Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

So far, so standard...........what surprises can possibly happen this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Diggin out the classics...

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

well, I guess you could get technical on it if ones already taken.

That's what everyone else has been doing since Tenzing and Hillary summited.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad KENTON COOL summited.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Back in 1996 Sandy Pittman was shredded in the press for daring to take a 'cappuccino making machine' which turned out to be a goofy pot thing that you shook to make a 'cappuccino'

quote:

In the weeks after the disaster, it was reported by Krakauer and other media that Hill brought a cappuccino machine to the Himalayas, along with her favorite Dean & DeLuca coffee beans.

Those luxuries allegedly came to symbolize the then-41-year-old's privileged position, since she paid around $65,000 like the rest of her team for a place in the group to climb the 29,000-foot peak.

'It conjures up this image of a giant professional espresso maker, when in fact it was a little coffee pot that percolates from the bottom, and just 8 inches tall,' Hill told The Post.

'You hear climbers pat each other on the back joking about so-and-so not being able to get out of his tent without his strong cup of coffee and he's considered this macho guy.

'But I'm at base camp, where a yak has carried up this coffee pot weighing less than a pound, and I'm making this frothy milk by putting powder in a jar and shaking it up and imagining that it's foaming.

And now, pool tables.

Sandy Pittman was a pioneer, man.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

So that australian lady who died was my vet's wife and i was joking earlier that i hoped he died on everest because the replacement vet was way nicer (MY GIRLFRIEND apparently knew the wife through the cat rescue org)

My question is thusly, do i have slightly innacurate superpowers?

You and me both buddy, our next door neighbour but one had a really annoying barky dog that would interminably bark ALL GODDAMN DAY, after 2 hours of it barking away while I was trying to relax in the garden I had some Very Bad Thoughts about this dog. Couple of days later I saw them carrying it to their car and driving away. The dog didn't come back with them. :/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

that means you have regular superpowers. it would be more like if the neighbour died.
do you try to use them for good?

Ha, do you know it has never occurred to me. I also managed to curse a boy that was bullying me into breaking his arm. My nan always went on that one of our distant relatives was the last witch in England to be burned at the stake (probably bullshit TBF), so I assume I have some passive powers mingling in my shriveled heart.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Under the Banner of Heaven is loving amazing. Also depressing as hell. :smith:

Yeah. I bought that after a recommendation from a previous Everest thread. I read about 50 pages and put it down, and never picked it up again :smith:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

Would`nt he have died if he stayed with her?The death zone is not a place you wanna hang out in for one minute more then you have to. Seems just as much a matter of survival to abandon her. Better one corpse then two.
And if you`re gonna make sure you survive why not summit as well. This way at least the trip was not a ccmplete loss. I dunno if i agree that marriage implies a obligation to pointlessly die with your spouse.

I think 'Ok honey, you're not in a good way, let's go back down TOGETHER' would be the noble thing to do.

Now he has the Pyrrhic victory of summitting Everest alone while leaving his wife to die.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

It's important to remember that both that guy and his wife were severely mentally incapacitated throughout the entire climb and especially up near the summit. His decision to leave her behind is similar to the decision an extremely drunk person might make when given responsibility for taking care of another severely drunk person. Any story he came up with is plausible based on that, but similarly, his memory of events is extremely unreliable and ultimately nobody will ever know exactly what took place, because there's no such thing as a reliable witness at eight thousand meters.

But let's face it, that pair are this year's Canadian yellow-suit lady.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Welcome to the 6th Annual Something Awful Everest thread!

Everest is the highest mountain on Earth. 8848 metres of rock.

It was first knowingly ascended by Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hilary in 1953. Since then more than 4000 people have summitted, and around 250 have died trying. A lot of those people are still up there, and have become landmarks for other hopeful climbers. The most notable one is known affectionately as 'Green boots', and resides in a cave close to the summit.

Dorje Morup aka Green Boots

There is a lot of controversy about the bodies on Everest, and every year people ask why they can't get the bodies down. For a start, even though climbing Everest is much 'easier' these days thanks to modern technology, you are still battling conditions at an altitude of cruising jets, with 30% of the oxygen you are used to. Your body is actively eating itself and you have to climb a single fixed line that is also being used by loads of other climbers of varying skills, under an incredibly strict time window. It is not a place where rescues happen easily, let alone chipping decades old bodies from a rock face. The air is too thin for helicopters - the highest ever rescue took place in 2013 and that was a struggle at 7000 metres.

Everest has been a source of fascination for me since the first thread I read on SA back in 2011, and I have read and digested more than I care to remember.

A good place to start is to read 'Into thin air' by Jon Krakauer which is about one of the most famous years on Everest. 1996 was the year that 15 people died, 8 in one night when they were caught in a terrible storm. It was made into a tv movie and was made into a movie which wasn't quite as good as it could/would/should have been, but did have some amazing shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQVpPiOji0

2006 was another bad year, with another large death toll, including one David Sharp who was stranded next to Green Boots and left to die while people passed him by to get to the summit. The 2006 year has a lot of footage available for us to watch, as there were at least 2 tv crews up there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLCIpovtkU

This is a good tv show but you will hear a LOT about Tim Medvitz's injuries. Also 'Ever-ever-ever-ever-rest rest rest' There are 3 seasons of this, the first two are definitely the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_CMD4R0ufk
This series follows some guys from the British army attempting to try to climb the quite frankly terrifying West Face, which has only been successfully climbed by 19 people, and it has killed 21 people.

2014 was hotly anticipated by goons after some notable failures in previous years, including this unfortunate Canadian Lady in 2012 who photoshopped herself into some mountain scenes as part of her climbing preparation.

It didn't end well.

Unfortunately for everyone the 2014 season was abruptly cut short when an avalanche killed 16 sherpas, making it the deadliest year in Everest's history. The remaining Sherpas refused to work out of respect for their colleagues, and probably knowing it was next to impossible to do without them, all expeditions were cancelled. This included a crazy bastard who wanted to Base Jump from the summit.

Last year was....well, terrible for everyone. There was a massive earthquake which devasted Nepal, and also set off an avalanche which swept through base camp killing 18 people, and taking out 21 in total. This effectively closed the mountain for the season, and fairly as the sherpas needed to get back to their family and look after their own. There is a lot of terrifying footage of the avalanche on YouTube to peruse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

So, bring on the climbers!! The avalanches!! The endless arguments about why they can't 'put a slide at the summit'!!

Also feel free to talk about other mountains, such as Everest's slightly smaller but much angrier cousin, K2, known affectionately as 'The Killer Summit' - it will eat you and literally chew you up, depositing your remains at its feet. Also caving, diving and any other sort of extreme sport which we can get freaked out by.

I have a youtube playlist with some more mountain documentaries on here-
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BnY01-OKSEuG1eT
Previous Threads-
I can't wait.

Oh, and mountain pug!

An amazing computer game!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE (link changed 31/05/16)
=======================

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD

We are morbid fuckers and there will be tasteless jokes, a death pool, pictures of dead bodies and general disrespect for the dead. Climbing this mountain is something that really ceased to be necessary after Norgay and Hilary summitted to anyone other than scientists, doctors and researchers who can test effects of high-altitude and the like. It is dangerous, unpredictable (as the last two years in particular have shown) and there isn't really much honour in getting local people to do all the heavy lifting for you for an embarrassingly small amount of money.

Remember this, and if you find it offensive, well. You're in the wrong forum really.

DEATHPOOL NUMBERS

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nether Postlude posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE 2016 EVEREST CLIMBING SEASON HAS ENDED
Unless you're one of those hipsters who includes the fall season

FINAL DEATH COUNT: SIX

I love that band! I saw 'em back in college before they got big.

SO WHO WON?

The OP for THIS THREAD was the first goon to guess the winning number for THIS DEATH POOL. A coincidence, gentle goons? I think not. :iiam:

:tinfoil:

:rip:

hhahahahaha, fuckin lol!

I told you earlier, I have magic powers. I can kill neighbour's dogs by the power of thought and also people who climb Everest.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

It's a common thing. The more expensive climbing companies have locks on their oxygen storage.

There was an incident on K2 where an Italian climbing team took over a guy's tent and refused to let him in when there was a raging killer storm. There was a quote along the lines of

'Yesterday it was your tent, tomorrow it is your tent, but today, it is ours'

:smith:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, here is a reference to it. With some proper gory details-

https://k2bottleneck.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/chris-warner-talks-to-google-employees-about-k2/

quote:

A video of Chris Warner talking to Google employees about leadership is on Broadband sports. It is a year or 2 old but a really good one about K2. Recently, he was rescued off Makalu, so seeing his thoughts here on K2 were insightful.

Chris Warner tried to climb K2 in 2002 ,2005 and 2007. By 2002 he had climbed Everest so was looking for another adventure. He was asked to climb K2 as part of an expedition with 12 other climbers. These were supposed to be elite climbers. Instead he was to find out this was the worst team he was ever on. He said they would not have been able to organize a picnic it was so bad.

He said that the leader of the expedition was a former LSD dealer who had spent 7 years in gaol. When he got out he wanted to never sleep inside again so he organized trips to the Himalayas and Pakistan.

The day the expedition was ending, he saw a man fall 5000 feet down the mountain. When this climber hit the slopes he exploded red. He stopped 500 feet from where all of the climbers were. There was a red trail down the slope from where he had fallen. His whole body had parts in the wrong place. The body had to be wrapped so that no one could see it, it was so shocking. they wrapped 2 tents around him, yet still his blood poured from it. It was not till they wrapped a garbage bag around the body did it stop bleeding.

Like all other climbers who die on K2, his plate was taken and they etched his name on it. The plate is then hung on the Gilkey memorial, which is a cairn.

In 2005 Chris Warner had learnt his lesson from the 2002 and decided to do it with only one trusted friend. They reached 25,000 feet on 2 occasions but were stopped by gigantic snow storms. When they decided to leave the mountain, they were completely exhausted. He had lost 35 pounds. He was peeing blood. And on the way out he kept saying to himself he was going to come back.

Amazingly, out of the first expedition where there were 12 climbers, 6 have since died.

In 2007 he organized an expedition to K2. They put people on it, not based on resume but on their proven record. One of the guys he put on it was Don Bowie. Though he had never summited an 8000m mountain he had a good record in high mountains and was a rescuer. And another a guy called Bruce Norman.

They had three goals:

1. All get back safely

2. Summit K2

3. Do it a style they were happy with.

They got there at June 1st and there were huge avalanches coming down.

On the second day there Bruce Watson nearly died while climbing over an icefall. The floor dropped away and he fell 25 feet down a crevasse. He was only tied by a rope to Chris Warner that stopped him falling further. Then the ground below Warner exploded and he fell 5 feet down another crevasse!

In June and July there were many attempts to climb the mountain but snow storms stopped them each time. They had to put 500 pounds of equipment up the mountain like tents and rope even in these storms. They would push no matter what the weather was like.

At camp 3 things really slowed down. The snow was waist deep. They could only make progress of only a 100 feet in a day before having to give up because of exhaustion. Then they decided that a team of 3 was too small to climb K2.

Once all the teams had experienced failure and not made it past camp 3 they decided to team together. They knew that if they did not come together no one was going to make it to the top. All of the team leaders got together and came up with a plan. The plan was to leave on the 15th of July which was Chris Warner’s team 5th attempt.

Climbing to camps 1 and 2 they were faced with low visibility and snow and winds at 60mp/h. They had to continually do frostbite checks. When they got to camp 3 the problem was that all of the other groups had turned back when the snow storms hit on the first day. So they had to make a push by themselves, despite the waist deep snow.

The next morning the weather was crystal clear. They went so slow that some of the other groups caught up with them from lower camps. The progress was so slow they could not make it to camp 4 so they all camped at what they called camp 3 and a half, 500 feet above camp 3.

They reached camp 4 under perfect conditions. That left them about 2700 feet to the summit. They were carrying the 3000 feet of ropes needed for summit day. They gave out equipment to the stronger members of the other teams. There was planned a staggered leaving of the groups so the lead would break trail, then the next would catch up and then lead.

Warner’s team took the third leg as this was the most dangerous. He did not want others in charge of their lives at this stage. And after them, the Russian group using oxygen would overpass them and take everyone to the summit. Warner’s team was the only one not using oxygen.

They left late in the night about 11pm, hoping to be at the summit about 12 hours later. Drama happened early when one of the Sherpas fell down the south face and died. He was only earning $25 a day to lead the Korean team. He may have been trying to pass some other climbers, and disconnected the rope and then fell. He tumbled down the bottleneck and went 9000 feet down.

Chris Warner thought about what he was going to do after this but decided he would keep going as he felt great and had been training for this day all of his life. And the day was perfect. The Korean team though was in shock and they knew that they could not be relied upon to do their job anymore.

Without the Koreans they would be lacking some equipment. At one point they ran out of equipment. So they called for the Russians to take the lead much earlier than expected because they had oxygen and were a strong team. The Russians brought rope and with some others helped set up the route.

Eventually they reached the summit with many other members from other groups. It took 15 1/2 hours to reach the summit much longer than expected. They reached it at 4:45 in the afternoon. Of the 25 who left in the morning, 14 made the summit. The Italian team apparently had not been communicating with each other all day, so they became separate, yet reached the summit.

A Czech climber made it to the summit then told Warner’s group that he felt very sick. This left them in a quandary. He had been vomiting all day and was dehydrated.

On the way down, it turned really cold maybe minus 20. Then they saw 2 climbers at nearly 5 in the afternoon still trying to reach the summit. They tried to dissuade them making the attempt but to no avail. It was the Italian team who had poor communication all day.

As it neared 8pm, Warner’s group were reaching the end of the rope, from where there would be an easier passage to camp 4. Then they came across what looked like a piece of garbage but was the Czech climber. he had collapsed and was suffering from hypothermia. They had to drag him in to their tents, and not his because his was too far away. Warner had to give his tent to the Czech and the tent was cramped because it was really only made for 3 people.

Warner went to the Italian camp and the one who was there had summited earlier. The Italian had no idea where his other team members were. Warner saw that they were at the top of the bottleneck, and were at least 3 hours away. He suggested to the Italian that if his teammates were not there by 12 midnight, that they all go and rescue them.

One of the Italians makes it back to camp. The other asks where is his fellow climber and he replies that he is right behind. They then fall asleep thinking the other is fine. Then at 3 in the morning they wake up, and one decides to look for the other climber, but the other one fell asleep. Warner’s group were not alerted that the climber was still missing. After 15 minutes the Italian returns without the missing climber. They then both fell asleep.

At 7 in the morning a blizzard hit the camps. They knew they had to get off the mountain in case they were to get trapped at a high altitude. A Portuguese climber and then the Russians take off down the mountain. The Italians leave their tents and try follow the Russians but lose the tracks and return to Warner. Warner is then told that the other Italian, Stefano, is dead. he had not even a radio. What emerged was that the dead climber had been left without a radio so the other could use the radio to get back down to camp. he had been left by his partners for dead.

One of the teams was in such a panicked state to leave they left a pair of crampons. So someone stole a pair from Warner’s team. That meant one of this team had to climb without crampons in a raging blizzard.

As they make it to camp 3, Don Bowie, without crampons slips and breaks his leg. They have to get Bowie down and the sick Czech climber, and they are 2 days from safety. The plan is for Bowie and Warner to go first and make it to the safety of camp 2 with the extra sleeping bag. But when they get there 4 other people are in their tent. The Italians said that they could not sleep in their tent because someone had let the flap open and ice was in it. An Italian climber was sleeping in Bowie’s sleeping bag. But the Italian said that he could not sleep in it, he would have to wait a day. That left Bowie and Watson having to sleep in the other tent with no sleeping bag.

Eventually they all made it to advance base camp and some Czech climbers came out to help Bowie. The next day 40 people come from base camp and have a stretcher for Bowie. Four days later a helicopter arrived to take Bowie out.

Warner found out that later the 2 Italian climber who were with Stefano spent 15 minutes with his family on the way back. Way too small a time. Warner was so appalled he flew to Italy and spent 8 hours with them.

What they could not work out was why Warner’s team made it to the summit and back safely and tried to rescue climbers, while Stefano’s team did not try rescue him. The Italian expedition leader said that above 8000m it was every man for himself.

Warner said the lesson from mountaineering was that if you put your desires ahead of the team, someone was going to die.

Aha, found the quote I was thinking of here- (page 29)
http://faculty.darden.virginia.edu/clawsonj/COURSES/TACTICAL_LEADERSHIP/OB-0979_K2_CONDENSED.pdf

quote:

Bowie‘s fight to reach Camp Two lasted until 8:00 p.m. that night. Unknown to him, when he arrived at the small Camp Two plateau, his headlamp had fallen off and plummeteddown the south side of the ridge in the darkness. Upon arriving, he immediately wriggled into a
borrowed tent—something that had been prearranged between Warner and the Portuguese climber. Some of the American team‘s gear was already there, including Bowie‘s extra sleeping bag. The three Italians and the Iranian climber were already inside the three-person tent. Bowie asked one of the Italian climbers who was in his sleeping bag, ―Hey, would you mind if I used this sleeping bag because I‘ve got a broken leg? According to Bowie, he responded,―Yesterday, this was your sleeping bag, tomorrow this will be your sleeping bag, but today this is my sleeping bag.
When Bowie asked for water, no one would give him any.

That whole year on K2 was a massive clusterfuck.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 9, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Look where I was today.

haha, I recognised that straight away. Did you take that pic to line up with the one she photoshopped herself into? I know I have done stuff like that before- it's hard to explain to my partner/whoever I'm with.

"Well you see there was this woman who climbed Everest and she died and we all take the piss out of her - and other people who die up there too- and she photoshopped herself into this scene and now she is a thread legend wait come back"

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

haha "Poon Hill"

This is an actual restaurant in my home town.

I have eaten there on many occasions, it is excellent.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey gang, I can't remember if this has been posted before, but there is a documentary featuring our favourite Canadian lady on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcHBFs-qME

VV it was originally aired in 2012 so probably a reupload, but I don't remember much of it. There is loads of footage of her own, plus talking head interviews with her which is a little spooky.VV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, this thread did got moved! :) I have never ever ventured into RSF so I might have to have a look around. Thanks to whoever resurrected it. :cheers:

Picnic Princess posted:

If this is the meanest thread these folks have seen on Something Awful, they probably haven't been lurking enough.

I almost feel obliged to take part in this thread, what with coming within inches of my life on a mountain. I know first hand how much these peaks want to murder us, I think I offer a unique insider's perspective.

:justpost:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tafferling posted:

Borrow a yellow jacket from a fellow tourist/sherpa for that magic moment.

As the thread OP I demand this be done.

Thanks for taking the time to upload these pics for us though! They are seriously spectacular.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Sony was focused on making a decent console without taking any risks. Nintendo was down to take a few risks but still make it a decent console. Sega was going full Atari.

No no wait I got this

Sony= Russell Brice
Nintendo= Tim Medvitz
Sega= Yellow Jumpsuit Canadian woman

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

(I couldn't remember the original source pic for the background so, meh.)

Good work Elwood. Good work.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
drat, that thread got weird quick, sorry Elwood. :/

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

Yeah I think having it in this subforum would be fine. I don't want the thread to die because it's one of the main things that inspired me to go to Nepal in the first place and that's a cool thing in my books.

I will pay you money and be your friend forever if you could snag me one of those 'Everest no problem' Bart Simpson tshirts that was posted earlier.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there should be a folk song called 'The Ballad of Green Boots'.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DumbparameciuM posted:

*ahem*, I've been promised a John Cena doll for whenever that hypoxic tourist suplexes a sherpa off the Kangshung Face. I don't come to this thread for the death pool though. Not sure why we needed to make a 2017 thread, especially one in GBS when this one is perfectly suitable but then I am a garbage dick noobie and I still don't really get how most of this gigantic internet dungeon operates so w/e.

This one right? If there's any interest I might do a run of printed ones. Nowhere near as cool or legit as the embroidered ones though :saddowns:

I would definitely get one, as the OP of these last few sick threads it'd be my duty.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Truly the hero this thread needs and deserves.

I must get round to posting the pictures from the Meg and Mog Everest story. It's got everything.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

There's a Meg and Mog Everest story?!?

Oh my, they animated it!!

https://youtu.be/SeSenrsQtwc

It has everything!!! Yaks, Sherpas hauling poo poo up the mountain, butter tea, getting lost in the fog and flying a broomstick from the summit

Perfection.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Also a poo poo in the snow. I was waiting for some cheeky green boot somewhere but alas

Yeah that would have been amazing. I think the original book predates old Green Boots though.

Meg- first woman to broomstick off the peak of Everest

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Godspeed you Greenboots!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh yeah, so for goons with Snapchat, EverestNoFilter is headed back to try and summit again. I still follow them from the first attempt so I'll be watching.

I don't really understand Snapchat other than the filters, I've followed them though or whatever it is you do on it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So....is there going to be a new thread or just a title change for this one? (I vote the latter)

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wicked, I think it is probably better this way, the annual poo poo posts at the start of the new threads was always annoying.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
loving hell! Everest, that's enough this year, you took out the big dog.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/swiss-machine-ueli-steck-killed-in-mt-everest-accident/

quote:

A group of six rescuers discovered a body of the multiple-record holder mountaineer near Nuptse Face of the Mt Everest where he could have slipped and fell on the ice-covered slope. “The team has collected the scattered parts of the climber’s body.”

:(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Also, yeah..... worried for Ueli, suicide by mountain????
A lot of us saw this coming..
:( :( :(

Rondette fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Sorry I meant when they had the fight about ropes with sherpas. It was referenced in that Himalayan times article. I can look it up again myself later, just I'm at work right now

They were climbing above Sherpas who were setting up ropes for the 'tourist climbers' and I think knocked some ice down over some of them and it all kicked off.

Edit- have an article https://www.outsideonline.com/1929351/everest-brawl-sherpas-tale

Rondette fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 30, 2017

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking no pleasure in being right about this one. :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Popularly known was Swiss Machine, the 41-year-old Swiss alpinist was climbing Mt Nuptse solo when he slipped and fell some 1,000 metres down the mountain, severing his body into bits and pieceson the treacherous terrain, according to other mountaineers.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/body-parts-swiss-machine-airlifted-mt-everest/

He goddamn exploded on the mountains.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saint Jerome posted:

And everyone knew how much he loved falling to his death and exploding into pieces.

Well, how else could he have possibly gone I mean

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This thread.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some South African has just been found hiding in a cave, trying to avoid paying the summit fee. Now he has been fined double.

https://rusreality.com/2017/05/09/climber-a-stowaway-is-hiding-in-a-cave-on-mount-everest/