Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Iowa Snow King posted:

...a sexually communicable disease that causes birth defects?

That's just hosed up, nature

Well, humanity had a good run.

This is legitimately scary in a way that Ebola, SARS, etc never really were. I can't imagine how expecting parents or people who are trying to conceive must be feeling right now in any of the places that are afflicted or areas that might be vulnerable once the seasons start changing. I hope they get a vaccine out soon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I was in Brasil last year for a Fulbright program and the international reporting has not even come close to doing justice to how bad things are on the ground. Their economy is poo poo, the Olympics are causing all kinds of damage and unrest, the real is in the gutter (3 or 4 real per dollar, if not worse), how bad public services are tanking (crazy bus and subway fee hikes), people not getting stipends and striking in droves in resposne, the rampant corruption and mismanagement of various public works, the health crisis with Dengue and now Zika, the drought in SP, etc. The list is really kind of endless. The governmental stuff with Dilma is just the icing on the cake. Like someone else said, if oil, minerals, etc were trading higher right now the PT might've had enough money to ride things out, but no chance of that happening now. To be clear, I'm not blaming all that on the PT (most of it is just business as usual in Brasil and Dilma has done a lot of work supporting the poor and the growing middle class), but they're in a vortex of poo poo right now with no signs of slowdown.

Good resources on what's happening now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gMrRORKyHQ

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/dilma-rousseff-enemies-impeached-brazil

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/18/brazil-is-engulfed-by-ruling-class-corruption-and-a-dangerous-subversion-of-democracy/

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The PT under Lula (Dilma's predecessor) was still involved in lots of shady poo poo, but they at least made some strides towards redistributing some of the wealth in order to grow the middle class and try to lessen some of the inequalities that are rife in Brazilian society.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know the Olympics are run by cartoon corrupt officials and all but seriously is there any odds of this being called off somehow?

Short of a very large war kicking off in South America, the Olympics are not getting canceled.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, although a decent US lawyer could throw a wrench in any Brazilian extradition requests pretty much indefinitely. I mean, this isn't a capital crime. It's more than likely that they got scammed at a brothel, lied about it to drum up some accolades, and then got found out because for once the policia civil decided to do their jobs.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

tsa posted:

They didn't report it to the police they tweeted it. How the hell can you pull people off planes or take passports for a loving tweet. Oh right, that's what 3rd world shitholes do.

That judge must be really :qq: about the games or something, this is like Chinese level face-saving.

It was never reported to the police, dude called his mother. Is tweeting a crime in Brazil now? You'd think they would have better things to worry about as people get murdered simply for driving down the wrong street.

Yeah, it's only 3rd world shitholes regularly infringe on people's right to free speech or misconstrue events in order to over-police otherwise meaningless infractions.

Or is it: https://theintercept.com/2016/07/12/after-dallas-shootings-police-arrest-people-for-criticizing-cops-on-facebook-and-twitter/

Step down off your nationalist shitbox.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why the gently caress would fit and attractive Olympians need to even leave the village if they wanted to gently caress some hot exotic women?

Why wouldn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

He did, and that's a crime in itself.

But thinking about it, we have to admit that people all over, and maybe specially here in Brazil, jumped to demonize him too quickly without stopping to think that it is really strange and hosed up that this security guard, who is probably an offduty PM (military police), would pull a gun on these guys for so little

It's not strange though, in the US or Brazil.

If anything, Lochte got off as light as possible in this situation, because private security in Brazil (who are often off-duty police, as others have mentioned) can and often will completely twist you badly up for infractions way below anything Lochte did in that store. Calling the policia civil usually doesn't even factor into the process. The guard probably didn't recognize Lochte, but knew better than to rough up three gringos. No one wants that kind of trouble with the US embassy. They vandalized a store and the guard utilized the only option he had, a threat of force, to try and subdue them until the actual authorities showed up, and even that didn't work because in the end they ran figuring that they would get away with it and they were (mostly) correct.

He's being rightly demonized because he's an rear end in a top hat who committed a crime, then tried to spin the story using nationalist stereotypes, and he will get away with it because of the (avert your eyes) privilege that he has as a prominent white US Olympian. Even his suspension isn't an actual punishment, the guy's career is basically over anyway and he'll still pick up a cushy coaching gig somewhere in a year or two.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Everyone loves to hate Americans and Brazilians jumped at the opportunity to be the rock after being the window for the last few months

1. Americans have earned our bad reputation abroad many, many times over.
2. American cops, private security, and random vigilantes summarily execute people every day in this country for 1/10th of what Lochte and his cohort did.

Stop pretending like we have some moral high ground here.

• Locked thread