Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The sterility gene hitches a ride on a mosquito-born parasite, ends up in the human body, turn all infected men sterile.

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Everything's fine guys!!!! Nothing is ruined!!!!! We're all peachy-keen here!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/17/rio-de-janeiro-financial-emergency-olympic-games-2016

quote:

Forty-nine days before the opening of the Olympics, the governor of Rio de Janeiro has declared a state of financial emergency and begged for federal support to avoid a “total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management”.

The plea for funds is an embarrassment for the host of South America’s first Games and adds to a long list of woes that includes the impeachment of the president, the deepest recession in decades, the biggest corruption scandal in memory, the Zika epidemic and a wave of strikes and occupations of government buildings.

quote:

City mayor Eduardo Paes insisted the state of emergency would in no way impede Rio’s ability to meet its Olympic commitments and stage an “exceptional Games.” He stressed that the bulk of the bill for the event was being paid by the municipality not the state.

“The city of Rio is in good shape financially,” he told the Guardian. “Even in a time of crisis, we keep pushing. We inaugurate things almost every week.”

I met a pair planing to go down for the Olympics a couple weeks ago. I know they were worried about the Zika epidemic, but I don't know how closely they were following the political stuff. I'm not sure I'd want to be in Rio during the Olympics, doom virus aside.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sure it won't impact the games, just a poo poo load of poor people.

that almost feels worse

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

hrrrm, yes
this seems fine and good

so, I think this was discussed earlier in the thread, but at what point do you consider pulling out of, or canceling, the olympics? I know there's a lot riding on athletes being able to attend and compete but when does it stop being worth it?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Are you an olympic athlete?
Do you want to further the cause of science?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

remember when everyone marveled over the 'disaster' Sochi was going to be

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Indeed. A cat taking out a drop ceiling is funny. A swarm of mosquitos descending from that drop ceiling is scary as gently caress.

oh to have those days back

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Kitty Chiller

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

build olympic island in the middle of international waters

no
better
olympic station in earth orbit

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I mean we aren't using Antarctica for anything right? It's supposed to be the global continent. :getin:

that's for the winter olympics, duh

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus. Don't go to Rio

I don't know, maybe Jesus could help

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

uh, is this the police force that went on strike over not getting paid?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

why the hell would you lie about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

sounds like a new olympic sport, imo

• Locked thread