Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

drilldo squirt posted:

All this insanity reminds me of when Brazil was supposed to be an ascendant world power and it makes me laugh.

It reminds me, early in the XX century an austrian thinker living in RJ wrote a book called "Brazil: The country of the future" , and this phrase was kinda of adopted like a national slogan

To this day some people here still expects it to become true, but for most is just an old inside joke

EDIT: a group of transexuals tried to mug an australian reporter in Rio http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/07/26/channel-nine-reporter-christine-ahern-mugged-in-rio/

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

It's kinda how I see the entire thing, really. Preparing for the events revealed all of our infrastructural issues, and we're gonna have to foot the bill, but if you're expecting a complete shitfest DURING the Games, I don't think you're getting much, unfortunately. Maybe someone will trip during the opening ceremony, or a journalist will get mugged. Hell, I think most Brazilians are also hungry for a blowup, so I'm not even doing this out of "national pride". I just think some poo poo's overblown for its impact on the event itself, even when they're legitimate issues. Might be sounding like Michael Jackson here, but what can I say.

I dont know, perhaps it seems overblow to us because we are just so used to it. Its been slowly getting worst and worst for decades (the pollution, the corruption, the violence, everything) but its hard for us to see, its the normality for us.

Now we are seeing our "cidade maravilhosa" through the eyes of the world and it really looks awful, a huge dirty dangerous ugly mess. Hosting the olympic games was a terrible idea, but I think this shock of reality might do us some good

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

Alright, lemme take a couple of steps back to see if I can explain my points better.

I think SOME of the narratives are overblown by the media while their impact on the Games is minimal. Zika being the main one, of course. It's a trace-level thing right now and I don't think any Brazilian would rate it in the top 10 issues we're facing right now (don't you guys find it even a bit fascinating that the wild disease line got so much traction in international media, by the way?). Guanabara might be another one if the news about water conditions where the event is happening are legitimate. Now, everything about the preparations for the Games was a fuckin' mess, that's undeniable, and it should be under the scrutiny of international eyes. Hell, it might even do us a favor and reveal to the world how the reason why everything's always delayed and incomplete is because construction firms here get to be the most corrupt entities ever, outside dystopic fiction ones and even then it's arguable. However, I do believe poo poo's gonna run well enough when push comes to shove, so expecting some amazing blowup is a bit too hopeful. We did land on the bare minimum requisites for stuff to work, after all. It's not gonna be fantastic and all the "makeup" Rio got is gonna flake as soon as the last gringo steps out of the city, but I doubt we'll see major problems. I mean, I don't think the fuckin' Maracanã stadium is gonna collapse during the opening ceremony, that's for sure.

Nah, we always knew Rio was a trashfire, don't fool yourself on that one. Hell, it might even have improved this last decade in some aspects. You're right that hosting the Games was a terrible idea, though, not because of international scrutiny, but because we all know the song and dance: promise perfect, impossible infrastructure; overprice EVERYTHING during construction, delay it as much as possible; deliver the bare minimum, stuff "pra inglês ver"; let all of the cardboard fall away after they leave and let us foot the bill. We shouldn't have, although I'm pretty sure we will be able to run it, in terms.

gently caress, there's some bus stop/roadwork here that is STILL being done when it was supposed to be ready for the World Cup. It was "good enough" two years ago, then they decided to reinforce the roads and well...

I dont know, I know many people from Rio that still think its one of the most beautiful and amazing cities in the world. And yeah, we all know its bad, but it is still interesting to see how bad does it looks from the outside

And when I say it was a bad idea, it because of those reasons you listed but also because all this worldwide attention burned whatever good rep the city could still have aboard, and it still a city that depends a lot on tourism

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 4, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

joepinetree posted:

You didn't get the part that I thought was far fetched.

being robbed in Rio by fake (or real) police agents- totally beliavable

Lochte not reporting it to the police or USOC or IOC for fear of getting into trouble while posting about it in social media - he is such a moron that its believable

Lochte not remembering where it happened, when it happened, the color of the cab because he was too drunk - believable

Lochte standing up to the robber and even having a back and forth with the rare one fluent in English, and then horsing around minutes after having a gun pointed to his head - less believable, but can be just a matter of embellishing

The robbers taking his cash while leaving his (and everyone's) huge rear end watch, wallet, and, more importantly, cell phones - completely, absolutely, 100% unbelievable. Cell phones are by far the number 1 thing robbers go after in Brazil. I've had relatives robbed where the robber didn't even ask for money, just the cell phone. Being robbed is so common in Brazil that most people don't walk around with much cash on them. I have never, ever heard of a robbery in Brazil where the robbers went for cash and not cell phone or watch. Kidnapping someone and forcing them to go to an ATM? Sure. But leaving behind obviously expensive watches and cell phones while taking only cash? Every single Brazilian I know started claiming BS the second they heard that.

The Daly Mail got a video footage showing then arriving at the hotel, going through the metal detector and putting everything (including the things they claimed that was stolen) in the tray. They lied

I still cant understand why

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/766312634459258880

So, basically (as far as I understand):

- Lochte & co. stopped at a gas station to use the bathroom

- somehow they managed to destroy the bathroom door

- gas station attendants demanded they to pay for the damage, but they refused

- they would have left, but an off-duty cop who happened to be there prevented they from leaving and forced then to pay

EDIT: actually is even worst: http://deadspin.com/report-ryan-lochte-and-his-rowdy-swimming-pals-defiant-1785452472

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 18, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The fact that his own team mates confessed the lie and there's video footage of then vandalizing the gas station?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mirthless posted:

His teammates are being forcibly held in the country. By a police force that has been known to rob foreigners and hold them hostage.

Unless I've found the wrong video the only video I could find has them only in one corner of the video and they are not particularly visible or identifiable

:shrug: I don't know why incompetence/corruption is so believable in every other case. I get it, Lochte is a douche and may be (is probably?) lying but it's not like there weren't hundreds of muggings throughout the course of the olympics. Feels to me like the brazillian government is trying to save themselves some embarassment by trying to make the conversation about some douchey athletes instead of how badly they hosed up security (like everything else)

Nobody is holding then hostage and nobody forced then to confess. They were questioned by the police because the story was strange and there was evidence against it. Do you really believe Brazilian authorities would held 2 american citizens hostage during the loving olympics while the whole world is watching? They arent poor favela boys

The story was fishy from the start, Lochte changed his version multiple times, and now theres video footage, witness and confessions. What else do you need?

And yes, RJ is a dangerous hell and multiple people have been robbed during the olympics. And nobody tried to deny any of the other cases

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mirthless posted:

literally: Now that you have told us what we needed to to save face, you can go

Homeboy acts like a dumb spoiled child and then lies to the whole world about being a victim, repeatedly, and is caught in the lie. But is the Brazilian authorities that need to "save face"??

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some people are really bent on excusing/justifying their behavior and blaming it all in Brazil. Its kinda like "Lochte is an rear end in a top hat but how dare those savages bully an american like that? we all know they are all thieves anyway"

Is not like we dont deserve a bit of this terrible image, Brazil really has rampant crime and a corrupt police, but this one time they are obviously just doing their job and Lochte was obviously an idiot

edit: like the above poster. Yeah, lets ignore that Lochte and co. objectively lied to the police and that there are witness and video and even confessions. Its Brazil, right? They are all corrupt and just want to squeeze us for money

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

rscott posted:

You don't pull a gun on someone unless you are willing to shoot them, and if you're willing to shoot someone over some petty property damage that makes you pretty messed up. Being an idiot and a dick is not a capital offense. That's the point everyone is trying to make.

Ok, you got a point. Still I dont think we can say that they were robbed at gunpoint, and from what I've read, he just pulled it out for a second.Still bad, of course. But who knows, there are a lot of conflicting versions of that story floating around, we don't really know

And in fact, is not really common for a gas station security guy to be armed in Brazil, not where I live at least. But Rio is a loving war zone lately. I've read somewhere that the security guy was actually an off duty cop (they often takes security jobs as a second job), which would explain both the gun and his truculence

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He did, and that's a crime in itself.

But thinking about it, we have to admit that people all over, and maybe specially here in Brazil, jumped to demonize him too quickly without stopping to think that it is really strange and hosed up that this security guard, who is probably an offduty PM (military police), would pull a gun on these guys for so little

Everyone loves to hate Americans and Brazilians jumped at the opportunity to be the rock after being the window for the last few months

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say

Lochte is dumb and an rear end in a top hat, but that was a hosed up situtation

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

1. Americans have earned our bad reputation abroad many, many times over.
2. American cops, private security, and random vigilantes summarily execute people every day in this country for 1/10th of what Lochte and his cohort did.

Stop pretending like we have some moral high ground here.

Im Brazilian.

And yes, he commited a stupid crime and is a dumb rear end in a top hat. But, the more we know about it, the "vandalism" thing is looking weaker

As a Brazilian, it dont seems normal to me that the security would held then there, pull a gun or even call the police just because some drunken guys peed on some bushes and took a sign from the wall. If that was all they did, the security reaction was way over the top. I did worst several times in my life (when I was younger) and nobody ever pulled a gun on me. At most Ive been throw out of bars

For everything Ive seem in movies and TV, I think a private security guy or store owner pulling a gun is probably more common in the USA than here, and you did earned your bad rep.

But we earned ours too. We are a very violent society, our police is absurdly corrupt, and specially in Rio, the locals do have a know habit of trying to take whatever advantage they can from "gringos", so there's that. Heck, a few days before the olympics we had that NZ guy flee the country because he was being threatened by cops who had extorted him

edit: I just decided to wait a bit more for judgements, cause there are many aspects in this story which arent clear yet, and things are looking bad from our side too

edit 2: ^^^^ ok, if they are lying about the gun than they are really 100% in the wrong. drat gringos. but, lots of conflicting versions, we cant know yet. all we do know is that Lochte is a liar and a a very dumb person, regardless

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Nemo posted:

So, all in all, better than expected, right?

Yeap.

Personally I wanst a bit worried about zika (its winter), crime I knew it wanst going to be anything out of the ordinary for Rio, and for the pollution, it was everything so dirty how everybody already knew it was before the games (bad, but not enough to kill anybody. Heck, I swimmed on those same waters kinda recently and I am alive and well)

The one thing I was most worried about was a terrorist strike. I though ISIS or somesuch could take advantage of the fact we arent prepared to this kind of stuff, because it doenst happens around here. So if they did attacked, it would be a huge disaster

But they have no reason to strike Brazil and the fact no big foreign head of state came made it a unworthy target

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread