Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

-Troika- posted:

How the hell did a place that is literally a poo poo hole get picked for the Olympics anyways?

Contrary to the other responses, I think that Rio really did win legitimately. Well, as legitimately as you can get in Olympic bidding these days anyway. It was awarded back when Brazil seemed to be doing really well and China's was a big success. The fact that there hadn't previously been any games in South America was a big factor as well. The Olympics also likes to rotate in and out of Europe so London 2012 in essence knocked out most of the best choices. Why it hasn't been relocated? Obstinance. Doing so would be a big insult to Brazil, make the IOC look bad, etc. It would take real courage and leadership to do and the Olympics doesn't have much of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It could be that the unsold tickets are to events that people care less about. I don't think the summer Olympics have actually sold out in a long while.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Morrow posted:

London is one of the few modern Olympics that occurred in a first world country with responsible governance and an affluent population.

Using 2000 as a cut off, Sydney, Salt Lake and Vancouver were all in "acceptable" locations. Sochi, Beijing and Athens were not. Turin is debatable if you want to talk about Italy as a whole but from what I've heard its one of the "good" areas. Half and half seems acceptable to me, to be honest.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

To be clear, I'm not blaming all that on the PT

Why not, previous governments didn't have massive (ly inflated) amounts of oil wealth to throw around and the country wasn't collapsing under them? Well, not recently anyway.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

rscott posted:

Oil prices were high for the vast majority of the 2000s, Dilma only was elected in 2011 and basically everyone in the legislature, both opposition and former supporters of PT is under investigation for corruption what are you talking about

We aren't talking Rouseff, we are talking PT. And we aren't even talking normal corruption, though that is obviously bad. The current crises have been exacerbated infinitely by all the Petrobras lies that took place during the Lula years.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can't wait to see all the amazing ways that the Qatar 2022 World Cup will top this disaster.

It will be very hot. Burn fuckers, burn!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Byolante posted:

Most athletes need to compete at the olympics to afford food. Being rich enough to not show up isn't a thing the majority can do.

Those also tend to be the ones fewer people care about though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AriadneThread posted:

when does it stop being worth it?

When a World War breaks out. Or, based on the WC '84 experience, the host country admitting that it is a bankrupt poo poo-hole in the middle of a civil war and voluntarily giving up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But do we have swimming stadiums and handball arenas?

Well, do we? :colbert:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

isn't the daily mail in the business of sensationalism and distortion?

You are correct, it is, in fact, a British newspaper.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the London comments were more to the idea that the ceremonies were going to be boring artsy bullshit (remember, they had a tough act to follow with the Beijing Olympics) and everything else would be a wash. I actually had assumed that that was really what happened and Romney was right.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh, I meant for the rest of the world, I didn't care how London itself felt. Maybe its just that I've grown up and unless there's an interesting geopolitical aspect like Beijing or Athens then it seems boring?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Comrade Fakename posted:

In what way was the London Olympics a disaster for the rest of the world? Sport was promised, sport was delivered. What else do you need?
I needed a good show.

Good ceremonies, good stadium architecture (the main stadium was small and thus wimpy and there weren't many others built either, though I remember being impressed by the natatorium,) and hopefully some sort of athletic x-factor (which is really outside of the host's hands unless you are China and purposely fund teams in obscure sports for the purpose of winning the most medals.) An interesting landscape probably would have helped too, I despise the glass box/abstract object nature of the City of London's skyline. London's Olympic marketing was also bland and unappealing in my eyes. Like those overly corporate mascots China had? At least people still remember them, I can't even recall what London's thing was? I wanted to say that it was the potato people but that was Athens.

FWIW I thought Athens sucked too. Perhaps we just shouldn't give Europe any Olympics for awhile. London, Athens, Turin? Not much of a track record, I was tuned out during Sochi and don't know how that went other than the half built toilet pictures and apparent doping operation that went on in it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, you know what, I think I was perfectly happy having forgotten about those things. Thankfully I'll probably return to that state five minutes from now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ihop posted:

I asked this in the GBS thread and never really got an answer. Is this the normal amount of fuckery for the torch run or is this also new and unique to this Olympics?

Its been increasing recently with the big start being Beijing. Lots of people tried to interrupt that one's runs for political reasons and then there were Chinese minders in foreign countries pushing people over and generally being overprotective. It was a big farce a lot of the time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You can talk about self-control or whatever but the Olympics is a fuckathon and has been for decades now.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised if Athens and Turin failed (and Berlin for "certain non-Olympic-related reasons") but really, pretty much every other city has been successful in raising its profile as a neat place to visit. Even Sochi should have had some success, if only because no-one from outside of the former Soviet Union was going there beforehand.

A big thing to remember is that these games were awarded back in, what, 2009, when Brazil still looked like it had a bright economic future in the near term. The idea of having the Olympics in Rio was not laughable when the decision was made.

On the other hand I also feel like these recent games are being set up for failure with the IOC prioritizing flashy bullshit projects over cheaper, more mundane and more useful types of building. If it really was building a bunch of apartments and a swimming pool then Rio should have had no problems succeeding. But then you throw all this other poo poo on top of it and its a recipe for disaster. They like to talk about "the Olympic movement" or "the Olympic spirit" but the truth of the matter is that if you look at the first few modern games they were nothing like this poo poo. There's probably no group more un-Olympian on earth than the IOC with its egotism and tacky building projects.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, I guess the Russians ARE making a positive impact at the games this time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I feel like Kelly isn't really trying anymore.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do we have an extradition treaty? Can we send him back?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hold on now, provided the testers or minders aren't actively helping athletes cheat it can't be worse than Sochi.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I have to admit, the games came together pretty well. Biggest deal was probably the robberies but I have to wonder if they were really all that much more common than they'd have been at any other games, with the lone exception being the one where it was committed by either cops or people dressed as cops. Other than that I guess I'd single out the housing issues but those were easy to fix (hey, maybe they should just rent hotels every time instead of building a bunch of housing thats only going to see one month of use in its original purpose.) Yeah, a successful games from the Olympics standpoint but I don't know if they really did Rio de Janeiro or the country of Brazil any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It could be, but I don't want the government to be in the housing business and, more over, from an urban planning perspective placing a load of subsidized houses of the exact same vintage together like that has been a recipe for disaster as it all decays at the same rate. There've been a number of studies saying that the best way to build a community, government sponsored or not, is to have buildings of mixed ages and sizes together.

• Locked thread