Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Fanatic posted:

From memory there was a controversy at a previous Olympics/Commonwealth Games where quite often the stands were empty because the tickets were often allocated to corporations who never showed up and the ticket prices were too expensive for the poorer local population, despite the demand. I don't know if that's been remedied for this games or not.
It was a big issue during the London 2012 Olympics. As I remember it, much of it was due to the typical Olympic Committee shenanigans. Part-and-parcel of demands like closing off roads in order to provide driving lanes that are for Olympic business only, primarily so Committee members can get around without encountering traffic. So those empty seats, right in front, were mostly reserved for the Olympic Committee themselves and their corporate sponsors. But if you have reserved seating for the entire Olympic Games, why show up for some boring swimming or gymnastic competition?

World would be a better place if cities were more willing to tell the Olympic Committee to go gently caress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

JoelJoel posted:

So the private security guard only pointed a loaded gun at the drunk idiots twice before taking their money? If this is what petty drunken vandalism gets you I'd hate to see what happens to someone who steals, gets into a fender bender, or trespasses.
I've seen security guards break the nose of a thief with the butt of shotgun, while they were literally dragging him off. This was in a mall where security survived a shootout with a gang of attempted bank robbers, I don't think they had a compassionate attitude towards criminals. However this wasn't in Brazil, just elsewhere in Latin America.

• Locked thread