Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

UberJew posted:

I'd be more impressed by somebody completing the whole Pacific Crest Trail than climbing Everest

did we really make it all the way to june before someone busted this one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Please do not be racist against the Appalachian Americans.

appallachia isnt a race

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if a goon dies on everest, there will forever be the biggest of all stairs in his house

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Pekinduck posted:

Ive seen a lot of florescent lighting in my day and that flag is lit with florescent lighting.

Yeah, the light's also from above, and fairly hard. A summit photo should be pretty evenly soft-lit because of snow reflection from all angles.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I Own Soulz posted:

Why is it called morphing? What happened to 'photoshopped' or just 'shopped'?

i heard adobe was getting more litigious in defense of their copyright, maybe "morphed" is like "adhesive bandage strips" or "facial tissue"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

can yall take the sperglord nuke fanboy slapfest to literally anywhere else

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

No one who plays Pokemon has the monetary assets or physique to get to base camp.

idk that google guy who got killed last year was posting instagram selfies of him drinking espresso over a crevasse, i feel like he was probably terrible enough to have done it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

lol my only reaction to things like this is to chuckle and think 'the hubris of man'

am I broken inside?

it was his last instagram post before he was killed, literally, in writing, mocking the mountain's danger

you cant make this poo poo up lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

High Lord Elbow posted:

I thought the only way to die there was to suffocate beneath a mountain of trash and feces.

It's in the middle of Africa. The whole continent hungers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

In 2015 the race was outright won by an electric car for the first time.

e: get your non hillclimb effortposts the gently caress out of here

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I had a college professor who did Everest base camp once; I think it was in support of someone else's expedition. He said that was as close as he cared to get, and this is a guy who fuckin' loved mountaineering, had been doing it since he was a teen.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it's true. i abandoned my children to the elements. this game is my family now

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I once hiked from my house at about 200 feet, to a 935-foot hill a few miles away, then back. I got a few blisters but it was a nice, relaxing way to spend a day off. Well, that's my mountaineering story.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

There's so many environmental and physiological variables at play in altitude sickness that there's no way to definitively predict it who will get it at what altitude. It's very much a "watch for it and take steps to mitigate and treat it if it comes up" kinda thing. It sounds like they made all the sensible choices in reaction to her symptoms, and it just didn't work out. RIP cool-as-hell-sounding Parks Canada lady :(

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

elwood posted:

Everything is packed. I'm flying to Kathmandu tomorrow. If everything works according to plan, I'm in Lukla on friday, Namche Basar on saturday and Base Camp on november 2nd.

http://youtu.be/gvKs2VLmVnY

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Shangri-Law School posted:

An excerpt from a new book about mountaineering by Gabriel Filippi. It's pretty sobering, though this part's blackly comedic.

Stories like this always break me up a bit because I get that feeling, that never-give-up drive, but the mountain just does not give a poo poo how spunky or determined or willful or confident you are. If it's time to turn around, it's time to turn around right now.

Summit fever kills.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Any requests on corpse position if I succumb to HACE or HAPE?

attempting and failing at autofellatio

(the failure mode is that your pooping on you're face)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Crosspost from AI:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a31324/nissan-gt-r-mount-everest-base-camp/

Someone drove a Nissan GT-R to Everest Base Camp.

I thought part of why such big teams of sherpas were needed is that it was all mountain trails, goat paths and poo poo. there's a dirt road all the way there?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Sony was focused on making a decent console without taking any risks. Nintendo was down to take a few risks but still make it a decent console. Sega was going full Atari.

The hill start assist is designed to help prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an incline or slippery slope. To activate the hill start assist, fully depress the brake pedal until the Slip Indicator blinks and you hear a beep. The brakes will continue to be held and the brake lights left on until the accelerator is touched or two seconds have elapsed since the driver has released the brake pedal. The parking brake must not be applied otherwise hill start assist will not activate.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

elwood posted:

Thanks, but no. You can't take bad pictures up here.

i spent some time in the high rockies and yeah, as long as your horizon was close to level you were p much ansel adams

i imagine it's even more so in the himalayas

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, high altitude does some incredible stuff for the night sky. So does a lack of light pollution. The most benign ordinary night at altitude, even near a town, will be as brilliant as the most rare perfect night at sea level.

Same deal as the photography thing; the rockies were incredible at 10k feet, so I imagine the himalayas are even more so.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

elwood posted:

On the one hand he climbed it already so he knows what he's getting into. On the other hand, he seems to have a deathwish and with a 5 month old child, he is a selfish rear end in a top hat.

i get that he wants to complete the project the avalanche cut short :shrug:

from the sound of it he views it as his career's magnum opus. hopefully he succeeds and retires. if he doesn't... well, it's not like the kid will remember it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me. At my former gym they had a stair master Everest thing, where if you "climbed" Everest on a stir master you got your picture on the wall. :jerkbag:

i'm sorry you weren't fit enough to everest the stairmaster, goon sire

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

It's not even that. I'm imaging the people whose picture was on the wall going on with their lives and talking about the time they "basically climbed Everest." You know that has to happen.

Kind of in line with the click-hole article I was quoting, which is why I was reminded of it and told the story.

so you're mad at your imagination?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

That's pretty deep and complex. Let me just retort by saying we are always angry about things we imagine. And by that, I mean, every time you get angry about something, even if it's somebody just curb stomped your mom, you are getting angry based on your idiosyncratic (or socially conditioned, pick one, either works) interpretation of events. This is an imaginative process.

So yes, I am angry about my imagination(s). So are you. Right now.

right, but in your case you thought up an fictional person & fictional actions for them, then posted about how mad you were about this fiction you'd imagined

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

No, not really. No more than you're fictionalizing me right now. They had a giant picture of themselves on the gym wall that said "I climbed Mt. Everest."

Given that, I don't even think my fictionalization of them violates what most people would consider a fair inference. I guess though you could try to continue trying to delegitimize my reaction by bringing up the problem of induction; however, one wonders what existential threat does my mockery pose to you?

Do you have a giant picture of yourself on the wall of your gym along with the words "I climbed Mt. Everest?" or something? Am I accidentally making fun of you, or are you just one of those people who likes to argue on the internet for the exercise? No shame either way.

wait, it literally said "i climbed mt everest" lmao yeah no im with you that's dumb

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

k2 probably has the most impressive list of kills, but no

all the mountains left with no recorded summits are either illegal to climb or crazy super isolated in the artic/antartic

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Eh, there's loads of stuff left in Tibet and Kyrgyzstan at least. The ones left are either lower, like 5000m, or more isolated though. I know for a fact two swedish amateurs and a slovenian dude did a first ascent in either Tibet or Nepal last year, which was real climbing but nothing really extreme. There's also entire unexplored valleys and stuff in India and Pakistan where the military are really restrictive with permits, but there are a few serious mountaineers who do it every year.

Wow. Shows what I know. It's bonkers to me how huge and sparse the Himalayas are.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

DumbparameciuM posted:

Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY ARANAKTU

someone who cares more than me needs to make a good op and launch the 2017 thread

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

re: yuppie instagram vacations

cuba : 2017 :: vietnam : 2013 :: k2 : 2019

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i dont know if i did the colon/doublecolons right

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

haha well i guess get a mod to change the thread title into this being the 2017 one? lmao

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what if we had a deathpool, but the prize for winning was you got banned

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I've heard people say "Everest was conquered with wool, leather, fur, down, and silk" as a retort to the idea that you need modern fabrics to set foot outside your door for day hikes. Aside from that dumb quagmire of a debate, I was curious just how true that statement was. What did Norgay and Hillary use?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

You also have to account for summit fever as motivation. It's all a wash. I don't think we're ever going to get a better answer than we have now, unless someone finds their camera.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

Re the scott expedition, this was a really good piece I read a while back looking at it from the context of medical science deciding limes weren't the cure for scurvy despite 100 years of results because they didn't make a distinction between limes and lemons. "Egads! These green lemons don't work, there must be another cause at play and they were never the healing factor after all"

P troubling in the age of anti-vax.
http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

those "100 years of results" were mostly down to steam power making voyages short enough that nobody got scurvy despite the uselessness of pre-juiced, stored-in-copper lime juice. so when people discovered that the pre-juiced, stored-in-copper citrus juice that had been "working" for a hundred years did not, in fact, work, it took a while to figure out why. In the meantime, attempts to figure out why hit a lot of dead ends.

e: literal dead ends in the case of Scott :v:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

every oxygen bottle is actually a fart machine

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'll recommend Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills with the caveat that it's entirely technical. As in, it's a textbook on all things mountaineering, from bouldering, tshirts, and day-hiking all the way up to multi-day big wall climbs, crampons, goretex, and 8000m summits. Avalanche risk evaluation, the pros and cons of various materials and types of gear, an exhaustive list of knots and how to tie them, and on and on and on. If you do anything that even grazes the topic it's a useful resource, in addition to just being a fun read if you're the sort of nerd like me who enjoys technical-reading-fueled daydreaming.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I forgot about the anonymous polish alcoholic. That's such a great story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

"some climbing experience" and "in decent shape" is the prerequisite for having all your poo poo hauled by sherpas

that's not even really just a "Everest tourism" thing either. that's just how gear gets hauled overland up there, on foot. and in the case of a summit attempt, you need to haul a shitload of gear to base camp, then proportionally smaller huge loads of poo poo to the higher camps. Unless you're traveling ultralight and moving exceptionally fast (which only, like, the top 1% of climbers can manage, think Olympic marathoner levels of fitness and training), you're having most your poo poo hauled by sherpas. it's just how it works.