Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
Frankly, there are bigger ongoing health and public safety concerns right now. I'd be more worried about the drug situation, mass muggings on the beaches and in the city (arrastões) and general crime levels, the fact that most public hospitals are bankrupt / closed / running with absolutely inadequate supplies and personnel and dreadful infrastructure. Hell, I'd rather catch Zika than row in a water that is basically slightly diluted raw sewage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
I wouldn't say things are running exactly smooth here, but either the authorities are handling the current carnaval well (which is a good way to stress test security and health services) or are putting a hell of a kibosh on huge problems. From the look of it, there's no major problems, apart from the usual rapes and drunken beatings to death.

Besides, even thought I'd rather see the billions already spent on education, job creation and health instead of a giant corrupt, corporate jingoistic orgy, the deed's basically done so.. I guess it'll be just like the World Cup: a huge cash influx for the ultra rich and hotel chains, good ol' crippling debt burden for the rest, no big deal? And there probably won't be much opposition to it since it's pretty local compared to the Cup and the gubmint did its homework since the the 2013 protests.

• Locked thread