Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
"And nothing but the tooth" made me do a little strangled noise
WELL DONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I know nobody's been watching the solo videos when there are the far more entertaining guest videos to watch, and that makes perfect sense. However, I think you owe it to yourselves to check out at least one portion of the CD version of the third game. The first two only differed in sound design and speech vs. text, but the third actually crammed a few new animations into the story and replaced all of the music with garbage. Not Garbage, the band that makes music, but the auditory equivalent of sticking your head into a trash can. The conversation interface, where every conversation consists of three lines, only one of which has an actual caption, also didn't work very well with full voice, so they didn't even try. The solution they came up with is awkward at best. This game is the reason that I wanted to do the dual presentation from the start. There is no way this would have been my favorite game in the series had I known this version existed.

Part 1: Blount's covering a war, you know Polsy Youtube

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I've been watching both the whole time, buster. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ugh! Those full frontal voice portraits look awful.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The puzzle with the pepper does actually make a bit of sense, since he really does bash his head into the shield while sneezing. I would think that would be enough to throw someone off balance.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Gob 3 CD was the one I started on, and is still my favorite one of the series. Some of the later puzzles use some intense moon logic to solve, and some of the later area are hard to describe without sounding like a loony. I eventually went back to the older ones but some of the design decisions(HP for the first game) really turned me off of them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I had a bit of a snafu while editing this video, and I lost the entire audio track in an Audacity crash. Fortunately, I'd taken the precaution of exporting my audio before doing any editing (a recent habit), and the audio from the game and The Splash were already separate files, so nothing of value was lost. I still have a lot to learn about making audio listenable, but this should work as well as any of my videos ever do. If anyone has been thinking that I give The Splash more hints than I gave Leavemywife, I think this session will prove otherwise. See if you can guess which words she'll be eating by the end. (They're not necessarily in this video.)

Part 2-1: "Finally, something goes the way I was thinking it should go!" Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Finally a new video. I've been missing this.
Edit: Now that I actually watched this video, Nidoking was entirely correct when he said that the audience is screaming. :) But to be fair, they switched between purple and orange a few times. And every time he decided to put in the new color first.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Edit: Now that I actually watched this video, Nidoking was entirely correct when he said that the audience is screaming. :) But to be fair, they switched between purple and orange a few times. And every time he decided to put in the new color first.

Purposefully avoided turning the room red until I was specifically instructed to do so, yes.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Nidoking posted:

Purposefully avoided turning the room red until I was specifically instructed to do so, yes.

That was good DMing, yes. Several times I had to remind myself that the video wasn't live, and that The Splash couldn't hear my anguished cries of "Change it to red! RED!!!"

btw, I've really enjoyed watching you go through these games with Leavemywife and The Splash. So many times I've thought I'd figured out a solution before the player, only to be shown that nope, I totally don't got this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Good call, I was definitely screaming.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time for our first multi-room puzzle! This game brings back the Gobliins 2 style areas where the puzzles span multiple rooms, but unlike in the previous game, this game does tend to require a fair bit of going back and forth in some cases, even if you know exactly what you need to do. There's also one puzzle in the game that becomes slightly more difficult if you do things out of order. Guess which order The Splash picked! Or just watch the video and find out.

Part 2-2: "I need to look through these videos and take a tally on how many seesaws have been made or utilized in some way in this series." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time to wrap up this dragon-memory-restoring note-finding chapter of our journey. Fortunately, we've got a bunch of new friends to help us on our way, including a dragon and a mouse. It's entirely possible that the mouse is the larger of the two.

Part 2-3: "What am I gonna put my ukulele on now?" Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That coin is pretty much your best friend through this adventure. It's good that you have it back.

I sometimes try to imagine how these puzzle chains would work in a logical order, which wouldn't break sequence and it's a bit stupid.
First you go to the inn. You try to just walk past, but Blount tells you that he has to talk to the captain (I think.) So you do that a few times. He tells you to find that note. You make your way up to Othello, get his key and Blount suddenly starts talking about some dragon. You go over there and try to get the dragon. In order to do that you talk to the princess and the knight. Then you try to drug the dragon by dousing the basin, but he prefers drink from the river. You have no idea how to plug that thing until you randomly decide to give Othello his key back, even though you're not done with it. You get the dragon, talk to Othello again, get the note, talk to Othello yet again and then the captain. Afterwards you try to leave the screen, when Blount suddenly starts talking about Wynona.

Playing an adventure game and only collecting items when you already know what you would use them for is a path to pure madness.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This is where I ran out of jokers as a kid and spent a couple of months on these two screens, mostly because of that darned pedestal. Wynonna's little one-off screen was pretty good though, iirc.

As a minor cultural note on knight Brayar, he's a reference to the Chevalier de Bayard, "the knight without fear and beyond reproach" who symbolized Middle-Ages French chivalry. Or course, knight Brayar (Braillard = Crybaby in French) isn't quite without fear. A few years before Goblins 3 came out, there was a somewhat popular comedy with that Bayard as the main protagonist, so I'm guessing that's what partially inspired the authors.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Miacis posted:

This is where I ran out of jokers as a kid and spent a couple of months on these two screens, mostly because of that darned pedestal. Wynonna's little one-off screen was pretty good though, iirc.

I knew enough to uninstall the game, then reinstall it for a fresh set of jokers. We're getting close to the second of the three screens where I didn't need one!

That's a nifty sidenote about Knight Bayard. I expect there are a lot of cultural references in these games, and probably Coktel games in general, that go way over my head.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sorry about the long gap between episodes - I've been dealing with a lot of stuff over the past month. It's been a balancing act with things like trying to convince the telework office that I can see well enough to work at home, but not well enough to drive the interstate to get to the office, and a new type of weekly therapy that's actually helped immeasurably with my depression. I've also been extremely tired since about the time my vision went, and I have no idea whether they're related or not. But I managed to cobble together the next solo episode, and The Splash and I recently recorded the next session of guest videos, so those should be coming along shortly. For now, enjoy Blount's journey from the land of the dead to the inn of sugar cubes, with a brief stop in the country burned by a dragon.

Part 2: Bat and Dragon and Mouse Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I have a really good reason this time, I swear. It's Super Mario Odyssey and Dominion online, a devastating one-two punch to my free time. Meanwhile, The Splash has discovered the science of explosives, and how to lodge herself under a rock. I was probably much more sarcastic this episode than I needed to be, but we talked about that after the session. Hopefully, it's still entertaining - I think this is one of the best parts of the game, and our banter is probably at its funniest here, when I'm not being playfully hostile.

Part 3-1: "That's not a doinamoite! THIS is a doinamoite!" Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We finally finish blowing up possibly historic structures and move on to the town, where the grocer is friendly and happy to help us continue our journey. Chump's assistance here is invaluable, and Blount will just never change.

Part 3-2: "There are limits to curiosity. Spaghetti on the ground? Don't do it." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love how everything at the grocer can be solved with violence. When all you have is a hammer...

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Argas posted:

Good call, I was definitely screaming.

AltaBrown posted:

Several times I had to remind myself that the video wasn't live, and that The Splash couldn't hear my anguished cries of "Change it to red! RED!!!"
I guess even when I couldn't, y'all were seeing red! :v:

I love how everything at the grocer can be solved with violence. When all you have is a hammer...
Goblins 3 is full of valuable life lessons.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'll probably get the solo video posted between the holidays, but this is the final bit of our most recent session. In this one, The Splash learns alchemy and discovers how to make a friend. There are no instructions on any of these instruments, but they all involve either pushing a button or setting fire to something. Or trying to distinguish between a mortar and a pestle, which is admittedly one of the most difficult things to do. (Wait until we get to a place with stalactites and stalagmites.) The most important lesson here is not to get too attached to anything that is a baby or cute.

Part 3-3: "It's like cooking with Rayman." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Best character from the series right there.
Fulbert is really great.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I totally wanted to release this video around the holidays and that's why it took so long to get it published. It's definitely not all the other stuff going on in my life lately. Also, I don't imagine there will be another opportunity to record until next year, so I wanted to spread out the releases a bit more. So, if you've already celebrated your last holiday for the year, I hope it was a good one, and if not, I hope it will be. Now, if you don't mind, I need to lie awake in bed all night seething in jealousy of those people who can just fall asleep anywhere.

Part 3: Consequences always come back to bite someone Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

After the long holiday break, it's time to check out what our new buddy Fulbert can do. He's surprisingly versatile, considering that Chump's purpose was generally just to be a second character to do stuff while Blount does other stuff. To be fair, Fulbert does a bit of that too, but he's got unique talents of his own. He's certainly not the kind of sidekick you can just walk all over.

Part 4-1: "It's the father of Master Hand from Super Smash Bros! In that case, I'm glad we're on Normal difficulty." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

After another fairly long break, I've learned what's likely been wrong with my vision for the past six months and learned that I have only a week to deal with it and start driving myself to work again. I sure hope the doctors were right. Anyway, it's time for The Splash to spread her wings and fly. We have to finish making the potion for flight, of course, but how hard can that be?

Part 4-2: "Don't drop the soap! Trust me." Polsy Youtube

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
It's sad that this LP doesn't have more views, it's really one of my favorites at the moment. I like the approach you're doing and it really fits these games well to see someone experience them blind while also having the safety net of someone who knows the games well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kjetting posted:

It's sad that this LP doesn't have more views, it's really one of my favorites at the moment. I like the approach you're doing and it really fits these games well to see someone experience them blind while also having the safety net of someone who knows the games well.

Yeah. Please continue with those videos. While it may be that just a few people watch them, we really enjoy doing so.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

No worries. I'm still having fun with it, and I've never cared about view numbers all that much. I've got the next solo video ready for commentary, and The Splash and I just recorded another marathon session yesterday, so there's no stopping this LP. Thanks for the positive thoughts, though. I always appreciate them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

These games are immensely silly and full of strangeness, but it's the little touches I appreciate, like when there's a special reaction for just barely missing the timing for a puzzle.

Part 4: Faster than a speeding bullet, yet unable to leap small gaps between buildings Polsy Youtube

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, the sheer weirdness has its own strange charm to it, I can't quite put my finger on it but for me it's sort of epitomised in the first game with the "magic" ability to turn an item into something similar but different. There's also something quite satisfying about the way the game is fragmented into one-screen or 2/few-screen puzzles, it is kind of claustrophobic but there's a real feeling of accomplishment when you leave an area behind and are presented with a completely new and even weirder one.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We're now distinctly in the second half of the game, and the puzzles are ramping up in difficulty. Things still make sense... for now. But we're going to have to deal with the security guard who's been throwing rocks at any airship that gets too close to Foliander (including ours), a giant with cold feet, and dubious fishing equipment. It's a good thing we have an old friend to help us!

Part 5-1: "Can we give the giant a growth elixir?" Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The puzzles continue to get stranger the closer we get to our goal, but with magic, we can make some amazing things happen. Feels a lot like the first game again, doesn't it? But even with his magic, Ooya has a hard time getting around because he doesn't have wings. Fortunately, he and Blount can work together to overcome any goat.

Part 5-2: "I can't stop looking at the absurdity of the whole thing. It's hard to make a comment. Everything is silly. It's great. We knocked out a goat." Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

We've spent the last two videos collecting some very strange items, perhaps even by Gobliiins standards, but it's time we put those items to use and solve some puzzles. We even get to play as a couple of new characters in this one!

Part 5-3: "I want this exact screen, subtitle and everything, just plastered on the side of a van." Polsy Youtube

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I don't know much about French idioms, but "fatal grain of sand" sounds like it should mean something like "the straw that broke the camel's back", as in "tiny thing that can destroy big thing".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Was that a Lifeline reference? And just a bit later you're referencing that old Mario let's play? You're great Nidoking.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

kjetting posted:

I don't know much about French idioms, but "fatal grain of sand" sounds like it should mean something like "the straw that broke the camel's back", as in "tiny thing that can destroy big thing".

That's a possibility, but my research tells me that the equivalent phrase is "la goutte d'eau qui fait déborder le vase," or "the drop of water that overflows the vase".

Was that a Lifeline reference? And just a bit later you're referencing that old Mario let's play? You're great Nidoking.

Correct on all counts, although that was The Splash with the Lifeline reference. I loved the game when I played it and found the SGF LP only a little frustrating, but he's not wrong about the difficulty of getting the game to understand what you want to do.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Ooo boy, the game's translation took a bit of a dip there. Here come the cultural notes.

Our common idiom is "un grain de sable s'est glissé dans l'engrenage" (a grain of sand slipped in the works). It's our spanner/monkey wrench equivalent: a minor element that makes even the best laid plans go awry. So when you hear about a grain of sand in a French adventure game, chances are it's gonna do exactly that.
"Fatal" and "Fatidical" seemed like really poor choices to say "fateful". I think the whole idea is that, since it's a grain of sand, it's destined to end up in the machinery. ("Mettre son grain de sable" can also mean "putting one's oar in", too. It's good that Colossus had neither a wrench nor an oar in his eye...)

The shadow clone exchange was overly literal, so here's a more English version of it:
Ouya: "I'll show you what I'm made of!"
Blount: "Wow, that blew my mind."
Shadow Blount: "Darn, I'll tip my hat to that."

Last few things: A while back, you noted the boucassier's lack of name. His name is Jeff.
And "Bizoo" could be translated as Kissy. You dropped it on Colossus's face. :3:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Correct on all counts, although that was The Splash with the Lifeline reference. I loved the game when I played it and found the SGF LP only a little frustrating, but he's not wrong about the difficulty of getting the game to understand what you want to do.

You should totally so a session where your voice recognition ist a bit more Like Ryo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Miacis posted:

Ooo boy, the game's translation took a bit of a dip there. Here come the cultural notes.

This is wonderful. I'm beginning to have hope that some of the end of the game may make a tiny bit of sense in retrospect.

You should totally so a session where your voice recognition ist a bit more Like Ryo's.

That's most sessions, with as bad as my audio has been recently. I upgraded to the latest version of Audacity, which has a function specifically to cater to my problem, so I'm hoping the future videos will be significantly less work to edit.