Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh hey. Always happy to have an update here. But to be honest, I'm kinda waiting for Goblins 3. That was my favorite one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Air is lava! posted:

Oh hey. Always happy to have an update here. But to be honest, I'm kinda waiting for Goblins 3. That was my favorite one.

I too am waiting for Goblins 3, but for a different reason. Played the crap out of 2, but never did get the third one

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
As you can probably guess from the long gap between videos, I didn't manage to get any solo ones done before taking my break - everything from unhelpful officials to a dead washing machine conspired to eat up all my free time, and there's still most of that left to deal with. The good news is that I'm having a pretty good time, which may or may not come to an end next week. But we still have a couple of videos left in chapter 2, and the infamous part is yet to come. This video illustrates one of the biggest problems with the game - sometimes, there's an opportunity to make it pretty clear what you need to do, but the game doesn't bother. There are more items in this game than there were in the first game, and twice as many characters who can use those items, so it takes a long time to rule out everything you're carrying in a given situation, and if you're too quick to dismiss something because it didn't work for one character, you might miss the correct solution. (I think, at least, that if one character performs his idle animation with an item, the other one will too - if you're using the wrong character, you'll get a finger-wag.) On the other hand, plants liking water seems fairly intuitive to me.

Part 2-2: "Hey! Are you always nekkid? Fantastic." Polsy Youtube

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
Kael's just smiling away the whole time, I really can't blame Leavemywife for not realizing he was in need of water. Especially with the nymph having been so obviously dehydrated in comparison.

And that honey puzzle, christ. :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
While I found that honey puzzle kinda obvious, it was still a bit obtuse. Fingus could have simply plucked a flower rather than shaking the branch.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I just have to say, Winkle eating the wrong mushroom results in probably my favorite thing in the game. I dunno why but the combination of that face and that sound just wrecks me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, my exile to California is nearly over, and soon I will be back at my recording equipment and merely too busy to work on the LP instead of too busy AND nowhere near the computer. My brother's getting married next weekend, and I've got a lot to do before then, largely relating to not having been at home for nearly a month. Hopefully, I'll get some new videos up before too long, but I don't think there's much of a rush. Leavemywife is now a father, and also LPing FFVI Advance, so I expect he'll have less free time than he used to. We'll continue to record whenever we've got the time, of course, but until then, here's the final bit of our last session. This is where the game really gets weird. Most of it is our characters doing strange things in relatively mundane places, if you think about it. The first game had a dragon cave, a floating statue, a dungeon, a mummy scaring a troll... this one's been mostly tame countryside so far. Then you drink the dream potion and you get...

Part 2-3: "I should've guessed we were using the mushroom to make drugs." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't worry; I didn't forget that I was doing an LP. There's a lot in chapter 2, so it took a couple tries to get a good recording. Once I had that, though, it was easy enough to get the commentary in and get it posted. I may not have time to do another session with Leave until mid to late September, but once I do, the videos usually don't take very long to produce. This episode might be worth watching even if you watched the guest videos, since I took the time to show a few animations that didn't come up while he was playing, but as usual, you won't be missing anything vital. Also, Polsy's site seems to be having some problems tonight, so if the link doesn't work, it might be better to go directly to Youtube.

Part 2: Trenches and Trees, Music and Mushrooms Polsy Youtube

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate this LP and am glad that you are doing it. It's unfortunate it'll be a while until you can likely continue it, but it's been very entertaining and hits that right level of engaging yet chill for me and thus I find worth the wait. Take it easy and continue when you can.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I tried to get this posted before the debate, but Youtube refused to work with me. So you might have to watch the former governor of my state talk about how horrible a job he'll do if elected for a few minutes before the trolls show up. But don't worry. We have plenty of trolls, guarding the mysterious chest with the carved fish. Last time, a blacksmith told us how to make a key, and nobody had any clue what he said. It's up to Leavemywife to puzzle it out and get what's inside!

Part 3-1: "Let's go offer Focus some mayonnaise for his meat. I really wish I had that phrased better." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This is still a really fun game. I'm glad those videos keep on coming. Also Pence may have done a quiet good job stating his awful opinions, but more importantly he tried to score points by throwing his running mate under the bus and directly contradicting him.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 5, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sadly, I think people at either end of a political spectrum are more prone to simultaneously holding contradictory opinions because they have a stronger attachment to the people saying them. It won't be hard for people to believe both Trump and Pence, even when they conflict, because those guys are Republicans and therefore whatever they say is true and good and right (Right?). It happens in a lot of contexts, but politics is a big gravity well for ambivalence. It was a bad show overall, but at least Tim Kaine said that he's willing to put the will of the people before his own beliefs. Pence absolutely will not do that, and he's not ashamed to say it. He was terrible for this state and I'm glad he's gone, even if it means there's a chance he gets to do the same thing for the whole country.

I'd say let's not turn this thread into a political discussion, but it's not like I've been getting much other traffic, so just keep it cool and civil.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

In today's video, we deal with a talking dinosaur statue, a troll who's not easily intimidated, and a single puzzle that led Leavemywife to threaten my family. What could possibly be so diabolical? Hey, it's a Coktel game. Nothing is too abstract.

Part 3-2: "I will kill your family." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Why would they even have that statue? I guess it really is some kind of god? This game is weird.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why would they even have that statue? This game is weird.
This is what makes you realise these games are weird?

Also way to be a dick, Nidoking. It was funny though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

This is what makes you realise these games are weird?

Also way to be a dick, Nidoking. It was funny though.
Everything up till now was just everyday stuff. But a statue with a moving mouth? That's where I draw the line!

Yeah being a dick like that is the best thing to do. Everyone in Nidokings position should do exactly what the person wishes. Like an average genie.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I assume it's either a Wizard of Oz sort of thing, or that's where they hold their monster truck rallies.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm sorry it took me so long to get this done, but I didn't like my first take, and I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks working on something for another project. That should be happening soon. Happening now, the infiltration of Amoniak's castle with the help of a blacksmith who once told us what we need to do. If you missed it, good luck. Fortunately, I know what we need to do. I had the hint book. For some reason, it had a strange fixation on the mayonnaise. It eventually let up, but for a while after this point, every other question involved the mayonnaise, with a sarcastic answer telling the hypothetical questioner to forget about the mayonnaise. It showed up a few times in later chapters as well, just to annoy you. It reminds me a lot of my sense of humor at the time I first played this game. I don't like to think about that part of my life now. So thanks, Gobliins 2 official hint book.

Part 3: The Key to the Chest with the Carved Fish Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Just popping in to say that if anyone's getting impatient to see the rest of the game, it's on sale for the GOG Weekend Promo. $1.49 and the first three games are yours, along with the hint books you'll absolutely need to make sense of the rest of the series. They're rather awkwardly OCRed, but you can see what I mean about the mayonnaise in the second one.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm going to put Nidoking on the spot and tell you all we recorded tonight!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That's nice to hear. It will be the first time I will see how the game ends. It always crashed right at the end when I played it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's not quite the end of the game yet. First, we need to traverse the sewer level. The good news is that it's probably the shortest chapter in the game. There isn't really any bad news. This isn't such a bad sewer level, all things considered.

Part 4: "All right, go through that convoluted series of events again." Polsy Youtube

Also, I'm doing bonus videos for the Hyrule Warriors thread if anyone's interested.

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
I do love how completely unimpressed the fish-lamp looks. It doesn't even care that some weirdass goblin has stuck it in his pocket, just yeah, whatever.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

HotAndColdAF posted:

I do love how completely unimpressed the fish-lamp looks. It doesn't even care that some weirdass goblin has stuck it in his pocket, just yeah, whatever.

Most fish spend their last moments thinking "It's my fault for being delicious."

This one thinks "It's my fault for being useful."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Catching that glove felt unnecessarily convoluted. That thing should have been scared away if someone stands there.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think it's long enough after the holidays to post my solo take of this chapter. It's mercifully short. The big takeaway here is that the eel can talk, although good luck figuring out what it's saying. The bubble sound effects are even more obnoxious when you can't read what the characters are saying and you have to listen to them.

Part 4: Fools of Ships Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bad news, everyone. Leavemywife is unable to continue his guest appearances in the LP, which is a large part of why there haven't been many updates recently. However, the LP will continue. If anyone would like to pick up where Leave left off, let me know. All I ask is that you've never played any of the remaining Gobliiins games before, that you've caught up on at least one set of the videos of the second game, that you have a decent Internet connection and audio recording setup, and that you have some free time over weekends (preferably) or evenings Eastern time during which we can record. I've got PMs here, or you can contact me on Twitter at @IAmNidoking or Discord at Nidoking#3252.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good luck finding a replacement.
It's sort of bad timing since you are only one or two videos away from the end of the second game.
Maybe you could try the co-commentator station.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Good luck finding a replacement.
It's sort of bad timing since you are only one or two videos away from the end of the second game.
Maybe you could try the co-commentator station.

More like five or six videos, at this pace. And it will be slowing down, because the puzzles get harder from here.

And I'll go other places if nobody from this thread steps up, but I assumed that most of the people on SA who are up to date on the videos are reading the thread.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I would but I haven't got any audio recording setup and suspect my laptop might not be good for that sort of thing. Also I'm not remotely as funny as Leave is. :sigh:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm certainly not going to insist on any particular level of humor from a guest. The game rather organically provides a lot of that, particularly since we're well past the first one. Genuine reactions to the situations in the game are likely to be funny enough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Like saying you'll kill his family. :v:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I might be up for guest-commentating, but I am very logical and good at problem solving, so of course I will be terrible at figuring out 90's adventure game horse poo poo.

Also I don't think I will be able to for a few weeks depending on various real life variables that are currently up in the air.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

I might be up for guest-commentating, but I am very logical and good at problem solving, so of course I will be terrible at figuring out 90's adventure game horse poo poo.

Also I don't think I will be able to for a few weeks depending on various real life variables that are currently up in the air.

If nobody's claimed the spot by then, you're hired.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've found my new co-pilot. Thanks to everyone who applied, and I apologize publicly for the grueling audition process. There were supposed to be significantly fewer honey badgers involved.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nidoking posted:

I think it's long enough after the holidays to post my solo take of this chapter. It's mercifully short. The big takeaway here is that the eel can talk, although good luck figuring out what it's saying. The bubble sound effects are even more obnoxious when you can't read what the characters are saying and you have to listen to them.

Yeah, that seemed like a really weird choice on their part, for sound design. I suppose things weren't terribly sophisticated at the time in terms of, like, sound mixing or multiple audio channels, but not even having subtitles must have made things nearly unbearable.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

Yeah, that seemed like a really weird choice on their part, for sound design. I suppose things weren't terribly sophisticated at the time in terms of, like, sound mixing or multiple audio channels, but not even having subtitles must have made things nearly unbearable.

I just replayed the first half of the game in preparation for using an improved recording method that somehow failed to carry over my save data, and what the eel says is that you can find diamonds and pearls if you look hard enough, and that you can find treasure, but you'll need real sailor muscle. I don't know whether either of those hints are particularly helpful, but there you have it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The wait is over, and it's time for my new guest, The Splash, to take up the reins of guiding Fingus and Winkle through Amoniak's castle in search of the missing Prince Buffoon. I happen to think the game gets much more difficult at this point, but she makes pretty quick work of these puzzles. The rest of this series may not take as long as I was expecting. I'm also using a new version of ScummVM that works with Voicemeeter, which lets us hear the game while we record, so look forward to comments about the sound of the characters' voices for the first time. This will be much more interesting when we get to the third game.

Part 5-1: "We were gonna get salty at some point, I'm sure." Polsy Youtube

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Hoo-boy, let's see if we can keep up this pace! Thanks for replaying through most of the game again so that we can enjoy each character's dulcet voice together.

And for anyone else as amused by the seasoned adventurers as I am:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Nice to see you're back. And welcome The Splash.
I finally get to see the endgame. For some reason my game would always crash once I entered that throne room screen for the second time. Such a weird bug.