Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So... What makes the Rio police more credible than Lochte again?

Is it the part where they have actually robbed people and held them hostage before, and are thus experts on whether or not this actually happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Elias_Maluco posted:

The fact that his own team mates confessed the lie and there's video footage of then vandalizing the gas station?

His teammates are being forcibly held in the country. By a police force that has been known to rob foreigners and hold them hostage.

Unless I've found the wrong video the only video I could find has them only in one corner of the video and they are not particularly visible or identifiable

:shrug: I don't know why incompetence/corruption is so believable in every other case. I get it, Lochte is a douche and may be (is probably?) lying but it's not like there weren't hundreds of muggings throughout the course of the olympics. Feels to me like the brazillian government is trying to save themselves some embarassment by trying to make the conversation about some douchey athletes instead of how badly they hosed up security (like everything else)

edit: Okay I saw joepinetree's post:

joepinetree posted:

The robbers taking his cash while leaving his (and everyone's) huge rear end watch, wallet, and, more importantly, cell phones - completely, absolutely, 100% unbelievable. Cell phones are by far the number 1 thing robbers go after in Brazil. I've had relatives robbed where the robber didn't even ask for money, just the cell phone. Being robbed is so common in Brazil that most people don't walk around with much cash on them. I have never, ever heard of a robbery in Brazil where the robbers went for cash and not cell phone or watch. Kidnapping someone and forcing them to go to an ATM? Sure. But leaving behind obviously expensive watches and cell phones while taking only cash? Every single Brazilian I know started claiming BS the second they heard that.

OK yeah this makes sense I suppose, but holding visiting athletes in custody over a petty crime because they told an embarrassing lie strikes me as an incredibly foolish course of action to take esp. when the media already can't stop talking about how badly they hosed up the olympic games

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 18, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

Why are some Americans acting like lying to the cops is no big deal and somehow the evil Brazilians are oppressing ARE GREAT AMERICAN ATHLETES?

Newsflash: you have to follow the law, even when you're in a country that isn't your own. If the police are lying, they're really loving stupid to stick with the lie because the story is being covered around the world and any planned extortion wouldn't actually work.

???

They didn't lie to the cops, they lied to the press?

Also it turns out the security guard that made them pay for the door did so at gunpoint

quote:

Authorities said Conger, Bentz and James Feigen, the fourth athlete at the gas station, would be allowed to leave the country after officials "confirmed they had no more need" for them to give further statements.

literally: Now that you have told us what we needed to to save face, you can go

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

joepinetree posted:

According to the New York Times, after the first reports of the robbery became public on Sunday, state department officials and the USOC met with the swimmers and they all agreed that they should avoid attracting more attention and let the USOC handle things via a statement. Immediately after that, Lochte went to the beach and gave NBC that first interview.

Ouch

Lochte is not a smart fellow

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
The more I know about this the less I want to say anything because Ryan Lochte is very clearly a terrible person who lied about something in a specific way to (I'm sure, at least, he thought would) make himself look awesome but holy poo poo PT6A he was still actually, literally robbed at gunpoint

It is not normal for a security guard to pull a firearm on somebody over property damage and demand they hand over cash. That is a mugging, there is no other way to describe that. You can argue whether or not it was a justified mugging (lol) but it doesn't change the fact that a security guard pulled a gun on him and wouldn't let him leave until money changed hands.

This is why Brazil should have just let it go, imo, the brazilian government downplaying what happened is far worse than some douchebag swimmer telling a tall tale about getting robbed. What actually seems to have occurred here is a pretty loving far cry from the way they were describing events just two days ago.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 19, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dias posted:

There's a bunch of conflcting stories going around but in most of them, it was not literally robbed at gunpoint. They were even saying the money offer came from the Americans, the guards just wanted to hold them until police arrived (which is more than fair) and the guns were pulled because they were getting into their taxis to leave the gas station. gently caress, the videos don't really show much aggressiveness out of the guards.

:psyduck:

You guys have some very weird ideas of what aggression is in Brazil, clearly.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JoelJoel posted:

So the private security guard only pointed a loaded gun at the drunk idiots twice before taking their money? If this is what petty drunken vandalism gets you I'd hate to see what happens to someone who steals, gets into a fender bender, or trespasses.

Haha, exactly

Lochte is an incredibly contemptible douchebag but considering he grew up in the united states I can't exactly blame him for framing this as an armed robbery, because by our standards, that is exactly what this would be

Just because some weird unacceptable thing is normal and acceptable in Rio doesn't make it normal and acceptable everywhere else

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dias posted:

The drunken idiots tried to run away, got stopped by a guy with a gun in his hand, then they were told to sit down and wait for the police and a specific drunken idiot refused to comply...and got the gun pointed at him again. Then, on their OWN iniciative, they handed money to the guys so they wouldn't get police involved. Sorry if this wrecks your narrative.

Your narrative only wrecks our narrative if we take it on face value as true

I don't take your narrative at face value as being true because the people who are spreading the narrative- primarily Rio police, the Brazilian government and it's representatives - have been actively trying to downplay what happened because of how embarrassing this is for them and just the mere existence of a gun is something they were disputing only a couple of days ago.

The only thing I think here that we can be 100% sure of after the last couple of days is that Ryan Lochte is possibly the biggest douchebag in America, and also, you should probably never go to Brazil for any reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

gohmak posted:

So Lochte was lying when he said "whatever "

He probably didn't have a gun pushed against his head, though considering he was drunk and being menaced by two dudes with firearms I can't say I blame him for having a poor memory

Dias posted:

See, that doesn't entirely match what their "translator" said earlier today on TV or what came out during testimony: the swimmers asked if they could pay for the damage and just leave, the guards said sure, etc, etc. I dunno why the random dude would lie about it either, it's not like HE got paid, he was just a customer that spoke English.

Maybe the translator thought this interaction was a perfectly reasonable thing just like you seem to

Because, again, if this happened in the united states, the only people who would likely be going to jail here would have been the security guards

It's so loving bizarre to me how many ways you guys are rationalizing the absolutely bonkers situation of a civilian holding another civilian at gunpoint over twenty dollars

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 20, 2016

• Locked thread