Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

elwood posted:

This didn't get the attention it deserves in the old thread. It's a slooooooow download though.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do about hosting.

I'm really proud to be the first white woman from Texas to make a game based on the misadventures of a south Asian woman from Canada so I'll take a moment to give a bit more context. #Everest is a survival sim about climbing Mt. Everest where your objective is to get the highest score. You are scored based on how many likes the selfies you take in-game get, so you have to balance taking survival gear with dumb bullshit like guitars that will look cool in a picture. I tied the game to the real Twitter account @HashtagEverest so you can tweet all the pictures you take there from the game itself. The game is ~fully voice acted~ and is crammed full of as many retarded references to these threads as I thought I could get away with. It is my love letter to you, Everest death poolers, and it's free, so please check it out! http://slamfighter.com/download

Does anyone know a better solution to hosting the 185MB zip than mediafire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Enfield posted:

lmao are you loving serious

Time for the full pitch :eng101:

Get the runtimes
If you don't install the XNA runtimes linked on the download page the game won't work and it's not gonna be my fault.

Get Outfitted

You can't take any more than what you and your three teammates can carry between the four of you. With inventory space limited, bringing one item means leaving another. #Everest is a game of opportunity costs. you must balance your selection of the props that will get your selfies to earn the most likes with the equipment needed to survive the trek to the next great photo op.

Be unique...ish! Change up the colors of your gear and play as either a dude or a lady.
(Voice of Michael A. Zekas)
(Voice of forums poster Xibanya)

Make your mark

Time waits for no mountaineer in the unforgiving altitudes of the mountain locals refer to as "The Holy Mother." Take too long trying to get the perfect selfie and you won't be able to make camp before temperatures plunge at nightfall, but make sure you don't lose your cool because if you forget to pack anything back up, it will be lost on the mountain forever.

There's no garbage collection service on Mt. Everest. Carry your trash with you or dump it on the mountain. It's your choice.

Post selfies

The player character will be posting to their fictional in-game social media accounts throughout the game, but you can choose to post the pictures you take in-game to the player character's real twitter account, @HashtagEverest or connect your own twitter account and post to it through the game! How's that for meta?

Ziggy Starfucker's Guide to Chilling on Mt. Everest

Make sure each character has enough food, half rations reduce your health/stamina regen and running out completely will slowly deplete your health
Most status ailments will go away after enough rest. Having a medical kit in someone's inventory will help, resting at landmarks and especially the camps will help too
Having a sleeping bag for each character and a tent for the whole party increases health and stamina regen while resting
Having lots of crazy and heavy junk in your photo will get more likes and comments. Make sure you retrieve your junk before leaving the photo screen
Water bottles aren't necessary but prevent any chance of dysentery. Having a water treatment kit in someone's inventory reduces the chance of dysentery but doesn't prevent it
Wearing goggles greatly reduces the chance of snowblindness and retinal hemorrhaging, but wearing shutter shades for your photos gives more likes
Climbing around bottlenecks will probably get someone killed, but having climbing harnesses and ascenders equipped reduces the chance. Having fixed lines in someone's inventory and an icepick equipped on at least character helps further
Traveling at night reduces movement speed and increases chance of hypothermia. Try resting at landmarks until daybreak
You can get a rough estimate of your travel speed by looking at the walking animation speed of your party
Blizzards inflict damage and increase the chance of hypothermia and snowblindness unless you rest at a landmark with a tent or at a camp
Prevent/heal hypoxia with a breathing mask and oxygen bottles. By default oxygen use is disabled so you don't burn through your bottles at lower altitudes

:siren:DOWNLOAD IT NOW:siren:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 12, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
btw to whoever is playing now, not sure if you know this but you can move the people around and you get points by having the items in the picture. If they're in your inventory when you take the picture they don't add anything to your score.

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693495122793750529

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rondette posted:

Added to the OP

Awesome, thanks! Also can you add the download link? It's http://slamfighter.com/download

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
By the way I'm gonna put my money on 15 dead this year. A little more modest than previous years; my thought is that Everest will use this year to get everyone's guard down so that next year it can consume even more hapless climbers than before.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OK, who was this?

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693622069154570240

By the way, to those playing the game: you get more points by taking pictures with dumb useless bullshit. Stop being tryhards and take more dumb useless bullshit with you.

I'm also going to push an update soon because I realize I misspelled "western cwm," might also need to include a feature that allows the player to check the actual death pool in-game.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

origami posted:

I wonder if anybody has been murdered on Everest for their oxygen or something else.

I am not entering the death pool because I don't really want anybody to die but if they do die I hope it's really funny like Canadian photoshop lady.

A climber did die in part because someone stole their oxygen in the death zone, or so I've heard.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Something like house-sized seracs or so I've read somewhere.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Easiest way as I see it would be to replace one of their oxygen tanks with a tank of nitrous oxide. They wouldn't even notice they were suffocating. Bonus - take a spare for yourself and do whip-its at base camp to pass the time while acclimatizing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm gonna release a patch for the game probably on Friday. I'm gonna put the death pool as it is by midnight CST tonight in the game as something accessible from the pause menu, so make your bets in the next six hours or you'll have to wait a few weeks for your prediction to end up in the next public build.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SaNChEzZ posted:

What is this game?

#Everest, a game I made largely based on the life and times of our favorite Canadian Lady and the yearly Everest threads. I gave a little synopsis upthread that got quoted in the OP. Download and play it now, then download and play it again once I release the next build some time this weekend with some massive tweaks and improvements. Bonus - special world record just for you included with every playthrough!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I rewatched the 1996 IMAX documentary the other night. Holy crap is that documentary 90s as gently caress.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Comrade Koba posted:

It just gives me a pop-up window telling me I'm not running the latest version, and I should go to the website and download it. :(

I'll have a look at that, might be a caching issue with our server. Regardless, the game should still start after you click OK in the window! Let me know if it doesn't as that'd be a serious bug!

(If it really won't start the game, turn off your internet and try running the game, if it can't connect to the server it won't give you a popup at all.)

E: when did you download it? I checked our server and it's fine; I double checked the game code and that should be fine. Maybe you downloaded it before we pushed the update? Regardless, the game should still start; let me know if it doesn't.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 16, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
New build of #Everest is up! Lots of stability/bugfixes here and yes, death pool predictions!

v.1.3.0 Changelog posted:

Added logging for debug purposes
NPC Climbers have water in inventory by default
Removed screenshake (was causing janky z-buffer issues)
Oxygen now consumed at lower rate
Game speed increased
Mature content mode! Mature content can now be toggled on or off via the options menu. I believe that means that #Everest now falls under the category of "Games for Grandma"
"Unread" indicators added to inventory shop pages and to teammate climber inventories
Added many new inventory item art assets
In prep shop window, item descriptions now display on phone screen rather than in a separate tooltip window
Added headphones advisory to pretitle screens
Improved exception handling
Fixed bug where game occasionally crashed in Talk mode due to unhandled unicode-related exceptions
Fixed bug that caused teammate death to persist into new playthroughs in same session
Fixed bug: prep menu hover windows visible in main game phase right after embarking
Fixed bug: alpha blending sometimes not working right when phone drops in main game phase
Fixed bug: clicking during pixel shader transition caused crash
Fixed bug: hallucinatory landmark not disappearing in subsequent playthroughs in same session
Fixed bug: teammate death persisting in subsequent playthroughs in same session

Microwaves Mom posted:

I asked the computers to do some art for us

This is amazing.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 5, 2016

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Umm OK I'm totally adding Constipation as a negative status in the next update of #Everest.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When I made #Everest I didn't mean to make a documentary but I'll take it!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Chichevache posted:

For 25k you could pay me and 24 of my friends to be wingmen for life. You'll get laid way more often, and you don't even have to leave the state (but 25 people will all lie and say you did).

Does this include all of you paying your own cover charges and drinks at bars and clubs or would a taker on this still need to cover those? In the case of the latter, this is less a bargain and more on parity for value.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

djssniper posted:

Wow saying womans oxygen bottles were stolen... rich theives on Everest

This is in fact one of many pleasant things that can happen to you while playing the game I made based on these threads. (Play my game! It's linked in the OP!) I think a few years ago some semi-famous mountaineer died in part because he had a cache of o2 bottles he stuck somewhere and they were gone when he expected to find them?

What really got me when researching Everest equipment back when I thought there'd be a currency system in the game is that the bottles are in fact hella expensive but they do just end up discarded on the mountain since they're also heavy. Among other dickish things I'd do on Everest if I lost my mind and went there would probably be to arrange empty bottles into neat little caches so that thieves waste time trying to steal them. This is somewhere between "becoming a serial killer" and "dying in a sexually suggestive pose" on the wishlist.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Some French Guy posted:

Every time I try to play it it tells me I have the wrong version :(

You should still be able to play; can you show me a screengrab? Also stupid hacky trick, try disconnecting from the Internet when you start the game then connecting once it's running.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Pick posted:

It's telling me this doesn't exist any more on Mediafire?

Ah drat, I'll rehost on itch tomorrow the way God intended.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:siren:It's here!:siren:

Get the latest build of #Everest, the game inspired by YOU, yes you horrible people, right here!

Changelog
  • Moved app buttons to the phone menu
  • Made gameplay flow more user friendly and intuitive
  • Congratulated winners of the 2016 Everest Death Pool in credits
  • Minor bugfixes and stability improvements
  • Some new inventory art assets by forums user Noyemi K
  • Paper doll box background color is now different based on who is being viewed
  • Added big obvious Continue, Rest, and Stop buttons to map window; disabled old rest icon
  • Replaced item hover tooltips with phone menu descriptions
  • Updated credits text to have new photo credits url

Also, I'll be demoing this game along with some other Team Dogpit stuff at the Let's Play Expo in Plano, TX, next weekend, so if you find yourself in the area, come by and say hello!

Got some massive changes planned (integrated fake social media and more digs at vegans!) but I didn't want to get too involved since the big summer jam is coming up. At any rate, I'm always open to suggestions, so if there's something you wanna see in the game, please let me know! Oh yeah, and bugs, tell me about bugs.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

koreban posted:

Did anyone get a screencap of the Everest game credits? I'm traveling for work and won't be home for 3 weeks to check it out.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Think I'd like to try climbing on some of those Sherpas :wiggle:

...then again given the story of that dude who married a Sherpa and assholishly exploited her I'd avoid the inherent power disparity by settling for a Sherpa-of-the-month calendar.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Great pics, elwood! Glad you're doing something meaningful in your final days.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:eyepop: wow, especially that last one. Looks like the rock there has some interesting colors to it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
That longform article on scurvy was great.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey folks, it is I, the person behind the #Everest game in the OP. I've been looking at remaking the game in Unity for better UI features and such; got a wishlist for updates/new features?

Leperflesh's longass post is already incorporated into my dev build :unsmigghh:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Epitope posted:

I hope you're talking about the titanic one, which rules

It's that one. :smuggo:

Leperflesh lol that you don't remember; I specifically got your permission to use that one.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah the saddest story about Everest I can think of is the kid of someone who died climbing. Apparently the person who died, his mom iirc, asked him if he would be OK with her going and he said yes. And he was like 11.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Well if we're death pooling again, put me down for five; conservative, but I'm sure the mountain will make them count.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Weren't there some guys from NZ who died in Canada (or Canadians who died in NZ) who had an enormously stupid itinerary and got told to not do it multiple times but they did it anyway and died? That story always bears reposting.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Spotted in comments section of Deadspin article on Steck:

lol

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just air drop her a wingsuit???

And some soylent too, let's be realistic here

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the significance of the summit certificate? Does have any function other than prove you climbed Everest?

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't fight for it either way - seems like a dick move to essentially declare Sherpas non-people and ignore their vital role in the tourist industry, if only in a symbolic way.

I have no idea and haven't bothered to google it but I know that in various competitive sports some events are closed to the general public and an athlete who wants to enter has to show their bonafides with proof of completion of other things (the Boston Marathon is like this, for example) so maybe there's something similar in the mountaineering world?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

simplefish posted:

He basically asked the mountain to take him, and as always, it obliged. It counts.

Is someone running a season tally? What is it now, 3?

I think he's the first, didn't Steck die "off site" so to speak?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Syncopated posted:

RIP the Hillary Step. Let it from here on out be known as the Norgay Ramp.

:yeah:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

simplefish posted:

No it's 5 with 1 missing, so 5 excluding the missing one. The missing one would make it six.

I hope they turn up OK

so I win the death pool :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jimmy Hats posted:

ugh undershot my death pool

Me too

*throws up horse racing tickets in disgust*