Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Oh man, memories... I had Goblins 3 packaged with the educational games I was given as a kid and could never get past the halfway point. It's cool to see what the earlier iterations were like. I can't wait 'til we get to 3 though.. :allears:

Major_JF posted:

Water on monster = wicked witch in the wizard of oz. It might be elsewhere but that is the only place I know of.
Wizard of Oz didn't have nearly the same influence in France as it did in the US, so I'd be surprised if that were the case.
Maybe it's a bad pun on the French idiom for "burst into tears" which is "fondre en larmes" (melt in(to) tears). It fits with the brand of humor I've seen in franco-belgian comics.

Some of the more confusing items interactions did remind me of "classic jokes" I used to see in kid comics, so I guess the bottom line is... if something seems incredibly obtuse, it might just be a French humor thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This is where I ran out of jokers as a kid and spent a couple of months on these two screens, mostly because of that darned pedestal. Wynonna's little one-off screen was pretty good though, iirc.

As a minor cultural note on knight Brayar, he's a reference to the Chevalier de Bayard, "the knight without fear and beyond reproach" who symbolized Middle-Ages French chivalry. Or course, knight Brayar (Braillard = Crybaby in French) isn't quite without fear. A few years before Goblins 3 came out, there was a somewhat popular comedy with that Bayard as the main protagonist, so I'm guessing that's what partially inspired the authors.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Ooo boy, the game's translation took a bit of a dip there. Here come the cultural notes.

Our common idiom is "un grain de sable s'est glissé dans l'engrenage" (a grain of sand slipped in the works). It's our spanner/monkey wrench equivalent: a minor element that makes even the best laid plans go awry. So when you hear about a grain of sand in a French adventure game, chances are it's gonna do exactly that.
"Fatal" and "Fatidical" seemed like really poor choices to say "fateful". I think the whole idea is that, since it's a grain of sand, it's destined to end up in the machinery. ("Mettre son grain de sable" can also mean "putting one's oar in", too. It's good that Colossus had neither a wrench nor an oar in his eye...)

The shadow clone exchange was overly literal, so here's a more English version of it:
Ouya: "I'll show you what I'm made of!"
Blount: "Wow, that blew my mind."
Shadow Blount: "Darn, I'll tip my hat to that."

Last few things: A while back, you noted the boucassier's lack of name. His name is Jeff.
And "Bizoo" could be translated as Kissy. You dropped it on Colossus's face. :3:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 3, 2018

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Chokies/Chokiels sound incredibly unsafe to eat. The French version had "Tchokos" which... doesn't mean anything either. Maybe they intended it to evoke "Chocos", a European cereal brand?

It also occurs to me that the CD version has some... interesting voiced dialogue for some of the cutscenes. Like the interviews:

This poo poo is hard to transcribe and translate posted:

Xyna's got some low-effort Frenchy latin:
Xyna: Collossus técrasibus labyrinthem > Collossus crushyou-ibus labyrinthem.
Blount: Eh belle ? Poumelgueul > Eh pretty ? something-face.
Xyna: Godasse mamie garou ami labyrinthelle mi morpionibus > Slang-for-a-shoe granny were(wolf?) friend labyrinthelle mi crabs-ibus (yes, those crabs)
Blount: Pas poulet pâtes ? Euh, papou, papette? > Not chicken pasta? Uh, Papuan, Panuanista?
Xyna: Mi pitit garirari glouglouglouglouglouglouglou > Mi smol garirari glub x7, or gobble x7, whichever works.

Bodd's may have a bit of an eating disorder???
Were-Blount: Pi pa pou que de pelripou > Pi pa pou what a ... shovelcrook?
Bodd: Ukulélé taboulé taboulé boie graquerrero oké ! > Ukulele tabbouleh tabbouleh (link) drink graquerrero okay!
Were-Blount: Pi pa pou, babaloumbatoum toum pim pam poum > Pi pa pou, babaloumbatoum toum bob's your uncle.
Bodd: Pas bon pas bon, boulissima bravoquerrero labyrinthatum > No good no good, extremely-plump bravoquerrero labyrinthatum.

It's about on par with what you'd expect a tired voice actor to say if only given the instruction "say random sounds into the microphone". Nier's Nouveau FR this is not.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2018