Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

I don't want to be Americentric, but I've never seen a newstand in my life. I mean, it's probably different in places like New York, but newspapers are a dying industry as it is anyaway. As far as I'm aware supermarkets still sell some comics, though, like Archie and stuff-don't know about DC and the like.

Rare footage of Wickedhate irl:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno man, Red Tornado and Original Flavor Machine Man are pretty horribly boring. Even the lamest mummy is cooler than them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Toronto Game Jam has a tradition of showing Hackers on the last night. Unfortunately I always skip it because I am busy making a drat game or sleeping my rear end off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought Usagi Yojimbo made comic goons realize that having an animal person in a comic wasn't a war crime. Did I time travel to like 2003?

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

this is the cover, I should have known better but I am dumb

its about these characters going to a gay pride parade. There's a bunch of animal people sex in it.

This is absolutely a war crime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I want to buy Incognegro but I don't want to be seen reading something called Incognegro.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"I don't know if I should be seen reading a comic about *lowers voice to a whisper* black people"

I was going to respond seriously to you but instead I'm going to do the jerkoff motion in your general direction and call you a stupid cockhead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Lurdiak is a super thoughtful guy and I think that's commendable.

:blush: Thanks for saying so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Lurdiak Canadian?

What are you afraid of, it's not like the book is about Native Americans.

We have black people and racism here too.

Vincent posted:

Grayson is a pretty fun comic book. I like the running joke about his butt.

It's nice to see comics catch up to the fan jokes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Montreal has a lot of Haitian and ex-french-colony African immigrants, to the point that in the Quebec version of the Simpsons, Carl has an African accent implying that he's an immigrant.

That's not really a racism thing but I think it's kinda interesting anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hup posted:

How did they handle Carl being an Icelander (albeit adopted)?

I'd have to look that up, because I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in like 8 years. I think the show might've abandoned the pretense of not being set in the US at some point.

The guy who voices Quebec Mr. Burns was my friend's teacher, he loves doing that voice in lectures.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Science fiction:

Someone once described Star Trek as "serious sci fi" to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't know why people are afraid of admitting their favorite space show is pulp.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By far the stupidest Star Trek episodes were the one where there's a planet that has its own united states constitution and US flag, and the one where a bunch of romans find jesus.

Oh and the one that's just the taming of the shrew.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hup posted:

This reminded me that yesterday I saw an SVU episode open with Goldberg as an angry single dad rampaging through the precinct on PCP

One of the highlights of the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

One kind of skeezy thing the Marvel Heroes developers did was exploit a loophole in Metacritic. They changed the game's name and were able to get it re-rated as if it was a new release, thus ignoring any older reviews.

Considering metacritic isn't really equipped to deal with games that evolve as much as diablo-likes or MMOs, that's fine. A review of vanilla world of warcraft literally has no meaning today.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Given the choice, what two Infinity Gems would you want to control?

Reality and Power. That's really all you need.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

I read some issues of that old Sensational She-Hulk comic. It wasn't very good.

You mean the one written by John Byrne? Yeahhhh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are you saying he's not?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CEO Lex is just slim Kingpin anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I couldn't even make it past issue one of John Byrne's Thing ongoing. It's soooooo bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wickedhate is Darkseid, pass it on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolverine's got retarded aging and can barely get hangovers, and most importantly his injuries heal. All of them. Nothing is more horrible than still feeling pain from a 10 year old injury, and Wolverine never has to deal with that. That's the real superpower.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, his entire character is a surly dick because he hasn't dealt with any emotional pain in the hundred plus years he's been loving up his own life, but yeah - no bung knee.

You can't blame that on his powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I pretty much imagine everyone who lives centuries rather than decades actually will inevitably build up that much emotional baggage.

Guy was hosed in the head at 14.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I don't know much about the Infinity gems but like, is there a point to any of them besides Reality? Like, after you can bend reality to your whim, that's the whole ball game there.

If I have to pick two, I guess that and Time. Power seems redundant, Mind seems lackluster, and Soul's a joke.

Reality can do "anything" but it's supposedly really, really hard to comprehend how to use it without having the mind gem, and its scope is relatively limited without the power gem to fuel it. But yes, it's by far the most powerful of the gems.

E: Whoops double post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

The Reality and Power gems don't, as far as I know, have any sensory aspect. Space, Time, Mind, and Soul each give you some ability to understand and study the thing that the gem able to affect. (Maybe Power gives some sort of energy-sense?) Reality on its own makes for a great monkey's paw, if you're not careful.

Plus, the Reality Gem alters reality directly. Want something? Want the world to be something? It's done. Over the long term, that seems like it would get p. unsatisfying. There's no challenge, delayed gratification, or possibility of not getting what you want. And since it's a non-sensory gem, you can't try to assuage your boredom by chillaxing and studying things for a while, until you get some new ideas.

If you gave me one use of any of the gems, though, I'd probably pick Reality.

Having the gauntlet would get mad boring too, Thanos had to depower himself to make fighting all his greatest enemies at the same time even slightly challenging. And while several of the gems expand your perceptions, they clearly don't confer any wisdom.

When The Magus had the gauntlet, he described the reality gem as "too much to even focus on right now", which is kinda nuts considering he was busy sending Adam Warlock's atoms through time and space to torture him while he was thinking that.

The power gem is kind of great because any stupid rear end in a top hat can use it by just hanging onto it and punching poo poo.

WickedHate posted:

So having the reality gem without either of those is like being Firestorm without the smart guy telling you the chemical formulas.

Yayyy, analogies!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

It kinda just made Adam Warlock insane.

Squizzle posted:

If you had the whole gauntlet, you could use the four sensory gems to crowdsource wisdom from everyone who had ever lived. Add the Reality Gem, and you could conference in every possible version of every possible person.

Right, but it wouldn't confer the humility to think you need to do that.

WickedHate posted:

Pfft, why would I need to do that, I'm already perfect and supremely wise. Other people's minds would drag me down. :smugdog:

See? Totally what Dr. Doom would say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If I had the gauntlet I'd make myself immortal, cure my IBS, win the lottery, and put it in my freezer in case of emergencies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got free bacon and cheese sausages(???) with my groceries this week and they're pretty drat good but i feel like enjoying these is going to make me turn into the kind of person that idolizes epic meal time and the meatship.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

How bad is y'all's comic backlog right now? Mine is terrible, I'm never going to catch up.

I've been reading a lot of old-rear end comics, so I'm pretty behind on most modern ones. I'm several issues behind on Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Deadpool, haven't even read any Spider-man 2099, etc.

Lightning Lord posted:

I too worry that eating a meal will affect my taste in entertainment, and plan my life around this and actively angst about it.

You're really bad at getting jokes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Watcher seems pretty down to earth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

And he's dead. Although they might have brought him back seeing as how they did absolutely nothing with the whole "being dead" thing.

He's died before, he'll be fiiiiine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He came back as some kind of zombie one time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kull was voiced by Michael Dorn in the Brave and the Bold and it was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Cavewomen are the coolest. Ayla is the best Chrono Trigger party member.

Surely thou japes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Frog was just a nerd. I mean, I get why you'd relate to him, but as I said, cavewomen are the coolest, and being cool is my scene.

If he's such a nerd, how come he was able to nab the queen despite being a frog man in that one ending?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Definitely some unemployed weirdo living in a basement with access to a good tracker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

I just conducted a pretty powerful exorcism in the dolls thread, and I must have more swole magic than I thought, because it moved at the speed of wizard (much faster than the speed of time) and as a side effect managed to annihilate whatever foul energies were still animating Justice Scalia, somewhat earlier today.

I just don't know what to do with all of this newfound power.

Check you're pms.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Because I was apparently smart and loaded up on Deadpool poo poo we did $1700 just in Deadpool sales today.

Make money money money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You were lied to.

• Locked thread