the most part.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Why did they get up from the prayer ceremony to get a better perspective for Snapchat just ugh.

I mean, there's the whole issue of falsifying traditional customs for the sake of performance to make tourist experiences more "authentic" which is a huge problem in non-Western countries, but whether that was the case or it was legitimate, you should still participate as expected.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My brother in law posted on Facebook about it, Steck has always been a major hero and idol for him so he's not taking this well :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So having been watching EverestNoFilter, they've been making note that for days now, there have been gale force winds whipping across the ridges and peaks. It would not surprise me if Ueli Steck was literally blown off his route.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Since Everest season 2017 has begun and there will be plenty to actually discuss in this thread, any poo poo-posting from now on is going to be met with an official :siren:Greenboots Sixer:siren:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's a trail in Canada (Berg Lake) where if you want to overnight, you have to watch an instructional video on how to backpack properly. Like, staying hydrated and poo poo. I figure the reason for this is that so many beginners start out on it that they had way too many gently caress-ups and got sick of coming to their rescue. Sad part is it's an incredibly easy trail. It's almost completely flat following a river and there's campgrounds every 5km.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's a solo female climber stuck near the summit of Canada's tallest mountain due to earthquakes loosening a bunch of seracs and causing avalanches, making descent too dangerous.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/earthquakes-strand-climber-near-summit-mount-logan

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mt. Logan was nice yesterday :unsmith:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/solo+climber+stranded+more+than+yukon+mount+logan+rescued+after/13347841/story.html

quote:

Parks Canada had said Thursday that bad weather was preventing a rescue attempt, but ExpeNews said a pilot with the charter service Icefield Discovery was in the area and noticed an improvement in the conditions.

ExpeNews said the pilot alerted a rescue team, and after checking with Martinez, it was decided to launch a rescue. The website said Martinez was taken to the Icefield Discovery base in Kluane Lake in southwest Yukon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It would have been safer to just go find some goddamn dumpster pizza.