Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Slate has a piece up about Everest and sherpa's. The lead paragraph is peak Everest.

quote:

Jeff Brown has spent his life searching for new adventures. “I have shared beef kabobs with Georgian Freedom Fighters in the Caucasus Mountains in the shadow of Mt. Elbrus,” the Florida defense attorney boasts on his website. “I’ve laid down in the marble tomb of the pharaoh Kefron … and been blessed by a Buddhist lama in the Himalayas deep in Nepal—twice.” But for all of these accomplishments, Brown has not yet reached the peak he cares about the most. He’s never summited Mount Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Not making GBS threads for 24hrs sounds like a bad idea
Not making GBS threads for a day or two isn't a big deal. I didn't poo poo for like...three or four days after my appendectomy (and then I birthed a shitbaby). Ignoring your bowels desire to move for a week is bad and you're setting yourself up for some unpleasantness but you can do it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Paineopticon posted:

I don't even want to think about how much feces is in that camp. I doubt anyone is sticking their rear end out over the edge

Ama Dablam Summit Day Summary

quote:

Valdis and Sergey followed closely and heroically behind (with significantly higher style points) and we recomposed ourselves in Camp Two. Camp Two is better known as ‘Camp Poo’ due to the extensive garbage and human waste left behind from other expeditions. It’s both sad and strange to see firsthand how one of the most iconic camps in the Himalaya is one of the dirtiest (serious understatement) I’ve ever seen… Needless to say, we were under strict instructions ‘not to touch anything’ and kept bottles of hand-sanitizer close to hand..! Having survived the Yellow Tower I was not eager to test my luck or the strength of my gastro-intestinal system here!!
Poo. Poo never changes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

The Guardian has a piece up on the dead vegan with details. He only left her for about 30 minutes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

can we get a death toll update?

five shitlords and one sherpa.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

This is a good article and answers a lot of questions like

quote:

On the Nepal side, EverestLink provided fairly reliable Internet connection throughout the entire season. Over on the North, China Mobile offered 4G. And satellite connection using Thuraya or Iridium competed the ability for anyone, almost anywhere to post their latest selfie, Snapchat clips, tweets, posts and more.

:siren: and more importantly, there was a sixth shitlord death on the Chinese side, bringing the death toll to seven :siren:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

[urk=http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2016/06/economist-explains-6]The Economist posted a short explainer about why Everest is so dangerous[/url]. In it's entirety:

[quote]SIXTY-THREE years ago, on the morning of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, news crackled over the radio that Mount Everest had finally been conquered, by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay. Since then more than 4,000 climbers have scaled the world’s tallest peak. Over 250 have died attempting the journey. In April, after the climbing season resumed for the first time in two years, following an avalanche in 2014 and an earthquake last year, six climbers lost their lives.

Everest is safer than most of its 8,000-metre sister-peaks, thanks largely to Sherpas’ detailed knowledge of the route. They make frequent sorties up and down the slopes to haul food and oxygen supplies. They rig the mountain with ladders and rope handrails to make it easier for climbers to plough through. On a “death to safe returns” ratio, the mountain does better than other lesser-trodden peaks, like Annapurna for instance (where one climber dies for every three who make it to the top; at Everest it is 1:30). In 2012, on a single day, 234 people flocked the summit to set a world record. In 2013, after a day of lengthy jams, 150 had reached the top.

But whereas rocky crags, treacherous cornices, thin air, and wildly fluctuating temperatures are common to most vertiginous snow-clad peaks, Everest’s troubles are partly man-made. The mountain’s two most popular climbing routes, one from Nepal and another from Tibet, are terribly overcrowded. Improved weather-forecasting tools allow all commercial expeditions to exploit the precious “weather window” that stands between them and the summit. Key portions of the routes are often secured with a single rope-line tugged by more than a hundred climbers at once. One misstep can trigger a domino effect. Any jam at that altitude can be fatal. Many dodgy local operators, eager to woo customers, skimp on costs, hire fewer Sherpas and enlist rookie climbers.

Until the 1970s Nepal’s government allowed only one climbing expedition every year. Today there is no such cap. Everest is a big draw for Nepal’s $471m tourism industry, the country’s second-biggest foreign-exchange earner after remittances. This season added $3.1m in climbing fees. Hardly any of it is used to rehabilitate the mountain itself, which is littered with garbage. New rules that call for banning inexperienced climbers are often discussed, but never enforced. A plan to lease out neighbouring Himalayan mountains to private companies that might lure climbers to other peaks, meanwhile, has yet to take off.[/quotee]

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

I actually have wondered if it would be at all feasible to develop a helicopter (or some form of VTOL aircraft) which can reliably operate that high up. It would be nice to have some solution for rescuing climbers from the Death Zone, or at least getting rid of some of the corpses.
It's already been done. He used an unremarkable stock helicopter.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

im triggered by the word appalachian. Im afraid im going to be sexually assaulted to the sound of banjos or blown up by moonshine stills
deliverance was shot on the chattooga river which has fairly easy whitewater rapids. you can go under the bridge the banjo players were on, see where a man was made to squeal like a piggy, and body surf where they fell into the river.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Outrail posted:

Uh, how does he do anything with one loving finger?
They were all amputated at the second joint from the top except for his right thumb, so he still has usable stubs.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Jose posted:

was it everest or a different mountain that a google exec instagrammed drinking coffee talking about how safe the mountain was then died the next day?

everest.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

There was a death this weekend, and some injuries among sherpas doing prep work.

Simone La Terra, an Italian climber, was blown off the mountain (inside his tent) and fell almost a kilometer. Looks like his tent was either poorly situated or poorly anchored. Simone was reasonably experienced, having summited Shishapangma, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum ll, Cho Oyu and Manaslu

[url]http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/30/everest-2018-a-summit-and-a-death/url]
I wonder if they just rolled his remains up in his tent or if they rebagged him.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

The NYT has a piece on Everest insurance fraud

quote:

NEW DELHI — International insurance companies on Friday threatened to end travel coverage to Nepal if the government did not crack down on elaborate helicopter rescue scams that target foreigners trekking near Mount Everest and other high-altitude peaks.

Last year, investigations by the Nepali government and Traveller Assist, a medical assistance company based in Ireland, found that some trek operators, guides, helicopter companies and even doctors and hospitals had conspired to bilk millions of dollars from insurance companies by pushing for emergency mountainside evacuations for minor illnesses, or when simpler treatment options were available.

The guides preyed on trekkers when they were most vulnerable — trudging up remote trails, cold, wet, sick, confused and miles from any well-serviced towns.

The Nepali government found evidence that some guides went as far as intentionally making hikers ill by spiking their food with large amounts of baking soda, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other ailments, and then calling for an emergency helicopter evacuation.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

I just stumbled across this NYT article from 2012 on a sherpa who summitted Everest six times and now works at a 7/11. I was really curious, went Googling for more, found his facebook page, and learned that he is now a proud Uber driver. I can't imagine anyone more qualified to sherpa drunk people around NYC.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1133497352885604353

A celebrity who gets it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

At what point does that acronym become so big that we just change it to “everybody but straight white males.”
You either go full QUILTBAG or you say gently caress it and settle for Gender and Sexual Minorities (GSM).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Peter Singer stepped in to argue that it's dumb and morally wrong to climb Mt. Everest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I am a Marxist so I hate to sound like I am defending rich douche nozzles, but his argument that the money to climb could have saved a life of donated to charity is rather thin. You could say that about anything—if you never went to a single movie your entire life and instead donated all that money to charity—or even your profession...

Sure I could have saved more lives if I just joined the peace corps, and lived in the third world for no money my whole life, gently caress everything and everyone else I would have to give up; and that includes his tenures Princeton rear end sitting in the ivory tower, writing articles that he can talk about at his academic cocktail parties.
That is exactly what Singer has spent fifty years arguing. You can say it of anything! If instead of spending $50k being dragged up a mountain by sherpas you donated it to third world relief you would save about 100 human-life equivalents. You could say the same about your daily coffee.

The counter to "join the peace corps" is that you would do way more good becoming an investment banker and donating even just half of your earnings to good charities than spending your days digging ditches in Kenya. Singer could dig latrines in in Kenya, or he could continue to inspire millions of dollars of charitable donations by continuing his academic career.