Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

It is the most technically difficult 8000 ft mountain. There are of course more technical/difficult climbs, but K2 is indeed the most demanding Big rear end Mountain
the way I've heard it described, Everest doesn't care if you live or die.
K2 actively hates you and wants you dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chappers posted:

From now on I'm just assuming that Messner has climbed every hill in existence...in winter.

without supplemental oxygen. In three hours. Round trip. Possibly also without ropes or crampons or using his hands.

Seriously, Messner and Ueli Steck are not human.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't he supposed to kill him self with a ninja sword after such failures?
No, he cuts off a finger jeez, its like you're not even paying attention.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

elwood posted:

On my way back to Namche, still somewhat alive just damned tired of eating Dal Bat. Bonus pic of Ama dablam at night:

Are those streaks comets or airplanes or shooting stars or what

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eh its fall, bears'll all be fat and lookin' for dens.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

K2 hungers.

Everest has more opportunity, K2 takes advantage of just about every opportunity it gets.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That dude was stubborn as poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i wonder how far you'd get if you somehow basejumped off everest while the jet stream was blasting the summit. would you just get deposited somewhere in the pacific

Not so much a question of how far you'd get but whether you made it in one piece.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds pretty pragmatic but I worry for them. That is a level of cold that I cannot completely comprehend, on top of the other dangers of Everest.

Eh, after about -20 it all feels the same.

Granted that same is loving Cold(tm) but its not like humans don't routinely live in those temperatures in other areas of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

As a not-actually-alive virus, freezing temps could theoretically keep it live for years, and fecal matter is a large potential vector for it

which is to say, lol

Up to two years according to related coronavirus studies!