Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Can't we just release our genetically modified sterile mosquitoes and be done with it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's scary because it's new and looks like it can cause birth defects, but there are many other pre-existing mosquito-borne illnesses that have a much larger impact (dengue, malaria, etc etc.) Getting rid of mosquitos entirely would be a pretty good goal IMO, especially as species that thrive in cities begin to become more widespread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
From what I remember of the World Cup, 90% of the tickets go to corporate sponsors and the rest to whatever counts as Ticketmaster in this context.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Practice makes perfect, I suppose.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
You said it three times, so per the law...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
What a jeahbroni.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hey, there was a nice article in the NYTimes today about Zika.

"Zika, a Formidable Enemy, Attacks and Destroys Parts of Babies’ Brains posted:

The images tell a heartbreaking story: Zika’s calamitous attack on the brains of babies — as seen from the inside.

With a macabre catalog of brain scans and ultrasound pictures, a new study details the devastation done to 45 Brazilian babies whose mothers were infected with Zika during pregnancy. The study, published Tuesday in the journal Radiology, is the most comprehensive collection of such images so far, and it reveals a virus that can launch assaults beyond microcephaly, the condition of unusually small heads that has become the sinister signature of Zika.

Most of the babies in the study were born with microcephaly, but many of them also suffered other impairments, including damage to important parts of the brain: the corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres of the brain; the cerebellum, which plays a significant role in movement, balance and speech; the basal ganglia, which are involved in thinking and emotion.

“It’s not just the small brain, it’s that there’s a lot more damage,” said Dr. Deborah Levine, an author of the study and a professor of radiology at Harvard Medical School in Boston. “The abnormalities that we see in the brain suggest a very early disruption of the brain development process.”

The findings also raised worrisome concerns about whether babies born without such obvious impairments could develop brain damage as they grow.

etc etc etc.

So even if your baby doesn't have obvious microcephaly its brain is probably irreparably damaged in all kinds of fun ways you won't find out about until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
And if Lochte has listened to what the State Department told him maybe this could all have been figured out without causing an international incident. poo poo happens but Lochte instigated and escalated the whole thing. Whether the security guard was right or wrong isn't relevant anymore.

• Locked thread