Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Super looking forward to my honeymoon in Costa Rica this March with my fiance who's trying to conceive. At least the map CNN had up earlier today showed every country except Nicaragua and Costa Rica as red, so I'm sure the mosquitoes just stop at the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^ yeah I think Zika is particularly scary just for the prospect of oh yeah your kid is going to be born defective and require special attention the rest of your life. That's just a special kind of frightening.

QuoProQuid posted:

The Pope released a statement earlier today endorsing the use of contraception in fighting the outbreak of Zika.

Hopefully, this will help reduce the outbreak's spread in Catholic countries.

I guess that's pretty progressive. I'd have expected the Catholic position to simply be not to have sex if it's dangerous.

Either way, my fiance's doctor recommended she not get pregnant before our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I guess knowing now it stays in your system for 10 weeks just gives me an extra two and a half months of being a manchild.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Got back from my Costa Rica honeymoon and don't think I got bit by anything, so hopefully I'm zika-free. Just saw this article on CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/03/news/world/olympics-rio-ticket-sales/index.html

Zika virus or no Brazil has got some major problems if they're gonna sell many more tickets in the next few months. What exactly would the financial impact be of only selling half the tickets? Do they pretty much lose money hosting the games whether people attend or not, or is there enough money tied up in other aspects that people actually showing up may not be a disaster, just look really bad on tv? I'm wondering if this far out, knowing attendance will be low, if they can scale any infrastructure construction back enough to compensate and not lose quite as much money as otherwise?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

clockworkjoe posted:

Weird. I know someone who lives in Rio and I was considering visiting for the Olympics but when I looked up tickets here https://www.cosport.com/olympics/tickets.aspx most were sold out and the cheapest tickets were like $80 for a single 4 hour game. I could barely afford to get there and all the events I wanted to check out were too expensive or unavailable.

Yeah I have no clue how Olympic tickets are sold. Like they must allocate a certain amount for sale within the host country right? And you would think they'd have the ability to charge different amounts to citizens vs foreigners so some of the less well-off locals could attend home team games? Outside of that, and given how corrupt the entire process is, are they just at liberty to price-gouge specific sales based on the location of the buyer? Could there be some side-market where people in Ethiopia buy tickets for Americans for a fee or given the security do these events require ID/passports that match the tickets to get in the venue?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Fanatic posted:

From memory there was a controversy at a previous Olympics/Commonwealth Games where quite often the stands were empty because the tickets were often allocated to corporations who never showed up and the ticket prices were too expensive for the poorer local population, despite the demand. I don't know if that's been remedied for this games or not.

Well at this rate to save face with the worldwide tv audiences they'll just have to fill all the empty seats with small-headed babies.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lucy_Cominato posted:

This will be a really safe (sex) Olympics

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/health/olympics-zika-proof-condom/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

Athletes to receive Zika-proof condoms. But of course it hasn't received any kind of certification proving that, and a CDC adviser says condoms should already prevent Zika.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

AriadneThread posted:

build olympic island in the middle of international waters

no
better
olympic station in earth orbit

Pretty sure Lonely Island did a music video that was exactly that on SNL once.

Edit: https://youtu.be/4TICjEsvC8o

davebo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 10, 2016

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

dex_sda posted:

Thankfully, olympic villages gathering thousands of young and fertile athletes with beautifully sculpted bodies at peak physical condition who often have little time for dating due to training are at no risk of STDs!

Please, these peak specimens of human athleticism and fertility don't want to copulate with the filthy local population and their mosquito bites. This Olympics will be like every other where all the athletes just get regular std's from all the other foreign competitors.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

and it still a city that depends a lot on tourism

I wonder if it still will be when this is over. I'm curious how host cities from previous Olympics fared in the tourism department months/years/decades after the games. Anyone know offhand of interesting successes/failures?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

joepinetree posted:

The robbers taking his cash while leaving his (and everyone's) huge rear end watch, wallet, and, more importantly, cell phones - completely, absolutely, 100% unbelievable. Cell phones are by far the number 1 thing robbers go after in Brazil. I've had relatives robbed where the robber didn't even ask for money, just the cell phone. Being robbed is so common in Brazil that most people don't walk around with much cash on them. I have never, ever heard of a robbery in Brazil where the robbers went for cash and not cell phone or watch. Kidnapping someone and forcing them to go to an ATM? Sure. But leaving behind obviously expensive watches and cell phones while taking only cash? Every single Brazilian I know started claiming BS the second they heard that.

Are the cell phones so popular to steal for the physical phone they can wipe and resell, or is it more for the identity theft possibilities? I imagine if you were the type of person to save your passwords in the phone you could pull a "woopsie" and just drop the phone real hard when going to hand it over to the thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
How do you sell tickets at double face value to events that are 2/3rds empty?

Edit: I guess that's why his briefcase was still full of them

• Locked thread