Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Needs more confetti shooting and boulders crashing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah poo poo I didn't know there was a pool going. Ah well I got myself down for 3

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Beastie posted:

It's not in the OP but when does climbing usually start?

A quick search says most groups try and summit around early May so we should be getting some activity in the upcoming days

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Watched the k2 siren of the himalayas documentary on netflix and it was refreshing to see people actually turn around and not risk death within earshot of the peak.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

First goon to have touched a vagina and the summit within the span of a decade

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

pfft i could climb it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I wish I was some big baller. I want to buy off every Sherpa to never climb again and leave all these idiots on their own

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Val Helmethead posted:

This thread has gotten me bitten with the wanderlust bug. Got a mini-vacation planned to hike Mt. Katahdin later this month, the first of my many future conquests before I die alone on a 8K gasping for air.

Katahdin has some legit scrambles. You’ll have fun. I’ve heard it’s beautiful up there. Here was my view

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My friend and I want to do the AT so badly :smith:. I used to hike the portion in the Presidential Range in Gorham, NH, every year.

It's just such a gigantic undertaking and a logistical nightmare. Now I need to reread Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" again.....

Do it! It’s a lot easier than people make it out to be.

The “hardest” and most annoying part of the trail was figuring out how the hell youre getting to town and back for a resupply.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Why didn’t you wait for that jackass to get down off the sign before you took the picture? :downswords:

The elements almost beat me. Since it was such an awful day no one was coming up and 5 months of work with no one there to take my picture at the very end was a huge letdown. I huddled behind a cairn for 45 minutes in the freezing cold and rain just hoping someone would appear out of the mist. Eventually I gave up and as I was mentally preparing myself for this huge bummer of not getting a picture at the sign another hiker came up and was able to take it. On my way down I saw no one else on their way up. I was one of 4 people to have summitted that day.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did you know you can turn cameras around?

For a boring ol close up selfie I think not!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hiking Olympus Mons is also walking what more or less is flat ground. A boring hike.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

But will I freeze to death in the middle of it?

https://twitter.com/MarsWxReport/status/1005242339944693761

Maybe

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My goal is to die in my best goatse spread

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is so incredibly badass

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Carry them with you imo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yikes that didn’t even look natural

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There’s a hut prior to the summit you can stay at. I had the luxury of staying in “The Dungeon” which is just an emergency storm shelter with enough space for 6 bunks. The howling wind was pretty cool throughout the night. The next day was pretty pleasant and lightly breezy just completely covered in clouds with about 5ft visibility. No one could even see me mooning the cog train!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

Something I read about Everest that really stuck with me (I think it may have been in Into Thin Air actually) was that in an effort to shave off every last little bit of unneeded weight, some of the climbers were cutting their toothbrushes in half.

The amount of gear min/maxing you have to do in order to give yourself the best odds of surviving at that altitude is just mind-boggling.

Fuckin' weight weenies

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

K2 is the cool hipster mountain now since Everest is popular and crowded. Luckily K2 will murder everyone

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Someone open up the GBS thread again so I can get some quality shitposting in

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/mt-everest-winter-climbers-ascent-12480294

The rare turn back and sanity prevented that winter ascent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

First COVID-19 patient to summit Everest. I honestly would not be surprised if someone tried.

First summit with a ventilator hell yea