Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

You jerks are making me nostalgic for Hackers and I didn't even like the movie the first time around.
Speaking about crappy 90's movies, any other guilty pleasures for folks here from stuff from the 90's? I am still partial to Spawn myself.

I used to rewatch/go frame-by-frame through the 200-pixel-wide quicktime trailer that took me forever to download because the internet was terrible in 1996. I dug that cape and its doc-ock chains, man.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

How is 'The Private Eye'? Is buying the HC worth it? That creative team is like whoa.

I thought it was boring. :shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

So this years Angouleme festival has been total failure. First the festival got a ton of poo poo for not nominating any women for the Angouleme Grand Prix. Then the director of the festival, Franck Bondoux, decided it would be fun joke to announce the wrong people as winners during the awards presentation. Olivier Schrauwen for example was announced as the winner of the Fauve d’Or which is a really big deal, he got on the stage and was even handed the award before the host said that it was just a joke.

I just read the details on ComicsAlliance, and boy howdy, that was all incredibly stupid. And then blaming Twitter for everything, sure!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Now I just want to replay Grim Fandango.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Someone once described Star Trek as "serious sci fi" to me.
I think a lot of the draw of Star Trek (any incarnation) is that there is a pretty wide net of story types--you have your pulpy fun episodes (i.e., is Kirk punching somebody/somelizard?), you have your more serious episodes (hello, The Inner Light), and you also have episodes where the entire crew turns into giant spiders and salamanders. Sometimes the Enterprise blows up 10 times. Sometimes it's about Spock and his quest to reunite to empires who have been at odds for decades. To blanket statement it all as "serious sci-fi" is very dumb, as I don't think it ever tried to always be that in the first place.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Anybody here read Conqueror of the Barren Earth? It's on old DC 4 issue mini. The first issue, it's the future, a spaceship is sent out to rediscover Earth. It gets attacked by aliens, gets blowed up, the single survivor is a short haired blonde lady who allies with a couple tribes and decides to unite the Earth against the aliens. It ends on a cliff hanger with her captured by this barbarian warlord. I read it, and was like, holy poo poo, this owns. Why did this not go anywhere? The really need to bring back Conqueror of the Barren Earth!

Second issue. The barbarian demands the blonde lady be his bride, she tries to kill him, so he makes her his slave. Makes her walk along the mounted tribe, makes her wear a sexy harem lady outfit, etc. ends with her proclaiming her love for him and begging to be his bride. Not even a wink to the audience or a "I need him to think he's broken me" thought bubble.

So I guess that's why nobody talks about it, no one read past the second issue
I've heard of it!

(collects all the Warlord backups and the 4-issue mini that closes the story out)

Don't worry, she completely shivs his rear end in the last issue and it's pretty great when it happens.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the one written by John Byrne? Yeahhhh.
There might be more issues of that series not written/illustrated by Byrne. I want to say he was only involved in just under half of them?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

John Byrne is a creepy pedophile

Okay.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Are you saying he's not?

Creepy, sure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

I would direct your attention to Simonson's run. Only read two issues of that one as well (podcast homework in both cases, hence the small sample size,) but it was pretty drat good comics.
It's my favorite run after Hickman's.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Bacon isn't worth eating unless it's Benton's Bacon, the best Bacon in these United States.

SynthOrange posted:

I'll take the butt and boob gem.
Where can I find me some Infinity Gams?! You know, some legs that go til' Easter!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think that may have been the best bacon I've ever had, come to think of it. I had it on a burger in Knoxville at the Stock and Barrel, with pimento cheese and bourbon-caramelized onions.
Man, that's a good burger. I try to get a different bourbon every time I go since their selection is absolutely ridiculous.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

does that mean if I get Wolverine regeneration my hair will have to be the same hair Wolverine has and if I try to cut it it just grows back?
As someone whose hair is not as lush and luxurious as it used to be, I would be quite happy to get a full HAIR +50 boost.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

How bad is y'all's comic backlog right now? Mine is terrible, I'm never going to catch up.

One million years.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

I still haven't ever played Chrono Trigger. I'll never play all the games. I'll never see all the movies. I'll never read all the comics. :negative:

I thought all the Infinity Gems would be about equal when you were talking about it earlier but I definitely would like one Time gem please.
I skipped an entire day of college classes one day due to Chrono Trigger. Had never heard of it, plugged the rom into ZSNES one morning before class and didn't leave my room for the rest of the day. Totally worth it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I wonder who's read the most comics ever. Fan or industry person?
Mark Waid

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Yeah he's super bitter about comics and it's just getting worse with old age.
Well, it was only a matter of time before a comic creator got weird later in life.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hi liter posted:

Question for the collectors in the thread: I picked up a copy of Suicide Squad #1 from 1987 at a flea market a year ago. The book is in pretty good shape as far as I can tell (a few small tears and folds) and I'm curious about its value as I have seen online that its going for pretty decent money. Can anyone here recommend a reputable dealer in the San Francisco Bay Are where I could get my book's value appraised? I'm not sure if I want to sell it or not, I'm mostly just curious.
It's honestly worth whatever you can get some poor schmuck to pay for it on ebay.

Selling prices will be inflated across the board now because of the movie, but next year you'll be finding it for pocket change just like before.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Well the first interquel is the story of the dudes who stole the Death Star plans, so I think you're getting your heist movie at least.
Ummmm I was reliably informed that a dashing gent by the name of Kyle Katarn single-handedly stole them with only a blaster and old fashioned pluck.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Maybe it has just become a routine for him, and he would be shocked if you actually gave him a discount.

Yeah, you definitely need to give it to him one time and play it as if it's no thing. But then never again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Seriously? I thought it was people who were teenagers in the 00's. I mean poo poo, I was born in '79 so I barely avoided this obnoxious label?

Hi-five fellow '79-er!

Care to join me for Senior Dinner at 4pm?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Bob Evans as usual?

As long as there's some banana pudding for dessert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

sup thread

I know absolutely nothing about comics. When I turned eight (or nine or ten, goddamn I wish this had a date) I went to see a movie with friends and afterward spent a few minutes in a comic book shop. There was an artist there and my two friends and I got to name our favorite superhero and he drew drew them. They chose Wolverine and Spiderman but they're lame as gently caress

Anyone recognize the signature? Was this an actual artist or some schmuck who could draw well? Estimated year was 1992-1994.

Looks like Art Nichols to me. Fairly regularly-used inker and sometimes penciller. Did some covers of DC's The Ray with Joe Quesada.

edit: Yup. Zoom in on the front cover to see the matching autograph. (you may have to scroll down to get to the original listing)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread