Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dias posted:

That's the one major fuckup in the organization, I have no idea why they didn't move the competition if the water is THAT bad like every foreign media organization is reporting. However, on the third mutant hand all Brazilians have due to pollution, Zika and having to hold an extra wallet to pay off police officers, it's also one of those things that are much worse for locals than for the event itself. They're reporting the pollution levels are under control where the events will happen and there's a concentrated effort to clean up garbage, so chances are everything is gonna run fine.

It's kinda how I see the entire thing, really. Preparing for the events revealed all of our infrastructural issues, and we're gonna have to foot the bill, but if you're expecting a complete shitfest DURING the Games, I don't think you're getting much, unfortunately. Maybe someone will trip during the opening ceremony, or a journalist will get mugged. Hell, I think most Brazilians are also hungry for a blowup, so I'm not even doing this out of "national pride". I just think some poo poo's overblown for its impact on the event itself, even when they're legitimate issues. Might be sounding like Michael Jackson here, but what can I say.

Have you been living under a rock or something? Not even the ioc is this optimistic anymore, for reasons obvious to anyone paying attention.

Like I feel the post had to be a time warp from a year ago when it was actually still possible to fix things in time. They literally don't even have security yet. To think things are overblown belies a complete ignorance to stuff that is actually happening.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

Do we have an extradition treaty? Can we send him back?

They didn't report it to the police they tweeted it. How the hell can you pull people off planes or take passports for a loving tweet. Oh right, that's what 3rd world shitholes do.

That judge must be really :qq: about the games or something, this is like Chinese level face-saving.

Dias posted:

That's the one major fuckup in the organization, I have no idea why they didn't move the competition if the water is THAT bad like every foreign media organization is reporting. However, on the third mutant hand all Brazilians have due to pollution, Zika and having to hold an extra wallet to pay off police officers, it's also one of those things that are much worse for locals than for the event itself. They're reporting the pollution levels are under control where the events will happen and there's a concentrated effort to clean up garbage, so chances are everything is gonna run fine.

It's kinda how I see the entire thing, really. Preparing for the events revealed all of our infrastructural issues, and we're gonna have to foot the bill, but if you're expecting a complete shitfest DURING the Games, I don't think you're getting much, unfortunately. Maybe someone will trip during the opening ceremony, or a journalist will get mugged. Hell, I think most Brazilians are also hungry for a blowup, so I'm not even doing this out of "national pride". I just think some poo poo's overblown for its impact on the event itself, even when they're legitimate issues. Might be sounding like Michael Jackson here, but what can I say.

I just hope no one explodes anything because the last thing we need is to boost the right-wing conservative semi-legitimate government we have going.

Actually the Olympics have been a complete disaster and now there's a good chance that the para-Olympics aren't even going to happen now, :lol:. You made Sochi look like a well done, corruption-free, and competently managed affair by comparison.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Yes, although a decent US lawyer could throw a wrench in any Brazilian extradition requests pretty much indefinitely. I mean, this isn't a capital crime. It's more than likely that they got scammed at a brothel, lied about it to drum up some accolades, and then got found out because for once the policia civil decided to do their jobs.

It was never reported to the police, dude called his mother. Is tweeting a crime in Brazil now? You'd think they would have better things to worry about as people get murdered simply for driving down the wrong street.

tsa fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 18, 2016

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dias posted:

Look, I'm done discussing this because it's going nowhere, you're set on it being a holdup, I think that's a major over-exaggeration, already said my peace on what I think about the guard's reaction, nothing is gonna change, so if you don't mind I'd rather not engage you again on that topic.

You think it's an exaggeration because getting robbed at gunpoint is a part of daily life where you live.

PT6A posted:

The fact that the security guard/police officer/whatever was an rear end in a top hat doesn't make Lochte not an rear end in a top hat and a liar, and it doesn't mean that Lochte didn't commit a crime; that's what people defending Lochte don't seem to understand. Everyone involved in that whole situation appears to be in the wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

How dare lochte get a gun pulled on him, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread