Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I've been reading some comments on BC about retailers reacting at the idea of Wal-Mart having a Graphic Novel section and it got me curious, it would be too difficult for comics to get again in newsstands and the like?

Here in Mexico the localized comics are sold everywhere, newsstands, supermarkets, departmental stores, only libraries don't carry comics. And so far, the market couldn't be more healthier. The selection of comics has gone beyond just Marvel and DC and now we have pretty much every relevant title from small companies like IDW, Image, Dynamite and I think even Zenescope managed to land some titles here.

The publisher handling both DC and Marvel has brought variant covers (even a set exclusive for us), every month publishes TPBs and Hardcovers ranging from editing classic stories never published here before (Sandman, Moore's Swamp Thing), to hugely popular stories (Batman Year One, Death of Superman, Maximum Carnage) to full recent events (Court of Owls, Doomed) And while we don't get every title launched in the US -only the most popular ones- we haven't had nothing like this since forever.

It would be possible for the industry to find new life returning to its mainstream roots or is Mexico's situation an anomaly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So after talking praises of the mexican comic industry yesterday, I find that the oldest comic book store in the country (as in one of the few that import their product directly from Diamond) has decided to stop selling the local versions of the comics because is simply not profitable for them. But the reasons the owner gives for it, well, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Here are they, translation is mine.

quote:

1. Cover price are, without exception too low. It seemingly they have so little confidence in their product that they're bent on selling them at the lower price possible in hopes of the reader will buy them and reduce returnings. That's not how comics work. If the story and the art aren't good, the comic won't sell no matter how low is the price. They shouldn't make everyone lose their time and money by publishing low quality comics even if the license is so cheap that is pretty much a steal. All the contrary, they should publish comics of good quality and highly demanded by the public, with a good MRSP so the profits can be shared among everyone involved in the distribution: Editorial-> Distribution->Stores->Collectors. That they don't see things this way is truly a shame because paper and printing quality on national comics generally are better than in the original editions.

2. They don't respect distribution channels. For all the mexican editorials, no exceptions, they sell directly to the public (and at discount!) without realizing that they're diminishing the market for their comics. Distributors will receive bigger returns and stores like us get distorted volume and demand, making impossible to reliably determinate the orders for the next issues. We aren't against editorials being part of local conventions, but if they do it, it should just for promotion and absolutely never to sell their product. An editorial will never have a constant presence with its readers like us comic stores have with our clients that come every week, every month to us. They should follow the example of american editorials like DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and Image that never sell directly to the public and every edition, even exclusive variants, they're always channeled through Diamond, the only comic distribuitor that exists.

Some clarification is in order. Saying that they're trying all kinds of comics with no real criteria is misleading, the criteria are simply popularity and demand. Take for example DC, the books they publish are GL, WW, Flash, Aquaman, JL and "digest" editions for Batman (that includes both Batman and Detective Comics) and Superman (usually Superman/Action Comics but lately they've put two Superman issues a once). From here there a few other books that are more or less fan demanded: Harley Quinn (Formerly Batman/Superman), Earth 2 (formerly JLA) and Batman Eternal (the only weekly book).

All the books took the start of the N52 as starting point and there's roughly ten months of dlay between the original publication of the books with the date we got them, we're just hitting Convergence this month. Quality of the comic aside, all of those books are DC's heavy hitters and the ones with the biggest fanbase around, making them kind of a safe bet for the publisher.

Now, when editorials go to conventions they carry most of their stock there and yeah, they sell them either at discount or offering incentives, like promotional items or the chance to get new books in advance before they get wide release.

I dunno, from my perspective as consummer the current direction of the market is fantastic and this guy is just butthurt about not being able to jack up the prices at his leisure as is the norm with the imported books but maybe he does have the reason.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can you post some covers for your local editions? I saw some French DC digests a little while ago and they looked awesome.

\/ Yeah. I meant the bundled monthlies. The French N52 Batman one I saw had a really unique, clean trade dress with dope logo. I'll see if I can find it again when I'm home.

Is nothing fancy I'm afraid, they're just pick the cover for the main title (Batman and Superman) with the cover for theother title being included in the inside

They did had a special set of variants during november though

• Locked thread