Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that climbing 8000‐m peaks without supplemental oxygen is dumb.

I can respect taking harder routes, climbing in the winter, and things like that.

Declining to use bottled oxygen, though, doesn’t make the thing you’re doing more challenging, it just makes you suck more at doing it.

I’m sure it would be harder to climb Everest if you put on fifty kilograms beforehand or if you brought nothing to drink but brandy, but those handicaps aren’t laudable, they’re foolhardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is any summit considered harder than K2?

I know that Annapurna kills more climbers, but that’s mostly in avalanches. Avalanches don’t make the climb harder, they just add a Russian roulette element.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best way to climb is to have a huge, luxurious team of Sherpas to carry all the bottled oxygen you could possibly need.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

That's exactly how Gloria Shah-Klorfine died, though. She had far more bottles than she could possibly need, except she used them all up way too fast and then ran out and died in a traffic jam on the way down, despite her huge, luxurious team of Sherpas begging her to stop doing that.

It was possible she needed more.

What’s the point of climbing Everest if you can’t take a bunch of selfies at the top?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Great Scott, I was joking when I wrote:

Platystemon posted:

I’m sure it would be harder to climb Everest if you put on fifty kilograms beforehand or if you brought nothing to drink but brandy, but those handicaps aren’t laudable, they’re foolhardy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Honj Steak posted:

If Mt Everest was in Switzerland they would have done this already

pre‐drilled for explosives in case of German invasion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Microwaves Mom posted:

Every year dozens die climbing the tatas of Idaho and Wyoming.

I thought Penicillin put an end to that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wyoak posted:

I dunno man standing on the highest point in the whole world would be a cool thing to do and if you don't see how that's a draw I don't know what to say

I walked to the lavatory on an airliner at 39000 feet.

Wrap it up, mountainailures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I saw a post on imgur where apparently an imgur flag is summiting Everest this season. I hope that one dies specifically, I don't really care about the total corpsehaul for the season.

Inform the Nepalese government that that flag represents a vile place and that its presence would defile the mountain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syd Midnight posted:

I wonder if its even possible to make a nice cup of tea up there. At base camp water boils at 180F (82C), and by camp 4, its down to 166F (74.5C). Nobody is trying to bake a cake up there or anything, but I bet not being able to heat water beyond "really hot kitchen faucet" temperatures must gently caress up or complicate the brewing of decent tea or coffee. And you'd only have a couple minutes to get it down the hatch.

Those temperatures are fine for green tea.

Alternatively, use a pressure vessel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bip Roberts posted:

Probably aconcagua. It's high but you can get to the top without anything technical and it's reasonably well traveled so there's more logistic support.

I think this is right, it’s always been the cheating way to “prove” you’re ready for Everest (if you need something more substantial than Photoshop, anyway).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Trump is doing a summit bid?

But Trump’s “small loan” was $1 million.

plugs numbers into inflation calculator

Son of a bitch!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Helicopter firms are carrying out unauthorised sightseeing flights over the upper reaches of Mount Everest, Nepalese officials say.

Sherpas have expressed concerns that vibrations caused by the helicopters could trigger avalanches.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's south of the Sahara, which is a north south divide for Africa.

It’s also south of the geographic midpoint of the continent, which lies in Cameroon.

Still, the correct term is “southern Africa”, or “sub‐Saharan Africa”, not “south Africa”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Microwaves Mom posted:

First everest serial killer. Think of the books you could publish and sell!

Son of Sam ruined it for everyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Microwaves Mom posted:

I think the mountain angle is good though, because you can claim this poo poo but no one can ever prove it unless there are witnesses. What forensics team is gonna risk life and limb to go up the mountain to try and retrieve trampled over and ruined evidence on corpse mountain. Its like looking for a specific needle in a needle haystack.

If I Did It

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DuckConference posted:

Not wanting to carry around a bucket of poo poo is some weird cultural quirk I guess

I would be amused if it’s not really a cultural taboo. Maybe Sherpas are no more or less averse to carrying excrement than anyone else, it’s just that they’re smart enough to take an opportunity for a well‐earned bonus when they see it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Still less dumb that “hurr durr Mauna Kea is taller if you count the portion under the ocean [and fail to count the portion of Everest below the ocean because … ?]”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

webmeister posted:

Because Everest is a long long way from an ocean (it just sticks out of a continental plate). Mauna Kea is literally just one rock that goes all the way down to the sea floor.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's a pretty significant difference.

At that point you’re talking about something other than the tallest mountain.

What are the secret criteria a mountain has to meet to be considered? Why isn’t the tallest mountain Mount Lamlam on Guam, with the Mariana Trench right next door?

If the North Indian Plain disqualifies Everest, why accept Mauna Kea’s gentle slope? Why not limit it to mountains as pointy as Trango Tower or Cerro Torre?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a cyberpunk goose posted:

they are supplementing with soylent :lol:

The heavy metals kill non‐essential organs so there’s less tissue that needs oxygen.

#lifehack

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 19, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do gingers count?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait so was it hypothermia or what

Maybe it was murder.

If it was, no one will ever know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of the desecration of a holy mountain, what’s the breakdown on how many Westerners respect the local beliefs vs. how many have to stand on the very highest point?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Of the Seven Summits, how do those rank in difficulty?

Denali: legit

Aconcagua: has altitude, but otherwise an easy climb

Kilimanjaro: easy mode

Ararat: not even one of the Seven :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EngineerJoe posted:

Sorry that you live in the stone age :(

Haven’t you heard? Even tribesmen on the Dark Continent have mobile phones these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of these things is not like the others.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

Fly around the world 500 times while on 27000 doses of ecstasy and eating 1.3 million charcoal broiled steaks.

Maybe the Everest climbers are on to something, it certainly seems like the cheapest way to play Russian roullette compared to some of these alternatives.

Actual Russian Roulette: 166,667 micromort with a six‐shooter.

Only Four times more than Everest. Way cheaper.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 25, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zo posted:

1 in 100 is misleading anyway. Every year there are a bunch of super elite pros who are less likely to die, so if you're an amateur, even 1 in 50 would probably be generous.

Like our favorite Asian Canadian lady was probably 1 in 5.

Lhakpa Sherpa (the Connecticut housekeeper) is ruining the curve.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Glass Joe posted:

What is that little peak in the near background?

e: I changed my mind.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s Ama Dablam

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mega64 posted:

Also I like that she's a hero for failing to climb a mountain.

I like this line of thought. It implies that I, too am a hero.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

You didn't die. Fix this one thing and then we're golden.

Never has hot pink text been so useful to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Recently, a couple of guys mounted an expedition to Mount Illimani (summit 6438 m) in Bolivia in search of the unrecovered cockpit recorders of Eastern Air Lines flight 980.

They documented it as a series of blog posts, and it’s a good read. Start at the bottom. Unfortunately, the format spoils the ending.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If helicopter ascents are ever publicly offered, I’d be tempted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skeesix posted:

Apparently libertarian candidate Gary Johnson climbed Everest.

How many mysterious deaths were there that season?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Some purists maintain that it was not Hillary and Norgay that made the first “true” ascent of Everest, but rather Messner and Habeler. But this is to judge former accomplishments by today’s refined standards.

“Refined” my arse.

Climbing without oxygen doesn’t make the mountain tougher, it just makes you suck more.

If you want a challenge, and have a death wish, climb K2 in the winter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol you’re not a man unless you climb Everest naked while carrying a human sacrifice for Chomolungma on your shoulders

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HairyManling posted:

This was an interesting thread. Wish I had come across before it was so late in the season. A question about Everest. Is the Everest climb a very difficult one itself or is it mainly the environment? What I mean is, say you could lay out replicas of all the tricky parts, but at sea level on a warm day - is it something that anyone with a moderate level of fitness could manage?

After training in stuff like how to use ropes, crampons, and ice axes, sure.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 12, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

what's the point of raising the alarm once he's dead, recovered, and stashed somewhere safe?

“Hey everybody, you may not have noticed, but this mountain is deadly!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it’s neat that K2 is named after a surveyor’s designation because none of the locals were foolhardy enough to even get within sight of the thing.