Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

If you've ever been in a subway system, the modern version of newstands are those little kiosks where they sell papers, magazines and snacks. Also the racks of magazines at bookstores.
Even this depends on the subway system. The DC Metro doesn't have anything inside the system (eating and drinking is actually illegal within the system), and my limited use of the Chicago L was similar from what I recall.

Anyway, to answer D_T's question: in the US, monthly comics moved away from news stands (which I'm using as a generic term for "places magazines are sold") and into comics shops in the 90s as Diamond solidified their distribution monopoly (by acquiring the #2 distributor and Marvel attempting to self-distribute by acquiring what became Heroes World, which failed). Because Diamond distributes on a non-returnable basis for most things, it doesn't work with how traditional magazine retailers work, which is with returnable magazines (I believe they get something like 70% of the purchase cost back, but I could be wrong). As such, comics publishers would need to get a secondary distributor for their non-direct market sales, and offer them in a very different way than they've been doing for a couple decades. While I'm sure it's possible for comics to make their return to news stands, I doubt the publishers are really in any hurry to do it.

WickedHate posted:

Have fun with your dusty dead trees while I'm jacking in to the hottest cyber raves this side of the telenet. :psylon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man, Red Tornado and Original Flavor Machine Man are pretty horribly boring. Even the lamest mummy is cooler than them.
It's really not fair to pick the lamest part of a category for your argument.

Anyway, I think March should be robot month.

Hackers rules so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Hackers is on Netflix and a great movie to watch with friends at any time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

Oh Trades. Hmm. The way I have the trades lined up is fine for a reading order

Volume 1, Volume 2, Hero Micros 1, Volume 3, Hero Micros 2, Volume 4, Volume 5, Secret History, Villains Micro 1, Volume 6, Villains Micro 2, Volume 7, Volume 8, Utrom Empire

Now that I think about it - since comixology is a digital platform why didn't they bundle it in reading order? Typing that out made it look a whole lot more daunting than it is.

Comixology just bundles digital trades the same way physical trades are printed. I don't think they really have any say in it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been reading Marvel's Miracleman reprints, and I really like that "kiddin" is a swear word. It's a cool little detail.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I want to buy Incognegro but I don't want to be seen reading something called Incognegro.
So don't read it outside your home.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bacon is very good, but the fetishization of it is very strange.

If I had the Infinity Gauntlet, I would make Powerpoint never exist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But without Powerpoint, everyone would use Google Slides, or... Prezi... *shudder* Let us not go down that road.

No, all slide-based presentations would be gone.

Truly a change to reality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Current stuff? A couple weeks, maybe? Trades and such? I still have books from BSSSS 2014 I haven't touched. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Vandal Savage is an immortal caveman along with Armstrong and Eternal Warrior in Valiant.
Don't forget Gilad's brothers Armstrong and Ivar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mark Waid? Dude's an encyclopedia.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do seem to recall that there was a "Stump Mark Waid" panel at a convention and someone started to ask a question about Rom and he just said he doesn't know anything about Rom.

Fake edit: I just looked up the panel report and not only did that happen, but he also said he hadn't read any of the New 52 books (this was in 2012, so maybe that has changed).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok is probably smart enough to have not played EX games.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have it on good authority that Sonic isn't supposed to have blue arms. You should boycott that comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Cannonball Run's Speed Force Field make him nigh invulnerable when he's runnin'?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Honestly, we really do all need to unite and kill the boomers.

YES.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As someone who had Jeb as his governor and has Jeb's signature on his degree, the less I hear from Jeb, the better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The end of Gen X/start of Millenials is still fuzzy, but it's generally considered somewhere around 1980-83. Different groups have it ending anywhere from 1996-ongoing.

It'll be a bit more clear in another decade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Wait, I was born in 1982, that makes me a millenial? Nooooooooo I don't wanna have to snapchat the vines

Maybe you should try Tout!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I met my college roommates (post-dorm life) on a forum. They were super cool and we're still friends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

K so how do you explain Gen X still being gen X?

This is real stupid and makes zero sense.

Because Generation X was a specific name given to that generation and not a placeholder. Generation Y was a placeholder and comes off as a post-script to Gen X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squirrel Girl is good and cool.

• Locked thread