Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Excited to hear about new and interesting ways to die on my favorite mountain! I'm in for 7 this year; the Mother is pleased with the feasting she had done over the last few years. She needs to tempt more to appear before another blood bath occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Live posting from Everest now! watching the 2015 film and Montell Jordan even gets a feature

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
If any of you are snapchat users - there a Everest story that's running with some nice shots of the acclimatization process and base camp as of 4-25.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
New coworker of mine is from Nepal. She was impressed I knew where Nepal is located and that Mt. Everest is there.
Asked her yesterday about the earthquake affecting her family, as they live in Kathmandu. She said her parents and neighbors slept in the street via tents for four months before their house was repaired.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
No, I'm very highly cognizant of not being Jeff Brown. It was just really funny because of this thread going on at the same time. We also live in redneck central, so geographical awareness isn't that high around here.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Smash it Smash hit posted:

wow look at this show off with his fingers

I wish I had fingers to show off with.

My name is actually Beck Weathers

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I'm great in the water. On land, it's a little rough. Thank good ess for voice texting.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
That is a gorgeous shot of Everest.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
There hasn't been enough poo poo in the EverestNoFilter snaps. Though we did get a toilet shot a couple days ago.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

futurememory posted:

The #EverestNoFilter guys are semi-annoying, but some of their pics have been pretty cool, and Adrian has a ton of experience (has summited Everest 6 times). It's been interesting actually watching it in real time, as someone who has lurked this thread for years now.

The face that they're doing it without supplemental oxygen and the fact that they're cutting corners (didn't get enough rest at base camp, both not getting sleep/feeling lovely is where things seem like they can go very wrong.

The noting how they were trying to go slow to ABC, and then on their summit push, they were still tired and missing adequate sleep seems ominous. I'm impressed their phones are still operating in such temps. Hypoxia in real time, and watching their Strava reports, going to be a weird week.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
As an Appalachian American, and reluctant WV resident; I'd like to state that not all of us are squid billies.

But I do treat a lot of the really old ones.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I speak with a true Ohio accent, as all newscasters do, I'm just stuck in WV for the last 8 years.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in these threads.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Step away for a day, and drat.
I lost the link that was tracking the winter ascent on Everest, any news on that expedition?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The death pool doesn't bother me as I know I know in general we are not wishing for more death and destruction. And it's SA so I take everything with a grain or two of salt. But I've come to look forward to following this thread each year, and watching a bunch of idiots shitpost this thing up is pretty annoying. I can live without the deathpool.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I puked all over the side of Pike's Peak when I was four, but that's my only mountain adventure.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Steck is back? Is he going for the speed record or just trying to do a double summit?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Oh poo poo. Looked up his Facebook page and that mapped out his route. They aren't taking tents, and plan to biouvac on Everest on the cross route.

Only Ueli. Godspeed sir.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Well gently caress. There's really no other way for him to go out but man. That really sucks.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I really was hoping he could get a redeemed trip since the last one went so poorly. That would have been such an incredible climb.

You win, Sagarmāthā.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I can't remember if this has been answered, but I'm curious how the EverestNoFilter guys are able to use their phones in such cold weather. Do they have crazy cold proof satellite phones, great cases, or is it just luck that theirs work in suboptimal weather and my iPhone will die when it's -16F?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The most proper of ueli-gies for the man, the myth.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Looks like Cory from EverestNoFilter is turning around as of within the last hour. Adrian and Sherpas are still going on, they're above the Second Step.

Cory had a pretty serious look at a body attached right on the path - really drives home how people die attached to the line.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Nice to wake up and see they both made summit and everyone is almost back down. Looks like oxygen use was the motive.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Obviously it’s ride the elevator to the top.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Hoping for good weather and success on the mountain this year for the season. Last several years have been rather rough, I’d like to see a happy season for once.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah I just saw that pop up - that’s three years in a row for Adrian. Looks like a pretty big snow storm happened today.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Wtf - falling down a four story set of stairs in your house is actually kind of insane no matter what climber you are. But yeah, making it through ‘96 to get taking out by the Colorado Stairfall is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Talk about sacrificing your clients to the mountain gods.