Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It took me a few tries to get this recording to come out mostly the way I wanted it - there are always tiny mistakes, but I'm willing to overlook those. It's only when things go catastrophically wrong that I feel like I need to scrap everything and start over.

Part 5: Blount and Ooya's Magical Adventure Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Yes, I split the video just for a joke. The second half sees us defeat a mighty warrior with some of the tiniest implements ever. Unfortunately, Bizoo's voice is particularly annoying, but that's probably to be expected by now.

Part 5-2: The Shadow of Colossus Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At long last, we've reached our original destination - the palace of Queen Xina in Foliander. She's the one who hired Colossus to hurl rocks at passing ships, and she's got an evil-looking fountain of bitterness in her throne room. What could be the reason for her antagonistic attitude? Is she being manipulated? And why does Wolfy seem to find that so appealing?

Part 6-1: "I'm never entirely sure when we're talking about a group of eight pixels." Polsy Youtube

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I was absolutely convinced I've played both Goblins 2 and 3 from start to finish until this moment, but either I failed to get past Colossus or this chapter is so horrible I've suppressed all memories of it. How far into the game are we? And on the scale of beginning of Goblins 3 to the cannon room in Goblins 1, how annoying are the remaining rooms?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There are actually quite a few stages left.
I don't remember if the game is getting harder, but it certainly gets more abstract.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
How disappointed will she be when the muscular and buff were-dude she's been making out with turns into a scrawny goblin?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
She saw him transform in the first place so unless horniness can induce short-term amnesia she shouldn't be too surprised by it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Lokapala posted:

I was absolutely convinced I've played both Goblins 2 and 3 from start to finish until this moment, but either I failed to get past Colossus or this chapter is so horrible I've suppressed all memories of it. How far into the game are we? And on the scale of beginning of Goblins 3 to the cannon room in Goblins 1, how annoying are the remaining rooms?

This session spans the throne rooms of Queen Xina and King Bodd. There's really not very much left of the game after this, but as for how annoying the rest is, I leave it to the video footage of the end of this session to answer that question. I really want The Splash to come back and finish the game, and she might not if I say any more.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We've made it to the throne room of King Bodd, the other head of state Blount has been wanting to interview since the start of the game. (I don't think the brief encounter where he had Blount executed earlier really counts for that purpose.) Here, the puzzles start to get a bit more absurd, and things in this particular playthrough start to go rather wrong. The series has been so good so far about making sure that you always have the items you need before letting you progress, in the rare cases when you can't go back for them. In this one case, probably due to a programming oversight, that doesn't quite work. Will we still be able to succeed, despite missing a critical item? Let's find out.

Part 6-2: "Should we shoot the kid?" Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, that's a mean little bug there. Good thing it only modified the message, rather than totally blocking access to the fountain.

And that roast looks delicious. both Blounds are way to picky eaters. That being said, a pure carnivorous diet is kinda weird.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, that's a mean little bug there. Good thing it only modified the message, rather than totally blocking access to the fountain.

I'm just going to leave this quote at the top of the update and post the video while taking a big sip of hot tea...

It's time to wrap things up and make both monarchs happy, at least as much as we can. Unfortunately for us, they've got other ideas, and we have a new mission now that we've scored the interviews we were after from the start. We've become an instrument of the rivalry between the two halves of the kingdom, which is unfortunate, since we have to satisfy both of them to get Wynnona back and restored to her former self. Will we even make it that far?

Part 6-3: "This is why you don't let QA do a Let's Play." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Nidoking, I love your nerdy references.
If anyone besides me is still watching this thread and doesn't know what he was talking about with regards to skulls, this is a pro click. Actually, gently caress it, click on that either way. It's a seven minute video and totally worth it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, there's no sense holding this up. The Splash isn't the only one who can have technical problems with this game, but in my case, I did everything in the right order and have no idea what happened. On the bright side, in this video, you can see the conversations that we missed in the guest video, perhaps shedding a tiny bit more light on what's going to happen in the next part of the game.

Part 6: Headgear and Footwear Polsy Youtube

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Chokies/Chokiels sound incredibly unsafe to eat. The French version had "Tchokos" which... doesn't mean anything either. Maybe they intended it to evoke "Chocos", a European cereal brand?

It also occurs to me that the CD version has some... interesting voiced dialogue for some of the cutscenes. Like the interviews:

This poo poo is hard to transcribe and translate posted:

Xyna's got some low-effort Frenchy latin:
Xyna: Collossus técrasibus labyrinthem > Collossus crushyou-ibus labyrinthem.
Blount: Eh belle ? Poumelgueul > Eh pretty ? something-face.
Xyna: Godasse mamie garou ami labyrinthelle mi morpionibus > Slang-for-a-shoe granny were(wolf?) friend labyrinthelle mi crabs-ibus (yes, those crabs)
Blount: Pas poulet pâtes ? Euh, papou, papette? > Not chicken pasta? Uh, Papuan, Panuanista?
Xyna: Mi pitit garirari glouglouglouglouglouglouglou > Mi smol garirari glub x7, or gobble x7, whichever works.

Bodd's may have a bit of an eating disorder???
Were-Blount: Pi pa pou que de pelripou > Pi pa pou what a ... shovelcrook?
Bodd: Ukulélé taboulé taboulé boie graquerrero oké ! > Ukulele tabbouleh tabbouleh (link) drink graquerrero okay!
Were-Blount: Pi pa pou, babaloumbatoum toum pim pam poum > Pi pa pou, babaloumbatoum toum bob's your uncle.
Bodd: Pas bon pas bon, boulissima bravoquerrero labyrinthatum > No good no good, extremely-plump bravoquerrero labyrinthatum.

It's about on par with what you'd expect a tired voice actor to say if only given the instruction "say random sounds into the microphone". Nier's Nouveau FR this is not.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2018

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It sounded like the interviews had bits of actual French mixed in, but nothing that made sense to me. Glad to know I was right (sort of) on both counts. Perhaps Blount, too, is worried about the fate of his ukulele without a thong to hang it on.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't see any point to making this part of the official playlist, but if anyone's been wondering what The Splash and I get up to before recording or just wanted something to show your friends to demonstrate our rapport without making them sit through an entire video, here's something I threw together. It shouldn't actually take three weeks to get the session posted, but this should help fill the gap.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, it's time to enter the fabled maze! Apparently, it's really important to both of the rulers of Foliander that we complete this test, but there's a very good reason that nobody's ever managed it before. Probably many reasons, only some of which will be evident early on. This is one of those puzzles that essentially gives you a shopping list of items to collect so you can return and solve the actual puzzle. Just like the alchemist's lab, actually! So it's probably appropriate that Blount's disembodied hands make a reappearance here. We'll be revisiting a lot of ideas from earlier in the game in the maze.

Part 7-1: "I think tiny books are the epitome. Just really obscenely tiny books are probably the most ridiculous things in existence." Polsy Youtube

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I remember these. Some of the puzzles were fun, some were clever, pretty much all of them were using a weird mix of reasonable logic and bizaro logic.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The adventure of the labyrinth continues, as The Splash starts to put the pieces together - literally, in some cases - and figure out what the purpose of the library is. There's a lot of reading involved, and also a fair bit of math. We also need to hide from the spider. It's hairy and has lots of legs.

Part 7-2: "If you tell me I can't shove a horse into things, the first thing I want to do is shove a horse into things." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's finally time to play the board game, now that we've finally collected all of the pieces. It's a strange game, and the rules aren't entirely clear, particularly since one of the most important moves you need to make doesn't even relate to what's on the board. It's also not clear why winning this game is the key to moving on in the wider game of Goblins 3, but that's the maze for you. Nothing makes sense. And it's only going to get worse.

Part 7-3: "Am I making this too exciting?" Polsy Youtube

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I don't think I'll ever understand how Gobliiiiiiiiiiiins can keep getting more bizzare the further you go.

And clearly I've been playing chess wrong this whole time, I want to end up in the mirror universe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The board game makes no sense, but the art is just so cozy. :3: You just need a fireplace and some cognac for a blissful evening of gaming.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sorry about the long wait for this video, but a lot has been going on. Among other things, I had surgery to get contact lenses implanted in my eyes so I can see without glasses, mostly. Text still gives me problems sometimes, and when my eyes get tired, I have to force them to focus on stuff. I also got really sick around the same time, so I wasn't in any condition to do much. Things at work got really hectic as well, but that's not a change. It's just a thing that happened. So with all that going on, it's nice to kick back at last and relax with some games. It's not quite as relaxing when you have no idea how to play the game, even with the rules right there, but we'll get by. The odd thing is that, while this part of the game throws what little logic the previous parts had out the window, it does contain the final screen where I didn't need to use a Joker when I played the game for the first time. I can't explain that.

Part 7: How about a messed-up game of chess? Polsy Youtube

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's kind of perverse, but I kind of like the weird shifting logic. It's got this odd charm and sense of eploration and discovery that I think comes from individual screens/puzzles/elements usually having their own weird internal consistency, but everything changing when you get to the next area and the player has to work out from scratch how things interact with each other again.

(Also glad to hear you are OK and I hope the lenses work out okay!)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Quick update to let everyone know that this isn't dead. We've just been having trouble scheduling the next recording session. I figured I'd better bump the thread before it gets locked, although I'm hoping I'll have a video ready before the two month mark would have hit.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
You've made at least one viewer really happy with this announcement. This is my favorite LP, and I really dig the concept, the dynamic and the pacing. You also have great chemistry, and The Splash has done a great job replacing Leavemywife.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yep, it's a good LP, and I'm glad it's not dead too.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah still holding out for the next episode when it's ready :) - thanks for letting us know its still going.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks for the status update Nidoking. I can't wait to see you guys stumble through there.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're back! I'd catch you all up on what happened previously, but I'm not sure any of it matters. I have some theories about what might be happening in this part of the game, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm terrible at interpreting things like symbolism, art, and cases where I can't tell whether any of those things are there or not. The Gobliiins series as a whole has conditioned us to expect some very weird stuff, but I don't think anything could have prepared us for whatever this is.

Part 8-1: "I'm getting some Twin Peaks flashbacks." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay, you're back. And you return with some fine henmanipulation.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 25, 2018

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think I'll let the title quote for this video do the talking for me. It's one of those lines that seems utterly absurd, but like most of the rest of them, they actually fit once you see the context.

Part 8-2: "If I was stuck on a cliff because I rode a magical flying crygoldfish across a castle and the only thing I could do was either hop off, jump down into, I'm guessing, a giant orifice in the corner there, or grab a dragon pickle, I would grab the dragon pickle." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're almost done. Almost. So close. I'm not any closer to being able to explain what's going on here, but we manage to make Blount look beautiful and ugly and move on from this strangeness and into a very different kind of strangeness.

Part 8-3: "I can't imagine what playing this game would be like if I had to drink every time I made a wrong decision." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There's a lot of information in these games that I didn't know existed when I played through them following the hint book and gave up trying to solve any of the puzzles. I'm sure some of that information would be useful to those poor fools who didn't lean on the hint book and actually tried to complete the game in earnest. If it exists, I have no idea where it is. Even the material that's meant to explain what's happening doesn't help much. I don't know why you have to do some of the things you have to do. Having established that, this is easily the most confusing part of the series. There's a part in the fourth game where literally nothing is recognizable as a thing, and it's still slightly less confusing than this.

Part 8: Scrambled Egg Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The end of the game is slightly less confusing than the past few parts, but that's about the equivalent of saying that the hole you've fallen into is slightly less deep than the Marianas Trench. It's still going to give you a splitting headache when you're finished. Speaking of splitting, that seems to have been the problem all along, or at least since we accomplished our original goal of getting to Foliander some 3/4 of the way through the game. The minor detail of the spring of bitterness splitting the kingdoms, which you'd only have found if you investigated the fountains, makes this ending slightly more sensible (Marianas Trench, blah blah blah), but it all still seems entirely abstract in a way that the previous games relegated to explicitly drug-induced single screens. In any case, the game is over, and only the fourth game remains to be played.

Part 9: "Everything is quacking in this last level. Stage. Area." Polsy Youtube

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Fourth game? I guess it would be a game called 'Goblns V' which contains zero goblins of any kind.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tombot posted:

Fourth game? I guess it would be a game called 'Goblns V' which contains zero goblins of any kind.
Nooot quite.

So... Goblins 3, huh. I think that might have been my very first point & click game, way back in the day. I have fond memories of it and I've enjoyed the LP!

Anyway, while IV is the final game in the actual Gobliiins series, there's also The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble from 1994, which isn't a Gobliiins game but was made by Coktel Vision, and Pierre Gilhodes who created Gobliiins worked on it so it has the same visual style and humour as the Gobliiins games.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Nooot quite.

So... Goblins 3, huh. I think that might have been my very first point & click game, way back in the day. I have fond memories of it and I've enjoyed the LP!

Anyway, while IV is the final game in the actual Gobliiins series, there's also The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble from 1994, which isn't a Gobliiins game but was made by Coktel Vision, and Pierre Gilhodes who created Gobliiins worked on it so it has the same visual style and humour as the Gobliiins games.

That game was so mean to me! In an era before the internet I was ridiculously stuck at some point. Since I had nothing else going on in my life, I tried to brute force it by literally trying to combine every item with every object in the game. It didn't actually work out. Nowadays I know that I had a game breaking bug.
It's a fun game, though.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's a fun game, though.

Strangely entertaining, that's for sure. Except that trice damned code keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The delay on this video is equal parts me taking forever to get around to making it and me purposefully holding off so I can spread the early Gobliiins 4 videos across the holiday season to keep things moving. There's really not much to this final screen, and while it has a connection to the pre-labyrinth story, a lot of what connects the disparate parts of the game together is loose and nonsensical. There's a main plot about Blount trying to interview the king and queen (which is only evident if you bother to read the newspaper), which transitions rather abruptly into trying to solve the maze by way of crashing into the tail end of the subplot where Wynnona is trying to get the key back from Fourbalus. The manual (which I don't remember having in my physical copy) explains how she came to have the key in the first place, but the entire maze portion of the game is so abstract that I can't make heads or tails of it. I get that fixing the spring reconnects the kingdoms, but how they became divided in the first place isn't entirely clear. It can't be due to the fighting over which kingdom's champion will conquer the Labyrinth, since the spring was the end of the maze to begin with. Oh well. This is the end of a very confusing game.

Part 9: Hate to spring this ending on you Polsy Youtube