Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The Olympic gods must hate Brazil, this is the worst possible time for them to be holding them. Another year or two and a vaccine would probably be out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Iowa Snow King posted:

...a sexually communicable disease that causes birth defects?

That's just hosed up, nature

Probably at the worst possible time too, unless the effects of the virus in those first couple weeks of pregnancy just cause the embryo to become non-viable.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

ukle posted:

The issue is though that there has been no cases of babies born with microphaly who have been linked Zika outside of Brazil, yet. As to why this is, is unknown at this time. Its led to questions of what is different with Brazil, is it just greater incidence of Zika or some other factor. Until a link is found or cases of microphaly with Zika outside of Brazil there will be scare stories with I believe no factual basis e.g. that it was being caused by GM mosquitoes released in Brazil to fight the Dengue virus.

I've heard that the microcephaly numbers for Brazil pre-Zika were probably massively undercounted compared to the rate in countries like the US, so the microcephaly increase probably isn't nearly as extreme as it looks. However, Brazil's current number of microcephalic babies is still apparently abnormally high, even taking that into account.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

WMain00 posted:

Yes it should be cancelled. The risk of worldwide spread of the virus is too great.

Does anyone know how well the virus can mutate? Is there a risk it could mutate to become more infectious? Presumably the longer it kicks about in human biology the easier this becomes?

I thought I read somewhere that viruses in this family don't tend to mutate quickly, but I can't source that.

• Locked thread