Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

First of all, Happy New Year!

That's right, chums: February means Chinese New Year, so here are Great Ten Things to Do in the Chat Thread!
  • BS with BSS: A chat thread is a :krad: place to post any sort of crap. Have a weird dream? See a terrible movie? Eat a sandwich? Go ahead and tell us.
  • PYF Comics Goats: February also means Lupercalia—time to dress the thread in goatskin to banish evil spirits.
  • Derail: If conversation has wandered too far afield of its thread's topic, move it to the chat thread.
  • Mummies: We haven't even begun to explore the wonder, the power, and the potential of mummies in comics—or in our hearts.
  • Deadpool: February includes both World Cancer Day, and the release of the Deadpool movie. Both events are important moments in the struggle for a cure. Discuss this beautiful, awareness-raising film, and celebrate Fox’s choice to release it.
  • Marmots: Of course, the second of the month is Marmot Day, celebrating Alaska’s heritage and larger squirrel-like rodents. Post weird Squirrel Girl and/or Alaska fan art.
  • The Gipper: Since the sixth is Ronald Reagan Day, this month is the perfect time to discuss comics’ unusually many depictions of Hawk’s and Hawkman’s favorite POTUS.
  • Romance: Of course, we can't forget the softer side of the month: Freedom to Marry Day, on the 12th! Combine that with Canadian Flag Day, and celebrate the most important maple-clad married man in comics: Northstar!
  • Mummies: Mummies…mummies...MUMMIES…MUMMIES!!!!! :siren:MUUUUMMIIIIIIEEEES!!!!!!!!!:siren:
  • 29 Days: In honor of the shortest month, let's talk about the shortest man in the shortest comic. That's right, chums: February is Ziggypalooza!

Welp that's the op, let's chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Werewolves rule, mummies drool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadpool hates balls.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Werewolves rule, mummies drool.

I will meet this challenge, on the field of European erotic horror comic covers:

(mildly) :nws: Werewolf :nws:

:nws: Mummy :nws:

ADVANTAGE: MUMMIES

quod erat demonstrandum

Rhyno posted:

Deadpool hates balls.

While impressive, that's nothing compared to the level of thrilling ball-handling peril you'll find in mummy comics!

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Although many cultures practiced mummification, perhaps the most well-known are the Egyptians.

Thus, mummies are from Egypt. Konshu is from Egypt. I love Moon Knight.

Hence:

My vote is Mummies.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Those Buddhist monks who mummified themselves are way cooler than egyptian mummies

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A well known rivalry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was hoping to discuss Savage Dragon a little more, so I posted in the old thread this afternoon, right before it was closed:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well, I just finished Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 3 (collecting #51-75), and I enjoyed it way more than I expected to. It reminded me of the comics I used to write as a teenager (The Super Squadron and The Honor Guard) -- just wild imagination and unbridled id at play, riffing off DC and Marvel and popular culture in general, with a surprising amount of "slice of life"/soap opera-esque character development, some silly humor, and occasional shocking violence and unexpected tragedy to jolt the reader out of a comfort zone.

There is literally a cast of hundreds, and Larsen has no problem shaking up the status quo for heroes, villains, and supporting characters alike. There are time jumps, major life events (marriages, children being born and growing up, breakups, deaths), crime stories, Kirby-esque space opera, good old-fashioned slugfests, callbacks and running gags, and meta-commentary on superhero comics as a genre and comics as an entire medium of storytelling.

Of course, Larsen wallows in '90s excesses, between the outbreaks of ultraviolence and the ridiculously voluptuous, scantily-clad female characters (who occasionally get fridged). With regard to the latter, I get the impression he's self-aware of what a dirty old man he is, compared to most of his '90s Image contemporaries, and he's somewhat in on the joke. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit there, since the Dragon seems like a real self-insert character at times, always in a long term relationship or a casual hook-up with one gravity-defying buxom babe or another.

There's a sense of fun to it all that most of the other '90s Image titles never had. It's over-the-top on purpose, always with a wink and a smile, rather than glowing eyes and gritted teeth. And his world building and strong sense of continuity give us characters and settings where everything matters, no matter how silly or sad or stupid it may seem at the time. It helps that one man has written and drawn everything, that's for sure.

I'm sure I'm missing all kinds of nuances to the art since this Archives volume is in black and white. Unfortunately, the covers are all at the end of the book, and any "In the next issue" transitions are left out, so I'm not sure where the issues begin and end, and that affects the pacing somewhat. But I'm enjoying Savage Dragon more than I ever thought I would, reading these 1998 comics with fresh eyes and an open mind in 2016. I hope our library gets e-book versions of the rest of these Archives, and if it doesn't, I may even be tempted to track them down for myself. For the few of you who have read this series, does the quality stay pretty consistent, such as it is?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The observation that it's like the comics you made as a teenager is exactly on point, because that's exactly what's happening. Larsen is literally drawing a comic he made up when he was a kid, and doing it the way he wants to. It probably helps that he made so much money in the '90s that he can afford not to give a gently caress.

The rest of your points are all well stated as well. I hope you manage to turn up a copy of the first two archives, as there's some really good stuff in there, especially now that I know you liked the stuff from 50-75. Of course, 76 is when things get, for better or worse, really crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love me some Savage Dragon. Previously I said it's a shame that Larsen doesn't care anymore and I didn't clarify. I feel like he stopped caring about putting the book out in a timely manner because there have been several stretches where the issues came out at a glacial pace. I fell off years ago and keep meaning to get back into it. It's a shame he hasn't released the series in the OS format Invincible and Walking Dead get.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
A perfect example of the kind of humor in Savage Dragon: our musclebound, green-skinned hero walks into a bar full of tough guys, looking for a missing woman. He announces "I'M LOOKING FOR AMANDA LOVE!" Everyone freaks out and runs out of the bar, leaving Dragon confused. Then it slowly dawns on him what that must have sounded like, and he slaps his forehead, looks at the reader with frustration, and says "Oh, Jesus Christ."

I admit it, I laughed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Savage Dragon has always seemed too dumb & juvenile to me, and that doesn't help.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Savage Dragon has always seemed too dumb & juvenile to me, and that doesn't help.

Haven't read it, but based on the above, it sounds dumb and sophisticated. Goofy pop-trash, done with craft.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's pretty basic children's playground wordplay, but I'm more secondhand embarassed by the "wha-oh, shame on me, I'm just now realizing my goofy mistake" part honestly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I've been reading some comments on BC about retailers reacting at the idea of Wal-Mart having a Graphic Novel section and it got me curious, it would be too difficult for comics to get again in newsstands and the like?

Here in Mexico the localized comics are sold everywhere, newsstands, supermarkets, departmental stores, only libraries don't carry comics. And so far, the market couldn't be more healthier. The selection of comics has gone beyond just Marvel and DC and now we have pretty much every relevant title from small companies like IDW, Image, Dynamite and I think even Zenescope managed to land some titles here.

The publisher handling both DC and Marvel has brought variant covers (even a set exclusive for us), every month publishes TPBs and Hardcovers ranging from editing classic stories never published here before (Sandman, Moore's Swamp Thing), to hugely popular stories (Batman Year One, Death of Superman, Maximum Carnage) to full recent events (Court of Owls, Doomed) And while we don't get every title launched in the US -only the most popular ones- we haven't had nothing like this since forever.

It would be possible for the industry to find new life returning to its mainstream roots or is Mexico's situation an anomaly?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't want to be Americentric, but I've never seen a newstand in my life. I mean, it's probably different in places like New York, but newspapers are a dying industry as it is anyaway. As far as I'm aware supermarkets still sell some comics, though, like Archie and stuff-don't know about DC and the like.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I said at some point I'd make it my monthly chat thread gimmick to tie in every post I made to a random X-Men character each month but even ignoring how tedious to read that would be, I also realized there's no good "random X-Men picker" tool I can find, or even a list of every X-Men in a simple list I can copy and paste anywhere so I guess this is me officially saying I'm not going to do that unless I can find that random X-Men picker.

Although my other chatthread commitment of reading one backlogged TPB I own a month worked out. Harbinger Vol 1 was pretty good. It's the first volume of a series and is mostly doing setup so it's hard to have too many strong feelings, but I'd totally check out Vol 2 once I have time/have cut down on my existing backlog. Still gotta pick a book for next month.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think the problem is that there's too many titles. When nu52 happened, Barnes and Noble, the biggest American chain store, carried all the new DC titles. briefly. Now they're down to like, five.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

I said at some point I'd make it my monthly chat thread gimmick to tie in every post I made to a random X-Men character each month but even ignoring how tedious to read that would be, I also realized there's no good "random X-Men picker" tool I can find, or even a list of every X-Men in a simple list I can copy and paste anywhere so I guess this is me officially saying I'm not going to do that unless I can find that random X-Men picker.

Do Gambit.

Every month.

In every thread.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I don't want to be Americentric, but I've never seen a newstand in my life. I mean, it's probably different in places like New York, but newspapers are a dying industry as it is anyaway. As far as I'm aware supermarkets still sell some comics, though, like Archie and stuff-don't know about DC and the like.

Where do you live, and how old are you?

At least in the '80s and '90s, there used to be newsstands everywhere. I'm from the suburbs of Miami, and it seems like I spent half my childhood in libraries, new and used bookstores, comic shops, and newsstands. I remember buying my first-ever "grownup" comic book (Transformers #5) at a newsstand called The Front Page, and I must have bought hundreds of comics there and another place called Ted's News, which expanded its comic selection during the boom of the early '90s. If there was a new #1 issue, a big event, or a gimmick cover, they had it, and I tried to get it.

I miss newsstands, but they're still relatively recent history.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where do you live, and how old are you?

19, and I live in a relatively small town in a lovely state, but I've been to much bigger cities a lot and still never saw one first hand. I've always felt towards newstands like how I imagine today's young kids now feel about rental stores(I used to love Movie Gallery...always wanted to work at one...).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Although my other chatthread commitment of reading one backlogged TPB I own a month worked out. Harbinger Vol 1 was pretty good. It's the first volume of a series and is mostly doing setup so it's hard to have too many strong feelings, but I'd totally check out Vol 2 once I have time/have cut down on my existing backlog. Still gotta pick a book for next month.

I will do it

me

I can be the picker

and this month
your character

is Buford Wilson
aka

Beef

Beef

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WickedHate posted:

If you've ever been in a subway system, the modern version of newstands are those little kiosks where they sell papers, magazines and snacks. Also the racks of magazines at bookstores.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WickedHate posted:

Do Gambit.

Every month.

In every thread.

My first, last, and only post of February would be an autobanned thread with a title of "gently caress Gambit" :colbert:

(for real, he's not the worst X-Person or nothing, and I have read good books with him in them like X-23 and All-New X-Factor. It's just that generally the good stuff I've seen with him seem to just make up new personalities for him on the fly and don't really try to stay within Gambit cannons)

Squizzle posted:

I will do it

me

I can be the picker

and this month
your character

is Buford Wilson
aka

Beef

Beef

Do you just have a list of obscure X-Men on hand for times like these, or did it just come from the top of your head? Either way, even if I don't do a gimmick, I'll at least make sure your effort wasn't in vain and read at least 1 series that features Beef prominently :v:.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know whether to be more surprised someone named a character after an old country song I haven't heard since I was a kid, or that Beef actually has a Wikipedia page.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WickedHate posted:

Do Gambit.

Every month.

In every thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Rare footage of Wickedhate irl:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Have fun with your dusty dead trees while I'm jacking in to the hottest cyber raves this side of the telenet. :psylon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

If you've ever been in a subway system, the modern version of newstands are those little kiosks where they sell papers, magazines and snacks. Also the racks of magazines at bookstores.
Even this depends on the subway system. The DC Metro doesn't have anything inside the system (eating and drinking is actually illegal within the system), and my limited use of the Chicago L was similar from what I recall.

Anyway, to answer D_T's question: in the US, monthly comics moved away from news stands (which I'm using as a generic term for "places magazines are sold") and into comics shops in the 90s as Diamond solidified their distribution monopoly (by acquiring the #2 distributor and Marvel attempting to self-distribute by acquiring what became Heroes World, which failed). Because Diamond distributes on a non-returnable basis for most things, it doesn't work with how traditional magazine retailers work, which is with returnable magazines (I believe they get something like 70% of the purchase cost back, but I could be wrong). As such, comics publishers would need to get a secondary distributor for their non-direct market sales, and offer them in a very different way than they've been doing for a couple decades. While I'm sure it's possible for comics to make their return to news stands, I doubt the publishers are really in any hurry to do it.

WickedHate posted:

Have fun with your dusty dead trees while I'm jacking in to the hottest cyber raves this side of the telenet. :psylon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Anyway robots are better than mummies or werewolves on any day of the week.

or have we left that topic behind

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno man, Red Tornado and Original Flavor Machine Man are pretty horribly boring. Even the lamest mummy is cooler than them.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEb4I5y93uA

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One of the many reasons I love Hackers is that none of the technobabble is wrong, but it's almost always irrelevant. So instead of throwing nonsense words around or getting the jargon wrong, they do it exactly right, but in service of describing a really good monitor and then acting like monitors increase processing power or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CapnAndy posted:

One of the many reasons I love Hackers is that none of the technobabble is wrong, but it's almost always irrelevant. So instead of throwing nonsense words around or getting the jargon wrong, they do it exactly right, but in service of describing a really good monitor and then acting like monitors increase processing power or something.

This clip makes me crack up every time I see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ4ZJk4lLEI

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I just bought that TMNT bundle that Comixology has on sale. Tell me that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man, Red Tornado and Original Flavor Machine Man are pretty horribly boring. Even the lamest mummy is cooler than them.
It's really not fair to pick the lamest part of a category for your argument.

Anyway, I think March should be robot month.

Hackers rules so much.

• Locked thread