Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
any european movie. they generally aren't in english and they make you ruminate on it for days on end.

concussion for best picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

When McConaughey reunites with his daughter at the end of Interstellar, doesn't he only stay with her for like a minute before walking off or am I remembering that wrong?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Professor Shark posted:

That sucks, that was a movie I was sort of kind of looking forward to watching on Netflix next year

I don't read books that much, but I finished The Martian (by Andy Weir) in a day and it was loving amazing. I watched the movie a couple days later and realized the only reason it's any good is because Ridley Scott relied heavily on the writing and didn't do anything that couldn't have been done by even shittier directors. The novel is way more exciting and interesting, and I will goon on about it until the day I die.

Marvel movies are all kinda "meh" but I can't understand why everyone loves The Winter Soldier so much. I think it just draws parallels to real life American corruption, and as a dirty foreigner I just can't identify with it.

Guardians of the Galaxy was loving hilarious, what the hell is wrong with you people.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

It was super long too, or was a regular length and time dilation or whatever made it seem like 12 hours
i feel like they made it that long because of how the movie was like "see, black holes warp time and now Matt is in the past talking with his daughter because he got sucked into one!!!"

which make perfect sense because like a black hole, Interstellar sucked

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TwoStepBoog posted:

When McConaughey reunites with his daughter at the end of Interstellar, doesn't he only stay with her for like a minute before walking off or am I remembering that wrong?
essentially yes. i think he walks in, sits down, says "hi, i was right" and walks out, leaving her to die of cancer or something, i don't know, we were throwing popcorn and poo poo at each other by the end

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TwoStepBoog posted:

She sends him away because she's dying and doesn't want him to have to watch her go, plus he's outside her family now and she wants to be with her kids and grandkids

Then he chills in the museum for a while with the robot (robots were the best part of the movie) and hops into a stolen ship to go rescue Anne Hathaway, who humanity was apparently just going to leave on the planet she went to

Nolan was asked about the ending and apparently said that the wormhole closed, meaning Matt McConaughey hopped into a ship and asphyxiated a few days later, instead of what was 100% obviously intended, that a few months go by from Anne Hathaway's perspective but eventually Coop would arrive to rescue her/ join her/ whatever

Some goon in C&D argued for the idea that Coop BELIEVED and that the ending was about HOPE or some poo poo like that, instead of Nolan just not remembering lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oh yeah, Whiplash. I don't get why people love this movie so much. It must have that band geek appeal or something.

Professor Shark posted:

List of Movies, from Recent to Oldest, that Professor Shark has enjoyed in the last few years:
We must like the same things. This is a p. good list.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Airborne Viking posted:

We must like the same things. This is a p. good list.

How do you feel about butts? I have passionate opinions on them :shobon:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

i like me some "shark booty"

hot for teacher indeed :mmmhmm:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
yeah professor shark, your list was p. solid and since you also hate interstellar I will now watch the only movie on that list I haven't seen (grand budapest hotel)

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
oh and small, tight white girl butts are the best butts

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Butts are neat and all, but when I really get to know someone they better have some tits to play with. :smuggo:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Concepcion posted:

yeah professor shark, your list was p. solid and since you also hate interstellar I will now watch the only movie on that list I haven't seen (grand budapest hotel)

It's disappointing

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dave Concepcion posted:

This is a risky one since Wes Anderson is really hit-or-miss with people

I liked it a lot, Moonrise Kingdom which he made before GBH was better

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Dave Concepcion posted:

oh and small, tight white girl butts are the best butts

Gotta be honest in this context it's a little weird to specify white.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
on the overrated angle star wars sucked hard, but on the disappointing front I had way higher personal hopes for Prometheus which was an absolute loving trainwreck

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

episode VII was good, idiots

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Airborne Viking posted:

I don't read books that much, but I finished The Martian (by Andy Weir) in a day and it was loving amazing. I watched the movie a couple days later and realized the only reason it's any good is because Ridley Scott relied heavily on the writing and didn't do anything that couldn't have been done by even shittier directors. The novel is way more exciting and interesting, and I will goon on about it until the day I die.

The book has a unit of measurement called "pirate-ninjas". It's exactly the kind of garbage that people who follow I loving Love Science on Facebook and read XKCD love because it lets them feel like they're smart and know a lot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Hateful Eight sucked and that made me upset because I love Tarantino and Tim Roth.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

symbolic posted:

episode VII was good, idiots

The Force Awakens was thoroughly average and would be considered pretty forgettable if it wasn't a Star Wars film.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how high your standards seem to be, I'm surprised any of you even bother to watch movies anymore

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like Wes Anderson because he made Natalie Portman show her naked white girl butt* but I sure would appreciate it if he would make at least one movie intended for fully functioning adults.

*She's not that Jewy so it counts

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

khwarezm posted:

The Force Awakens was thoroughly average and would be considered pretty forgettable if it wasn't a Star Wars film.

also if people didn't keep comparing it favourable to the disastrous prequels; it's the 4th best star wars movie by some distance

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Considering how high your standards seem to be, I'm surprised any of you even bother to watch movies anymore

Good lord

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember there was an episode of CSI and they questioned some waiter and asked him for an alibi like "What, you went home all night? Didn't go to see a movie or nothin'?" and he replied "I don't watch movies- I attend theatre"

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ooh lawdy send me just one girl who'd rather rewatch Stalker than some candy fluff horseshit like Moonrise Kingdom, and who doesn't have a severe sexual hangup or morbid depression ~ lawdy I knows it's a lot to ask, surely I knows

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"I don't watch movies- I attend theatre"
:goonsay:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I remember there was an episode of CSI and they questioned some waiter and asked him for an alibi like "What, you went home all night? Didn't go to see a movie or nothin'?" and he replied "I don't watch movies- I attend theatre"

I saw a really good play a couple of times, is good

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The book has a unit of measurement called "pirate-ninjas". It's exactly the kind of garbage that people who follow I loving Love Science on Facebook and read XKCD love because it lets them feel like they're smart and know a lot.
You're absolutely right, but the only reason "pirate-ninjas" stands out is because it's the dumbest example of how the author tries to get into technical detail without boring the poo poo out of the reader. Aside from that, it's written very well with an interesting story. As someone who dropped out of engineering and doesn't read books, I had a lot of fun with this sci-fi novel so shut your face.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a) did I fall asleep
b) did I check my phone

If I can say "no" to both that's a good movie IMO but I guess others watch movies hoping for some eye-opening revelation IDK.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

Interstellar was so bad though, even Nolan had forgotten how it ended when he was questioned about it after it came out lol

something about the space man trying to tap out a message in morse code on a tarp to warn about the chain of events that would lead inevitably to the end of the world but ranchers ain't use no dad burn high falutin telegraphs

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Airborne Viking posted:

As someone who dropped out of engineering and doesn't read books

The only thing you could preface an opinion about books with that would make me totally ignore what your we're about to say next more would be "As a mother."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, that's what I'm saying

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a) did I fall asleep
b) did I check my phone

If I can say "no" to both that's a good movie IMO but I guess others watch movies hoping for some eye-opening revelation IDK.

a) is it pablum
b) if it is pablum do they at least make the actress show her poosay and maybe lez out

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Shaquin posted:

Gotta be honest in this context it's a little weird to specify white.

every butt is white by the time i'm done nutting on it

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

The only thing you could preface an opinion about books with that would make me totally ignore what your we're about to say next more would be "As a mother."
I'm a man of the people, forum user Sheep-Goats. :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Airborne Viking posted:

I'm a man of the people, forum user Sheep-Goats. :colbert:

Me too:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

does this count as a film because i am not disappointed

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Dark Knight was way too drat long, could have saved Harvey Dent/Two Face for a sequel instead of shoehorning him in with The Joker, and although Heath Ledger was alright in it, people emptied and shriveled up their e-balls ejaculating all over the Internet like his performance was the second, third, and fourth coming of Jesus Christ.

It was quite boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
You should have high standards for media you consume because your life will be pitifully short and it's probably best to fill that with things that are worth while and not the entertainment version of loving ring dings

• Locked thread