Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The fact that the security guard/police officer/whatever was an rear end in a top hat doesn't make Lochte not an rear end in a top hat and a liar, and it doesn't mean that Lochte didn't commit a crime; that's what people defending Lochte don't seem to understand. Everyone involved in that whole situation appears to be in the wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say

Lochte is dumb and an rear end in a top hat, but that was a hosed up situtation

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dias posted:

Look, I'm done discussing this because it's going nowhere, you're set on it being a holdup, I think that's a major over-exaggeration, already said my peace on what I think about the guard's reaction, nothing is gonna change, so if you don't mind I'd rather not engage you again on that topic.

You think it's an exaggeration because getting robbed at gunpoint is a part of daily life where you live.

PT6A posted:

The fact that the security guard/police officer/whatever was an rear end in a top hat doesn't make Lochte not an rear end in a top hat and a liar, and it doesn't mean that Lochte didn't commit a crime; that's what people defending Lochte don't seem to understand. Everyone involved in that whole situation appears to be in the wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

How dare lochte get a gun pulled on him, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elias_Maluco posted:

He did, and that's a crime in itself.

But thinking about it, we have to admit that people all over, and maybe specially here in Brazil, jumped to demonize him too quickly without stopping to think that it is really strange and hosed up that this security guard, who is probably an offduty PM (military police), would pull a gun on these guys for so little

It's not strange though, in the US or Brazil.

If anything, Lochte got off as light as possible in this situation, because private security in Brazil (who are often off-duty police, as others have mentioned) can and often will completely twist you badly up for infractions way below anything Lochte did in that store. Calling the policia civil usually doesn't even factor into the process. The guard probably didn't recognize Lochte, but knew better than to rough up three gringos. No one wants that kind of trouble with the US embassy. They vandalized a store and the guard utilized the only option he had, a threat of force, to try and subdue them until the actual authorities showed up, and even that didn't work because in the end they ran figuring that they would get away with it and they were (mostly) correct.

He's being rightly demonized because he's an rear end in a top hat who committed a crime, then tried to spin the story using nationalist stereotypes, and he will get away with it because of the (avert your eyes) privilege that he has as a prominent white US Olympian. Even his suspension isn't an actual punishment, the guy's career is basically over anyway and he'll still pick up a cushy coaching gig somewhere in a year or two.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Everyone loves to hate Americans and Brazilians jumped at the opportunity to be the rock after being the window for the last few months

1. Americans have earned our bad reputation abroad many, many times over.
2. American cops, private security, and random vigilantes summarily execute people every day in this country for 1/10th of what Lochte and his cohort did.

Stop pretending like we have some moral high ground here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey look, it turns out there's a significant disagreement as to whether guns were ever pointed at the swimmers:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-swimmer-robbery-1.3729422

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

1. Americans have earned our bad reputation abroad many, many times over.
2. American cops, private security, and random vigilantes summarily execute people every day in this country for 1/10th of what Lochte and his cohort did.

Stop pretending like we have some moral high ground here.

Im Brazilian.

And yes, he commited a stupid crime and is a dumb rear end in a top hat. But, the more we know about it, the "vandalism" thing is looking weaker

As a Brazilian, it dont seems normal to me that the security would held then there, pull a gun or even call the police just because some drunken guys peed on some bushes and took a sign from the wall. If that was all they did, the security reaction was way over the top. I did worst several times in my life (when I was younger) and nobody ever pulled a gun on me. At most Ive been throw out of bars

For everything Ive seem in movies and TV, I think a private security guy or store owner pulling a gun is probably more common in the USA than here, and you did earned your bad rep.

But we earned ours too. We are a very violent society, our police is absurdly corrupt, and specially in Rio, the locals do have a know habit of trying to take whatever advantage they can from "gringos", so there's that. Heck, a few days before the olympics we had that NZ guy flee the country because he was being threatened by cops who had extorted him

edit: I just decided to wait a bit more for judgements, cause there are many aspects in this story which arent clear yet, and things are looking bad from our side too

edit 2: ^^^^ ok, if they are lying about the gun than they are really 100% in the wrong. drat gringos. but, lots of conflicting versions, we cant know yet. all we do know is that Lochte is a liar and a a very dumb person, regardless

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 20, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tsa posted:

You think it's an exaggeration because getting robbed at gunpoint is a part of daily life where you live.

How dare lochte get a gun pulled on him, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

This is getting stupid. Among the things lochte lied about, he claimed that his wallet and $400 were stolen from him. He said it in the interview and he said it to the police. No matter how much you want to trust this latest account as the true one (and a reminder that this version is the fifth or sixth version, was written with a PR department, and was done after the video was public, so that it could be adjusted to fit it), lochte did not have his wallet or 400 bucks taken. So go ahead and believe that sheltered Americans "felt" they were being robbed. Go ahead and believe that lochte honestly misremembered things due to trauma. He still lied to the press and the police about what was taken. Or are you going to come up with a scenario about how lochte could have thought he had his wallet and 400 taken despite still having them with him?

Brazilian ESPN got access to Feigen's original deposition. He claimed he was sleeping on the back seat when the cab was pulled over, and even worked with a sketch artist to describe the robber, who he described as athletic and wearing a black jacket. In the second deposition he claimed that lochte decided to make the whole thing up for attention. So whatever you believe about the security guard, they clearly lied about things.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 20, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So, all in all, better than expected, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeap.

Personally I wanst a bit worried about zika (its winter), crime I knew it wanst going to be anything out of the ordinary for Rio, and for the pollution, it was everything so dirty how everybody already knew it was before the games (bad, but not enough to kill anybody. Heck, I swimmed on those same waters kinda recently and I am alive and well)

The one thing I was most worried about was a terrorist strike. I though ISIS or somesuch could take advantage of the fact we arent prepared to this kind of stuff, because it doenst happens around here. So if they did attacked, it would be a huge disaster

But they have no reason to strike Brazil and the fact no big foreign head of state came made it a unworthy target

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 22, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Pretty much. Biggest fuckup was Lochte :haw: Honorable mention to the green fart pool.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also its quite a big story in Ireland, but the head of the European Olympic Committees (the European branch of the IOC) was arrested as part of a Brazilian investigation into price gouging after the director of THG, the former official ticket vendor for the London and Sochi games who where overlooked for Rio, was arrested with a suitcase full of tickets supposedly being touted at twice their face value.

Its a bit of scandal in Ireland, the official in question is head of the Irish Olympic committee and several other Irish Olympic officials have had their passports confiscated after their offices where raided.

Some red faces in the IOC I would say

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
How do you sell tickets at double face value to events that are 2/3rds empty?

Edit: I guess that's why his briefcase was still full of them

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also its quite a big story in Ireland, but the head of the European Olympic Committees (the European branch of the IOC) was arrested as part of a Brazilian investigation into price gouging after the director of THG, the former official ticket vendor for the London and Sochi games who where overlooked for Rio, was arrested with a suitcase full of tickets supposedly being touted at twice their face value.

Its a bit of scandal in Ireland, the official in question is head of the Irish Olympic committee and several other Irish Olympic officials have had their passports confiscated after their offices where raided.

Some red faces in the IOC I would say

That's more about the Olympics being a hosed up institution in general, not anything Brazil-specific. If anything, Brazil did a good thing by arresting the old bastard.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
They definitely did a good thing jailing him. Ireland had no interest in prosecuting prior to Brazil's actions.

It should be noted the man they arrested was Russia's biggest defender from being banned from the Olympics. Seen here with Putin just over a year ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Between this and helping to part a giant raving douchebag from his sponsorships, I think Brazil has had a net positive effect on the world with this Olympics.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Marenghi posted:

They definitely did a good thing jailing him. Ireland had no interest in prosecuting prior to Brazil's actions.

It should be noted the man they arrested was Russia's biggest defender from being banned from the Olympics. Seen here with Putin just over a year ago.

What kind of lovely fistbump is that?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I have to admit, the games came together pretty well. Biggest deal was probably the robberies but I have to wonder if they were really all that much more common than they'd have been at any other games, with the lone exception being the one where it was committed by either cops or people dressed as cops. Other than that I guess I'd single out the housing issues but those were easy to fix (hey, maybe they should just rent hotels every time instead of building a bunch of housing thats only going to see one month of use in its original purpose.) Yeah, a successful games from the Olympics standpoint but I don't know if they really did Rio de Janeiro or the country of Brazil any good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If the athletes' village were turned into subsidized rental housing owned by the government of the host city, I think that could be fairly beneficial, no?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It could be, but I don't want the government to be in the housing business and, more over, from an urban planning perspective placing a load of subsidized houses of the exact same vintage together like that has been a recipe for disaster as it all decays at the same rate. There've been a number of studies saying that the best way to build a community, government sponsored or not, is to have buildings of mixed ages and sizes together.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

It could be, but I don't want the government to be in the housing business and, more over, from an urban planning perspective placing a load of subsidized houses of the exact same vintage together like that has been a recipe for disaster as it all decays at the same rate. There've been a number of studies saying that the best way to build a community, government sponsored or not, is to have buildings of mixed ages and sizes together.

Why? The government should be in the housing business, just as it should be in the healthcare business, and generally in the business of providing necessities to those who cannot afford them. I'm not saying everything has to be controlled by the government, but I think it can be a net benefit when they are in those businesses.

And of course it shouldn't be the only subsidized housing provided by the city, just a part thereof.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wife works at a doctor's office. They got their first case of Zika last week. We live in a fairly small town in Eastern Alabama.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey, there was a nice article in the NYTimes today about Zika.

"Zika, a Formidable Enemy, Attacks and Destroys Parts of Babies’ Brains posted:

The images tell a heartbreaking story: Zika’s calamitous attack on the brains of babies — as seen from the inside.

With a macabre catalog of brain scans and ultrasound pictures, a new study details the devastation done to 45 Brazilian babies whose mothers were infected with Zika during pregnancy. The study, published Tuesday in the journal Radiology, is the most comprehensive collection of such images so far, and it reveals a virus that can launch assaults beyond microcephaly, the condition of unusually small heads that has become the sinister signature of Zika.

Most of the babies in the study were born with microcephaly, but many of them also suffered other impairments, including damage to important parts of the brain: the corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres of the brain; the cerebellum, which plays a significant role in movement, balance and speech; the basal ganglia, which are involved in thinking and emotion.

“It’s not just the small brain, it’s that there’s a lot more damage,” said Dr. Deborah Levine, an author of the study and a professor of radiology at Harvard Medical School in Boston. “The abnormalities that we see in the brain suggest a very early disruption of the brain development process.”

The findings also raised worrisome concerns about whether babies born without such obvious impairments could develop brain damage as they grow.

etc etc etc.

So even if your baby doesn't have obvious microcephaly its brain is probably irreparably damaged in all kinds of fun ways you won't find out about until later.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So the police lied about the bathroom being vandalized and they commited no crime peeing on the side of the building and tearing down a sign. But they got shaken down for 50 bucks by security anyway.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

gohmak posted:

So the police lied about the bathroom being vandalized and they commited no crime peeing on the side of the building and tearing down a sign. But they got shaken down for 50 bucks by security anyway.

Jimmy Feigen had to pay 10,000 USD to get his passport back.

karthun fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 24, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

gohmak posted:

That is the new spin the US media is trying to put on it, but it is only partly true. There is indeed no evidence of bathroom damage.

But the swimmers did destroy a promotional billboard.

Also, there are two different versions out there. The guy who translated for the swimmers claims that it was the swimmers who offered to pay to avoid having the police called (this is backed up by the police logs showing a call made by the gast station at the time). The swimmers claim it was the security guards who demanded payment. Impossible to know who is telling the truth, though it is important to note that the translator hasn't changed his story, while the swimmers have.

Finally, the thing these new reports by USA today and Yahoo that have come out do not talk about is what the swimmers told the police. Lochte's initial account to the police was pretty much the same version he told NBC initially, including claiming that they took his wallet and $400. Feigen's was that he was asleep in the back of the cab when they were pulled over. He then proceeded to give a false description of a robber (who he claimed was tall, muscular, brown skinned and had a military hairstyle).

So yeah, it seems the police might have exaggerated the amount of damage done by the swimmers. And, unsurprisingly, the version the swimmers told after the videos came out match the parts of it that can be seen on video. After that, it is a he said/they said between the witnesses with regards to who brought up money first.

But the one thing that is not disputed in any way is that Lochte and Feigen lied to the police, both about what was taken and who took it. Since the videos don't show the actual negotiation, it is impossible to know who brought up money, and unsurprisingly Americans distrust the witness who claims that the swimmers brought it up, while Brazilians distrust the swimmers.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So they were held at gun point for a non crime and paid their way out of it by their own volition. Yeah still extortion.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And if Lochte has listened to what the State Department told him maybe this could all have been figured out without causing an international incident. poo poo happens but Lochte instigated and escalated the whole thing. Whether the security guard was right or wrong isn't relevant anymore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What did the State Department tell him?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Subjunctive posted:

What did the State Department tell him?

To shut the gently caress up on twitter while it's being sorted out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That was good advice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Olympics are over but the athletes are still suffering :v:

quote:

Kenyan athletes are stranded in a Rio shanty town where gunshots can be heard, following the closure of the Olympic village, the team captain says.

Officials delayed their return home as they looked for a "cheap flight", said Wesley Korir, a marathon runner who is also an independent MP.

He posted images on Twitter of dilapidated buildings in the area where he said they were forced to stay.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37183703

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

Time for Obama to step in.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
They're "looking for a cheap flight"? How do they expect to book last minute flights home for the entire Kenyan delegation without paying a fortune?

Surely thats the sort of thing that should be booked months in advance.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Too bad Brazil couldn't figure out the whole "being a developing country" thing for the convenience of the athletes.

Not trying to make light of the situation. But I don't see how "a country's olympic committee can't afford to go home and they can only afford lodging in the bad part of town" is anyone's fault but that country's olympic committee.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blut posted:

They're "looking for a cheap flight"? How do they expect to book last minute flights home for the entire Kenyan delegation without paying a fortune?

Surely thats the sort of thing that should be booked months in advance.

It's standard procedure at a sporting event for every participating team to start booking transportation and housing as soon as their entry is confirmed, especially for international events.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kenya's flight funds going somewhat awry? Why I never.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mozi posted:

And if Lochte has listened to what the State Department told him maybe this could all have been figured out without causing an international incident. poo poo happens but Lochte instigated and escalated the whole thing. Whether the security guard was right or wrong isn't relevant anymore.

Brazil is extremely lucky that guard didn't fire.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grapplejack posted:

Brazil is extremely lucky that guard didn't fire.

The guard was probably aware that even if the drunken gentleman was some nobody schlub it would still be catastrophic for Brazil's image in general and his continued gainful employment in particular.

Although I guess he could have taken his go-getter attitude to employers that need trigger-happy hired guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
remember zika

Huddled around their hives, beekeepers around the south-eastern US fear a new threat to their livelihood: a fine mist beaded with neurotoxin, sprayed from the sky by officials at war with mosquitos that carry the Zika virus.

Earlier this week, South Carolina beekeepers found millions of dead honey bees carpeting their apiaries, killed by an insecticide. Video posted by a beekeeper to Facebook showed thousands of dead insects heaped around hives, while a few survivors struggled to move the bodies of fellow bees.

The program head, Dr Mike Weyman, said that though South Carolina has strict rules about protecting pollinators, county officials were using the neurotoxin, Naled, under a clause exempting them in a “clear and public health crisis”.

More than three dozen people have tested positive for Zika in South Carolina, Weyman said, and officials have made it a priority to prevent local transmissions through the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

“We don’t want one of those mosquitos having a blood meal on an individual we’ve already determined was positive,” Weyman said. “We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that [Zika] is up and running in Florida. If it gets in the mosquito population ... you’re playing catch-up.”

• Locked thread