Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
K2 is also the only mountain to gave a board game dedicated to it's bastardliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Underwater Shoe posted:

The Hillary Step is confirmed to have been reduced to rubble by the earthquake. Not clear at this stage what the impact will be on the queue of climbers attempting to summit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39989992

Everest really is the mountain that just keeps giving.

Eta- I could almost imagine Hillary smiting his titular step from beyond the grave in disgust.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

So are they streaming? How can they have internet up there?

I overcame my disgust with puppy face filters and wanted to install snapchat but it turns out there's no PC version and my phone is small and old.

There's a summit push video on their YT but it's short and vertically recorded with a phone.

gently caress this poo poo

One of their (girl?)friends is doing updates. I just skipped through them as they were quite dull but it is amusing to see her getting more and more knackered looking as she awaits news.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

She's boring because she was up all night posting. She exhausted, I was watching the bags under her eyes grow. She's also a super badass climber who's also been up Everest. It's actually where she and Adrian met. I think she's awesome.

I get that that was why she looked haggard as gently caress. I'm sure she is cool but it was video after video of her face and I got bored of looking at her. I was watching them all in one big wedge so i just wanted to hear if they'd summitted and see pictures of the mountain, not a tired girl. I liked the bits where she was outside climbing and chatting. That was cool.

Anyway good on them all for summiting!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

Wasn't there some story (Everest or K2) about someone coming to the highest altitude camp only to find their tent occupied and full, and the tenant most definitely not going anywhere.

I mean, up there it once it probably is a question of survival, if your tent has been blown to four winds and you need shelter now you will likely just take if there's an empty one, but...

Yeah K2, an Italian party were in the guy's tent and when he confronted them they said something obnoxious like 'yesterday it was your tent , tomorrow it is your tent, today.....it is ours.'

You almost have to admire their craven ways.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Kathmandu Airport totally terrifying to land on? Like you gently caress it up, you crash into/off a mountain.

Eta-49 people. :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He died doing what he loved. Falling and screaming.

Massive shame he died, but I thought (and pretty much said here before his death) that it was a suicide mission.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This just popped up on my FB feed. It's now in the OP and also I also edited the OP a bit (took out the deathpool and changed the dates of stuff. I don't have so much time at the moment so if anyone has suggestions/edits for the OP let me know)

Rondette fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 12, 2018

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if that will make it easier then. Looking forward to the Everest hipsters who brag about climbing the step. 'Oh you climbed it post step. Ok. Let me tell you how much harder i had it'

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That reminded me, I drew a picture of that guy. God that was an amazing thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
we watched this the other day, if you want to watch a harrowing as gently caress survival story I have you covered.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOmvxOcr4E

His extremities freeze and his fingers start breaking off, while his mate succumbs to hypothermia and goes crazy. They are lying trapped on a thin ridge of mountain. A helicopter finds them but can't rescue them so they fly away and leave them for another couple of days of Hell.