Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rondette posted:

I watched the Everest film recently (and actually FELL ASLEEP during the storm part) and I thought the real 'heroes' were the pilots who managed to fly a helicopter to an as unyet attempted height, at great risk to their own safety, to rescue an American guy who wanted something to tick off his bucket list.

IDK why mountaineering films rarely work- I suppose the main problem is that none of the people doing it (In the Everest film anyway) are doing it for any cause other than Ego. It's kinda hard to empathise and root for people in that situation. It's a shame it was such a disappointing film, I was really looking forward to it.

I really hope there's eventually one that focuses entirely on that aspect, lots of interviews with families of climbers before they leave, editing to point out the hollowness of the entire affair... Grizzly Man but with dozens of Treadwells every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kinda surprised they announced before getting back down.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

brb gotta go pull my rear end out of itself

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

climb everest, or smoke for four years.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nomad2020 posted:

I'll have you know the Appalachians are some of the nicest hills you'll have the pleasure of walking up.

Tell me more about deflated meth tits

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That escalated beautifully

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Who needs a new thread this one is fine

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

Welp, elwood un-ironically chose the 2017 thread as his hill to die on. :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19933

stay safe op ghost

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Re the scott expedition, this was a really good piece I read a while back looking at it from the context of medical science deciding limes weren't the cure for scurvy despite 100 years of results because they didn't make a distinction between limes and lemons. "Egads! These green lemons don't work, there must be another cause at play and they were never the healing factor after all"

P troubling in the age of anti-vax.
http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 21, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everest Thread 2016/17: All Gifts Are Accepted By Chomolungma

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I feel like I just watched someone win the Daytona 500 and then get run over in the parking lot.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 30, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nsaP posted:

No one else instantly assumed this or lighting it for heat? There are people there who show up without having tested their gear, you shouldn't expect them to know how to use it.

I did but have lost the ability to tell which of three active everest threads I'm posting in.

shame on an IGA posted:

Is this everest's first Carbon Monoxide kill?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Business posted:

what the gently caress there have been two everest threads this whole time?

Shhh don't bring the GBS spotlight on this the good one

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Let's split the difference and just stop having the Isle of Man TT

E: Didn't realize it was happening right now, new thread fodder:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaefell_Mountain_Course_fatalities

At 269 fatalities, this motorcycle race was probably deadlier than everest before those avalanches tipped the scale.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 8, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Limiting the total number of summit permits every year would probably do a better job of preventing deaths than just telling the blind/amputee/solo climbers to gently caress off. That would decrease the amount of money the government is getting though so :shrug:

Cut the permit count 40% and auction the remainder as non-transferrable, would probably increase revenue

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If they wanted to save their strength for K2 couldn't they have, idunno, like stayed there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah really true about the no old climbers thing. If Steck can't make it home, what chance does anyone else have?

(Messner doesn't count because there's a 70% chance he is literally God)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ms Boods posted:

Delaware native here -- it is true, the highest point (which I always thought was up near Mt Cuba Observatory; can't be arsed to look it up) isn't too impressive...maybe you could ascend it the way these guys tackled the Uxbridge Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Poisoning seems unneccessary when the average everest climber is exactly the kind of petit-bourge shitlord that would go along with the scam for a kickback

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Somebody needs to start a pool on how many people will troll this thread this year.

We're the most active thread in Take A Hike instead of GBS now, so -10

No one who hasn't bookmarked it will ever find it again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Everest permits only sold as a two-mountain package deal, not valid until stamped at K2 summit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ante posted:

I crouch on a ledge, eating my trail mix and staring at the tourists walking by. They don't know what I've been through. I had to abandon my baby carriage yesterday, about five miles in. I'm running out of water, and as I look down at my body, covered in bruises and scrapes, I wonder what I'm even doing to myself?

Staggering towards the family hanging out near the rest area and ignoring the look of horror on their faces, I get them to call me an Uber home

I really could go for a handful of GORP right now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

I feel that it is well within the spirit of this thread

to present to you:

FEED THE REACTOR
https://twitter.com/komacore/status/1137692054899908608

gotta call BS on the relation to the show at least one of those is years old to not include the new confinement building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So yeah update from K2 sounds like most everyone gave up and went home except the special forces guy who's hellbent on climbing all 14 8000ers in a year, and a couple lunatics with no O2. They made Camp 4 a few hours ago.

https://explorersweb.com/2019/07/22/purba-launches-new-k2-push-but-how-risky-is-it/