Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bobby Digital posted:

John Krakauer opens his word processor and begins Into the Basement

Can't wait to see who he blames for leaving the guy for dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you the first double amputee with a sign for a prosthetic to reach the top of that mountain?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you know you can turn cameras around?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The atmosphere is a lot thinner, so it would have to be really huge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HMS Beagle posted:

It doesn’t count if you have to use supplementary oxygen.

To be fair, you need supplemental oxygen at sea level.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe YOU need supplemental oxygen at sea level, but I'm in super good shape. I go to the rock climbing gym twice a week.

A pressurized rock climbing gym?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was at the grand canyon at 8000 feet and there were some old people having trouble.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was a person? I'm not an expert, but that tumbling didn't look like a human body.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does he have solar power? Also, he could probably collect sea water and set up a solar still.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You'd probably get idiots wanting to do it with no experience, but you probably wouldn't get as many people willing to drag someone to the top for money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd rather know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"When I tell my employees at my mandatory pep talk about how I braved the elements and triumphed against all the odds, I'll leave out the really long line I waited in to get to the top"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You might not have realized that this thread is actually in Take a Hike, not GBS. The last time someone tried to remake the thread and put it in GBS, it was shitposted into oblivion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seven summits are just the tallest mountains on each Continent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Hillary Queue

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AWarmBody posted:

Exactly how hard is the trek to base camp? Are there any risks? Because that sounds pretty loving awesome to do, honestly.

https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/mount-everest-base-camp-trek.html

This trip is rated Strenuous [5]. Participants should be strong, experienced hikers in good physical condition, comfortable hiking 5-6 hours daily over uneven, rocky and frequently steep terrain. Trip members should have prior experience camping and sleeping in a tent for multiple nights. No technical climbing or other special abilities are required.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sticks you find on the trail but then break in half to save weight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After hearing about how lovely Krakauer was about Boukreev, I'm glad the movie made Krakauer out to be a bitch saying he was snow blind when Boukreev asks for his help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's why it's so easy to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Our body only responds to a build up of CO2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it is accurate or not, but the movie shows the ropes that were supposed to be set leading up to the Hillary step weren't because the Sherpa who was supposed to set them was busy dragging Sandy up the mountain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing the crampons curve to match a boot. When you look at the picture he shows, you can see the crampon on the left boot curves to the left as if it should go on a right boot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He disappeared into the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Considering that covid-19 can cause permanent lung damage, sounds like a great plan for summitting a mountain where there isn't enough air to survive.