Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Considering sexual transmission is a Zika vector, I'd take issue with the assertion that it's not that dangerous if you aren't pregnant.

We do not know this yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Troutful posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely concerned about this disease's impact on women and their children, and I hope it prompts a reexamination of abortion rights and maternal healthcare policies more generally. Telling women not to get pregnant is entirely the wrong way to deal with a condition we can screen for in utero.

This only helps if the person is willing to abort, no?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Men are capable of transmitting Zika during sex, while no cases of female transmission have been recorded.

Woops, this story moves super fast, sorry.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

I'd disagree on that entirely. Mosquitoes serve basically as a source of protein for a lot of animals that wouldn't otherwise be getting it. By eating the annoying little bastards, frogs/bats/Whatever get a boost of protein from the blood they've ingested. Instead of trying to destroy the bugs, we should be looking on how we can modify them to not be quite as annoying. Mosquitoes can already spread viruses and parasites, why not develop something they can spread that's beneficial? Vaccines or something. Or see if they can't modify their spit to be painless and also not itchy. I'd be fine with getting bit as long as there wasn't that loving itch/if it gave me a booster for vaccines and poo poo.

This is from a month ago but the general consensus seems to be that if we just focused on the sub-species that caused problems (only a couple actually cause problems) there wouldn't be any real concern and we should probably consider it as an option if it is feasible.

Having them fly around with vaccines sounds like a fantastically terrible idea.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

AriadneThread posted:

Everything's fine guys!!!! Nothing is ruined!!!!! We're all peachy-keen here!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/17/rio-de-janeiro-financial-emergency-olympic-games-2016

I met a pair planing to go down for the Olympics a couple weeks ago. I know they were worried about the Zika epidemic, but I don't know how closely they were following the political stuff. I'm not sure I'd want to be in Rio during the Olympics, doom virus aside.

It seems that because the mosquito population declines during the time the Olympics will be held and computer models blah blah blah zika is honestly the least thing you should be worried about given everything else that is happening.

• Locked thread