Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I said at some point I'd make it my monthly chat thread gimmick to tie in every post I made to a random X-Men character each month but even ignoring how tedious to read that would be, I also realized there's no good "random X-Men picker" tool I can find, or even a list of every X-Men in a simple list I can copy and paste anywhere so I guess this is me officially saying I'm not going to do that unless I can find that random X-Men picker.

Although my other chatthread commitment of reading one backlogged TPB I own a month worked out. Harbinger Vol 1 was pretty good. It's the first volume of a series and is mostly doing setup so it's hard to have too many strong feelings, but I'd totally check out Vol 2 once I have time/have cut down on my existing backlog. Still gotta pick a book for next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Do Gambit.

Every month.

In every thread.

My first, last, and only post of February would be an autobanned thread with a title of "gently caress Gambit" :colbert:

(for real, he's not the worst X-Person or nothing, and I have read good books with him in them like X-23 and All-New X-Factor. It's just that generally the good stuff I've seen with him seem to just make up new personalities for him on the fly and don't really try to stay within Gambit cannons)

Squizzle posted:

I will do it

me

I can be the picker

and this month
your character

is Buford Wilson
aka

Beef

Beef

Do you just have a list of obscure X-Men on hand for times like these, or did it just come from the top of your head? Either way, even if I don't do a gimmick, I'll at least make sure your effort wasn't in vain and read at least 1 series that features Beef prominently :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Hey nerds, in addition to reading at least 1 series that includes Beef, I'm picking out a book in my TPB backlog to read for the month of February and thought y'all might help me pick which one to do this month.

My picks for Feb are:
1) Copperhead Vol 1

2) DMZ: On The Ground Vol 1

3) Star Wars: Darth Vader Vol 1

4) Burn all three books, start again.

Obviously if work/school is't too crazy this month I could easily have time for all of these but I'm picking one book that I will absolutely read at minimum.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks y'all for the help :buddy:. By the time the March thread goes up, I should have read Copperhead Vol 1, something with Beef, and if I got time DMZ Vol 1.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

With Lucifer the TV show being a police procedural I started wondering what it would be like if other critically acclaimed comics made the jump onto network TV. This is what I have come up with so far.

Get ready for more disappointment. The Hellfire pitch is basically Police_Procedural.txt

quote:

It’ll take place in the 1960s and will center on a young Special Agent who discovers that a very powerful woman with unexplainable abilities is actually a part of a big secret society of millionaires that have conspiratorial plans of taking over the world! (Is it just me, or are there no secret societies that are solely into cooperative sports or crocheting?) The group is called the Hellfire Club, and its members are as dangerous as they are influential.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/An-X-Men-Hellfire-TV-Series-Coming-Here-What-We-Know-92337.html

When I think of what I like about the Hellfire Club, I don't think about seeing a bunch of cool villains all try to run a school/secret society while trying to gently caress eachother over. I don't think about Emma Frost, Sebastian Shaw, or any of the other awesome characters. I don't think about the Hellions and the opportunity to see another group of mutant kids learn to use their powers.

I think of young Special Agent.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

The Hellfire Club show has already been scrapped.

Last I heard, it's still going on they just need new writers after theirs all left for 24. It's in bad health to be sure, but it's not officially scrapped yet.

Aphrodite posted:

That female character described is clearly Emma though, even if they don't end up calling her that.

True, but the pitch says she'd be the big bad of the series, and that our hero/the lead would be the cop investigating them. It'd still probably mean plenty of Emma but it'd still be at least half cop show.

E: Then again, with all new writers the new team would probably be free to pitch a not-abysmal idea.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

As a DC fanboy I don't want any gems. The Anti-Life equation is good enough for me.

edit: Though I will concede for Wolverine's healing factor, especially after a night of playing hockey.

As a DC fanboy, you're gonna need the Reality gem to fix what's wrong with current DC :colbert:.

Also regeneration is cool and all, but does your hair regenerate to a certain length too? I know X-23 has been burned to the point that she's bald and then within a scene or two regenerates her hair to full length, does that mean if I get Wolverine regeneration my hair will have to be the same hair Wolverine has and if I try to cut it it just grows back?

And what about finger nails, what if your powers decide that 6 inch nails is what your body's natural state for fingernails is? I'm just saying, there are downsides to Wolverine's powers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

NO!

He dies last.

Only once straight marriage is illegal, abortion is mandatory, state atheism is enforced, and America's Caliph is sworn in on the Satanist Quran in one hand and the Communist Manifesto in the other, will Pat Robertson finally be allowed to die, knowing that America's pact with Satan is irreversible.

Or when his 85 year old heart gives out, whichever one comes first.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I have a couple hardcover books so I'm part of the comics wealthy elite. Bow before my hardcover X-23 vol 1 and Alpha Flight, scrubs.

Or don't, that's cool too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

One of my desk's legs gave up last week and I decided to have a bit of fun replacing the leg, so I bought and stacked every volume of Astonishing X-Men under the former leg. Twice.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Better use than reading Jorts Wheldon comics, I agree.

I felt bad using the Marjorie Liu, Christeros Gage, and Warren Ellis volumes for this so I'm slowly swapping them out with volumes of Buffy.

(I don't actually dislike Jazz Weston that much, but he is definitely a writer that I find very easy to get frustrated with when he does gently caress up)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Imagine a more social justice oriented Punisher, except it's hipster chick from Portland mad that her equally hipster boyfriend got shot by cops.

That actually sounds amazing... Was that supposed to be the reason Scarlet is terrible? :ohdear:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I have this dude, comes in every Wednesday, every single week, picks books up off the shelf and tries to dictate his own prices. He'll bring the stack up, ask how much it is and promptly off half price. We have never given him a deal but he keeps trying going on three years now.

Does he end up buying them at full price, or does he just show up every week just to fail to buy comicbooks?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I didn't want to say this in the funny pictures thread and ruin their fun but man Squirrel Girl is the comic book version of those YouTube videos where a quirky white girl plays a ukulele cover of a metal song or gangsta rap.

I was just thinking the same thing, except in my mind the voice saying this sounds much dopier and dumb.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

I'm glad people like Squirrel Girl. I don't want to put people down for liking it. Just had to get that off my chest.

As long as I'm here, Deadpool is like the comic book version of Old GBS.

This opinion is acceptable, you're cool in my book.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

attn DrProsek

Looking at Beef on Comicvine, has he genuinely been in way more stuff after he died than before? I've read New Mutants and X-Force and I think I've read most of Beef's appearances and it has all been Necrosha stuff.

(No, I didn't totally forget that I added "something with Beef in it" to my reading list, why do you ask :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Love the /co/ belief that nobody likes anything but meat n potatoes superhero books, so anything else is ☆fake pseudo activism☆

Similarly I see people lament why DC is bothering to try to pick up new readers when the core meat n potatoes group are the only people who buy comics.

Good point, I guess nobody buys Marvel comics. After all, if I'm not buying a comic, there is no way anybody else is reading it despite sales numbers.

(In fairness going for the core audience would be better for DC than the DCYou middle ground where neither new nor core readers are buying DC in impressive numbers, but there is no form of media that survives with a model of "stop getting new folks, pray current fans live forever and never tire from our comics)

• Locked thread