Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A well known rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Savage Dragon has always seemed too dumb & juvenile to me, and that doesn't help.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's pretty basic children's playground wordplay, but I'm more secondhand embarassed by the "wha-oh, shame on me, I'm just now realizing my goofy mistake" part honestly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't want to be Americentric, but I've never seen a newstand in my life. I mean, it's probably different in places like New York, but newspapers are a dying industry as it is anyaway. As far as I'm aware supermarkets still sell some comics, though, like Archie and stuff-don't know about DC and the like.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

I said at some point I'd make it my monthly chat thread gimmick to tie in every post I made to a random X-Men character each month but even ignoring how tedious to read that would be, I also realized there's no good "random X-Men picker" tool I can find, or even a list of every X-Men in a simple list I can copy and paste anywhere so I guess this is me officially saying I'm not going to do that unless I can find that random X-Men picker.

Do Gambit.

Every month.

In every thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where do you live, and how old are you?

19, and I live in a relatively small town in a lovely state, but I've been to much bigger cities a lot and still never saw one first hand. I've always felt towards newstands like how I imagine today's young kids now feel about rental stores(I used to love Movie Gallery...always wanted to work at one...).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know whether to be more surprised someone named a character after an old country song I haven't heard since I was a kid, or that Beef actually has a Wikipedia page.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Have fun with your dusty dead trees while I'm jacking in to the hottest cyber raves this side of the telenet. :psylon:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

this is the cover, I should have known better but I am dumb

its about these characters going to a gay pride parade. There's a bunch of animal people sex in it.

Do they whine about the Grateful Dead too?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All I want in life is to someday write a cyberpunk novel that takes place in the year 3033 and have a character exclaim "drat it, this is no time for jokes, an entire gigabyte of information are at stake!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

:blush: Thanks for saying so.

Squizzle is right. People hate on you constantly and I don't get it, man. You're cool, I like you too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Someone once described Star Trek as "serious sci fi" to me.

To be fair to Star Trek, the people who made those comics literally never saw the show(which is why Spock is wearing red).

But to be fair to Gold Key, the Original Series was terrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The same reason bronies insist MLP is for "everyone". People are insecure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As did James Bond Jr.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
According to the intro, "he learned the game from his uncle James and now he's heir to the name". Maybe he's really a nephew but his name was like, Clark Bond until he was mentored by his uncle and took James Bond Jr. as a codename.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

Show of hands - who learned new words/phrases because of comics? poo poo you didn't get from Sesame Street and by the time you got to high school and they tossed that vocabulary lesson you're way you were like "hey, I read this in Amazing Spiderman when I was 9".

My dad taught himself to read entirely from comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

I learned that you can't read in dreams because of Batman.

A really odd oversight on the Mad Hatter's part.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quickpulse would actually be a kickass name for a superhero. I've gotta steal that someday.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Huh. Weird that came a decade before Red Hood.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What shocks me is that it apparently hatched from another egg, like some kind of racist Chinese matryoshka doll.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Like you weren't born from a slightly larger person.

...Touche.

Madkal posted:

In sure given the chance Morrison would make then pivotal characters in Final Crisis 2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When her hair is short, my sister looks exactly like Squirrel Girl's new look. I've always wanted to get the latest series for her, but it's got so many superhero in jokes, I'm not sure it's very accessible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I should probably read the first couple of issues again, it's been ages and my memory is terrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Given the choice, what two Infinity Gems would you want to control?

Either Power and Mind or Soul, or Mind and Soul. The ability to control everyone else is the important part but Power's...power would be nice too.

Reality would be cool but I figure if Power lets you have basically any superpower anyway, it's a bit redundant.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
John Byrne is a creepy pedophile who got lucky with a pretty good Superman run and inventing corrupt CEO Lex. He's a pretty good artist but nearly everything written by him is so bad. I actually had high hopes for his Fantastic Four run and was really disappointed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just want the powers of Purple Man without the weaknesses. Phenomenal cosmic powers, incredibly petty use.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My planet would be nicer than Apokolips. Less fire pits, more fresh air.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Twilight Zone rules state that if you become immortal you're eventually going to fall down an abandoned mine shaft or be on a boat that sinks to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Reality can do "anything" but it's supposedly really, really hard to comprehend how to use it without having the mind gem, and its scope is relatively limited without the power gem to fuel it. But yes, it's by far the most powerful of the gems.

So having the reality gem without either of those is like being Firestorm without the smart guy telling you the chemical formulas.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

The Reality and Power gems don't, as far as I know, have any sensory aspect. Space, Time, Mind, and Soul each give you some ability to understand and study the thing that the gem able to affect. (Maybe Power gives some sort of energy-sense?) Reality on its own makes for a great monkey's paw, if you're not careful.

Plus, the Reality Gem alters reality directly. Want something? Want the world to be something? It's done. Over the long term, that seems like it would get p. unsatisfying. There's no challenge, delayed gratification, or possibility of not getting what you want. And since it's a non-sensory gem, you can't try to assuage your boredom by chillaxing and studying things for a while, until you get some new ideas.

You could reality up all the weed you wanted, though. Who needs the time gem when the reality gem can make it 4:20 forever?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pfft, why would I need to do that, I'm already perfect and supremely wise. Other people's minds would drag me down. :smugdog:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I think the gems mostly just do what needs to happen for the narrative, so I want whichever one most people think is the worst, because it's a great narrative when that person triumphs over everyone else.

Great, yet another wrestling derail.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Do you honestly think wrestling invented the concept of an underdog?

Right, forgot this was SA, etc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

I liked the joke.

I like you! :3:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think right now all I have is the Dredd I'm going through, although sometimes I forget what day it is and end up behind on current releases.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Probably my favourite Multiversity behind Pax Americana and Thunderworld.

I need this ongoing yesterday DC. :allears:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, Dan Garret was the coolest. I wish someone'd do something interesting with him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cavewomen are the coolest. Ayla is the best Chrono Trigger party member.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Surely thou japes.

Frog was just a nerd. I mean, I get why you'd relate to him, but as I said, cavewomen are the coolest, and being cool is my scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

If he's such a nerd, how come he was able to nab the queen despite being a frog man in that one ending?

Maybe she just has a giant frog fetish. If you have a giant frog fetish and the only giant frog around happens to be a massive nerd, them's the brakes. Don't kinkshame the queen, man.

• Locked thread