Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Give me 38 if it is still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

Didn't someone tell him it was too dangerous and he said "gently caress you, old man" and started down Everest.

I'm at work and too lazy to look it up, but as I remember the story after he made summit the weather sort of turned and visibility was poo poo.

At some point he decides to snowboard down anyway when his team is advising him not too, and he walks off in the wrong direction with his snowboard never to be seen again.

That's how I remember the story. Whether or not my memory is accurate at all is another question entirely.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think I've mentioned before that I have an online acquaintance who went hiking somewhere in northern California. It wasn't high up, but he got altitude sickness and literally had to be airlifted to a hospital. He said he'd never felt worse in his life.

When I was 13 I got altitude sickness backpacking in the Sequoias. I got sick two days into a backpacking trip with my parents, and we had to walk out.

I was taken to the hospital and was diagnosed with a "non-serious" case of altitude sickness (whatever that means, because when I read about it these days there does not appear to be any such thing as "non-serious" altitude sickness) and my parents were allowed to drive me down the mountain. About halfway down I was 90% better.

From what I remember from 25 years ago, that whole experience was one of the most miserable of my life. I was vomiting constantly, my head pounded, and it felt like I could barely put one leg in front of the other--would not recommend, would not do again.

It took me 5 years before I was willing to go back over about 4k feet; however, since I was 18 I've spent a lot of time in mountains and have never had an issue.

To me, this just demonstrates how random altitude sickness can be, and how someone who has lots of experience in the mountains and has never had any issues at all can suddenly be affected by the altitude.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

elwood posted:

Dzongla to Lobuche

Base Camp tomorrow.

You've got to be kidding me. I didn't know the night sky could look like this anywhere.

Edit

This reminds me. The thread has a little to much positive content and is a little light on the me laughing at people dying on mountains since it's been moved here. :skeltal:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 2, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Maluco Marinero posted:

Really bright but looks like the same view you'll get on a boat 200 miles out to sea. And yeah, it's probably one of the things I miss most having been off maritime work for 5 years. Turns out the amount of light & pollution a city puts out really blocks what you'll see of the stars.

No poo poo! The sky doesn't even look like this out in the middle of a national forest in the continental US.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I've become utterly fascinated, and/or, enchanted by mountaineering as of late. I'm a useless pile of poo poo who will never manage to do it, but I love watching all the films about it that I can find.

Do keep up the photos and stories, it's nice to live vicariously through others.

Me too. I've even spent a decent amount of time in the mountains, but as fascinated as I am, gently caress no to mountaineering.

I like all of my fingers, toes, and limbs. I also like being not dead and not in situations where I could easily end up dead.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

This reminds me. At my former gym they had a stair master Everest thing, where if you "climbed" Everest on a stir master you got your picture on the wall. :jerkbag:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Last Chance posted:

Typical arrogant gym management. How dare they mock The Great Mountain. Everest is not to be taken lightly.

It's not even that. I'm imaging the people whose picture was on the wall going on with their lives and talking about the time they "basically climbed Everest." You know that has to happen.

Kind of in line with the click-hole article I was quoting, which is why I was reminded of it and told the story.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

so you're mad at your imagination?

That's pretty deep and complex. Let me just retort by saying we are always angry about things we imagine. And by that, I mean, every time you get angry about something, even if it's somebody just curb stomped your mom, you are getting angry based on your idiosyncratic (or socially conditioned, pick one, either works) interpretation of events. This is an imaginative process.

So yes, I am angry about my imagination(s). So are you. Right now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but in your case you thought up an fictional person & fictional actions for them, then posted about how mad you were about this fiction you'd imagined

No, not really. No more than you're fictionalizing me right now. They had a giant picture of themselves on the gym wall that said "I climbed Mt. Everest."

Given that, I don't even think my fictionalization of them violates what most people would consider a fair inference. I guess though you could try to continue trying to delegitimize my reaction by bringing up the problem of induction; however, one wonders what existential threat does my mockery pose to you?

Do you have a giant picture of yourself on the wall of your gym along with the words "I climbed Mt. Everest?" or something? Am I accidentally making fun of you, or are you just one of those people who likes to argue on the internet for the exercise? No shame either way.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
The real question for those with morbid fascinations of watching mountaineering disasters unfold--is there video?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's an addiction - no hyperbole, a literal addiction. They are addicted to the adrenaline of doing something so dangerous, and they have to one-up themselves each time or they don't get the high. And of course Everest is the "ultimate" for them. Watch that one video of the guy who wanted to wingsuit off of Everest - the dude is just listing off all his friends who have died wingsuiting, worrying about his wife and kids... And then decides to go do it anyway, because he's compelled to. His brain won't let him go.

They should read about K2 then. :toot:

In all seriousness though, I have no problem conceptually with those who want to push the envelope of human experience and risk their lives doing things incredibly dangerous.

Without people like this, there would be no astronauts, and in some sense I am tempted to say that part of our nature as a species is the statement George Mallory made about Everest: he wanted to climb it because it was there.

People wanted to go to the moon because it was there too, and I consider that one of the greatest achievement of human beings.

That said I feel like most of the deaths on Everest are the result of unprepared people with too much money--not in this case clearly--deciding the mountain is a bucket list check mark they need. That's not cool, that's stupid and also emblematic of how some people seem to have no regard not just for their own lives, but for their spouses and loving children that have to deal with the aftermath of their loved ones being utterly dumb.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

meet girls at the store posted:

This is dumb as hell, but the only thing dumber are the 5,000 google alerts I keep receiving for this story with headlines like "Couple Marries Atop Mt. Everest."

I mean, not what I'd do, tons of people do the hike to base camp (including people here) without climbing the mountain. So exchanging vows at base camp seems no big deal.

Now loving carrying a wedding dress and a tux does seem pretty dumb.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Picnic Princess posted:

Honnold does what he does because he wants to and he's good at it. loving leave it at that already.

And most likely this will kill him eventually; however, big loving deal. Human beings need people who like doing insanely difficult me borderline suicidal things.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not that anyone here doesn't know it, but altitude sickness is a motherfucker. 20 year old college student died on a trail that goes from 8000 to 11,200 feet.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/mother-daughter-died-of-acute-altitude-sickness-on-conundrum-trail/

As someone who had a "mild" case altitude (no such thing, the doctor was insane telling me that) sickness near Mammoth Lakes, at a time when I spent quite a bit of time in the mountains, I can attest to this.

It's extremely unfurckingpleasant and can hit anyone, no matter your fitness level, or how often you go up to higher altitudes, at any time.

Pretty much the only time you should feel 100% safe from altitude sickness is if you've been living in the mountains and haven't come down and gone back up recently.

Edit

Or be a Sherpa.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Levitate posted:

True, I was mainly just responding to the assertion that a lower altitude mountain can provide you with everything you'd want out of higher altitude peak

Unless what you want is a much higher probability of death.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Epitope posted:

This but unironically. 420 flirt with death erry day

No, you are 100% correct. I believe a big part of mountaineering is about "getting off" of overcoming in the face of real risk to your life.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

LastCaress posted:

In two months I'm going to try Elbrus :O

I am going to google mars right now and am going to climb Olympus Mons. Absolutely no training at all. :colbert:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

LastCaress posted:

In less than a month I'll try and summit Elbrus :D Not as dangerous as Everest, obviously, but still a challenge. Last month I was in Nepal, and this is why people climb :

Sure, there's some danger, but it's so beautiful...

Yeah, I see that and I think... “here people go to die.”

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the sherpa are the bourgeois of nepal so its cool

I do not think the CPNMC would agree with that statement.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Not a frozen corpse yet.

Call me when you hit 20,000 feet and then tell me you aren’t a frozen corpse.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Working my way up to it, jeeze.

I knew I should have just photoshopped it.

I am just busting your balls. You are already higher than I would ever willingly go. :worship:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Val Helmethead posted:

Coming from 1K Pittsburgh, I could feel the difference. And I spent several days acclimating to the mountains before the attempt.

I got altitude sickness backpacking near Mammoth mountain. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, and completely out of nowhere since I had done the trip multiple, multiple times previously.

This is what convinces me to never go to Nepal.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Climb mountains, y'all.

Have you seen all of the dead people all over this thread? I will pass, thanks.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Quick question... Delaware is a real place?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Maybe they will finally find Irvine’s body.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

They shuffled farther up, if the location of Mallory's body was any indication. Most of these bodies are in the icefall.

To be honest, if they ever do find Irvine I will probably be bumbed out. The Malory and Irvine mystery is one of the most tantalizing things about the mountain for me.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

djssniper posted:

What if he has the camera? Would solve the question if salvable

It would, and that too would be disappointing—maybe. I think not knowing one way or the other and having the thought they may have summited be a mystery might be better than knowing they did or did not.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

I'd rather know.

I mean, in the end me too. I am just saying when I think about Everest there is always that mystery that makes the mountain special. Otherwise, it has become a tourist trap quite literally for some people. :canada:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Surviving an avalanche is mostly luck. Pretty much all you can do to better the odds is dump your pack and run for your life for the biggest, heaviest thing you can get behind. Swimming to try to stay close to the surface while it's still flowing, bunching your arms up in front of you to create an air pocket once it starts to settle down, and everyone in the group having probing poles, shovels, and avalanche transcievers can improve your odds of being found if there's people looking for you immediately, but if you're alone and buried you're dead even if the impact trauma doesn't get you.

e: 100kPa of impact pressure is more than enough to kill you by itself. it's not a 1:1 comparison since an avalanche is a flowing fluid not a pressure wave, but a 10kPa pressure wave from an explosion will kill most people and severely injure everyone.

Isn’t there an inflatable avalanche survival vest that essentially keeps you at, or close to, the surface while the avalanche is in its viscous stage? I could have sworn there was.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what Nepal does. Their standard response has been to say "We're a poor country, we need the money."

There needs to be some per-day summit limit. Let the climbers have a battle royale, and the bleeding winners get to make a summit attempt the next day?

Don’t issue permits to anyone who has not already climbed one of the other 8km peaks, then raise price of permits.

The issue really though isn’t the permits and the money that comes from them though, the issue is how much Nepal’s economy relies on there being lots of climbers at Everest for months, and the Sherpa community almost completely reliant on them because helping those climbers is basically the only “well paying” job available to the Sherpas.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 28, 2019

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Kilimanjaro is a hike, not a climb. You still have the same high-altitude problems, but it doesn't weed out non-climbers.

e: Last I read, one third of the people who made it up to the top of K2 didn't make it down. And these were the best of the best.

Well K2 is the bonafide most dangerous mountain in the world to climb and the most dangerous 8km peak.

You actually have to be a skilled mountaineer to even attempt it because there is actual significant technical climbing involved, not just walking up the steep path along the ropes the Sherpa’s laid for you, then up a ladder on the Hillary step.

Everest is literally easy in comparison, where random Canadian ladies actually have a shot of making the summit and then not dying, whereas K2 that same Canadian woman has zero chance of doing either.

Also, since K2 is in Pakistan, there is the legit danger of the Pakistani Taliban trying to kidnap/kill you.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Old Boot posted:

This is the most random loving thing, but I finally managed to watch Doctors in the Death Zone, and while I was watching, something caught my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22rzD70s7gE

This is the song that was playing when they made it to the summit.

I've loved this guy's stuff for a while now, this is one of my favorite tracks off the album, so it tripped me out to hear it in some Everest documentary. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Anyway, good thread, even with the ups and downs and random conniption fits of 'grow a conscience.' This is one of the few that I've read start to finish in a surprisingly short amount of time, and it has an irritating habit of making me want to get off my sedentary rear end and actually do stuff.

Doing stuff is good! Just don’t go from sedentary to trying to climb 8km mountains. It would suck if the thread became about you.

That’s what this thread has taught me.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

simplefish posted:

Nobody enjoyed reading this either fyi

I did.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Best suicide ever for rich people. Pay someone to take you as far as you can go up Everest, then find a nice place to be a landmark for future stupid rich people climbing the mountain and go to sleep.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

I think it is a stretch to say it is morally wrong to climb a mountain, as much as I hate 99% of the rich people who climb the mountain; however, it is certainly morally wrong to have the attitude of, “that guy needs help? gently caress that guy, I am here to summit.”

I am a Marxist so I hate to sound like I am defending rich douche nozzles, but his argument that the money to climb could have saved a life of donated to charity is rather thin. You could say that about anything—if you never went to a single movie your entire life and instead donated all that money to charity—or even your profession...

Sure I could have saved more lives if I just joined the peace corps, and lived in the third world for no money my whole life, gently caress everything and everyone else I would have to give up; and that includes his tenures Princeton rear end sitting in the ivory tower, writing articles that he can talk about at his academic cocktail parties.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(the plaque reads)
Hier fiel
Für seine Heimat
Sepp Innerkofler

Here fell [I have no idea if this is "fell, died" or "fell, off a cliff" in the original German] for his home Sepp Innerkofler.

I am mildly surprised that the Italians haven't corrected the plaque to "in order to invade somebody else's country".

But was that Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the First World War? Keep in mind Italy actually invaded Austria during the First World War. In fact, much of what is now the “Italian Alps” was actually Austria-Hungarian territory prior to the end of World War One.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Munin posted:

Well, much of what is Northern Italy today was Austro-Hungarian territory. Italy, as a nation, only formed in the 1800s and the two major recurring themes was getting Austria out of "their" territory and the conflict for supremacy between the Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. You also had the entire business with the Papal States. The Kingdom of Venetia didn't get taken from Austria until 1871.

"Invaded" and "taken back" are slightly fraught concepts when the national identifies at play are still forming.

This particular peak was indeed part of the gains from WW1 though.

Of course they are, and call on notions of nationalism that do no longer operate in the same ways as nationalism does today.

My response was not, under any circumstances an attempt to explain the nuisance of the relationship between the nationalistic components present in the Habsburg Empire and Italian Irredentism. Instead it was to say precisely that the language of invader and invaded in this case is quite complicated; as a result of this, the original commentary about the Italians changing the signs fails in the face of that complexity.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Oracle posted:

Eh, after about -20 it all feels the same.

Granted that same is loving Cold(tm) but its not like humans don't routinely live in those temperatures in other areas of the world.

And routinely drop dead on accident while living in those conditions when they get trapped away from shelter for relatively short lengths of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
First COVID-19 patient to summit Everest. I honestly would not be surprised if someone tried.