Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sylphid posted:

I'm glad Zesty is letting me get so far off-track. I passed the four trials, so now I have to go look for Heldalf, but instead I crossed over the Great Camelot Bridge, wound up in a desert-area, and now after passing through a marshland I'm exploring a deep forest.

I remember those areas being locked until I tracked down Heldalf, but I may be remembering wrong.

I wound up really not liking how they shut off big swaths of the map for most of the game, and how they give you a decoy party member just long enough for you to like them before they disappear forever, except for one short period late in the game.

Right now I'm at the last dungeon or two. I don't think it was a bad game, but it didn't quite do it for me like Tales of Xillia did. I'd consider taking a Tales game off if Berseria didn't sound so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sylphid posted:

Moderate is slightly better item drops, it says. But from the description I would guess experience and Gald are untouched.

Moderate bumps up drop rate, same gald and exp. Hard reduces exp, but give you more Gald, though I have piles of the stuff and no really good end-game shop to spend it in.

Also the drops and skill chance need to be way higher, I couldn't get any real skill combos going late because the gear kept dropping with 1-2 skills on it, no matter what normin I was using.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

El Burbo posted:

wow first the trump post now this???

Gonna build a wall around earth and get Zeon to pay for it..

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That looks literally impossible, despite the fact I just saw it done. I played some mean guitar tracks in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but nothing close to that level.

I hope you got all criticals, and not 4 nears like that scrub in the video.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

littleorv posted:

Someone buy me Xcom 2

:yeah: me too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This took way too long, but I'm sure it was worth it.

If Maki doesn't carry a dying Nico onto a dropship to save her then all that time will have been wasted.

Please keep us posted on which Love Live's die, and how.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

idk poo poo about the story of fates but nohr seems like it'd be the more interesting of the 2 non-neutral paths

idk what the neutral path involves doing, if it's specifically "gently caress you I'm gonna fight both of you" or what but i feel like that'd also be an interesting path to take

The "third option", revelations, has you teaming up with both factions against the true evil, so of course that's the DLC option. If I had to guess, gameplay is probably a mix of the two in battle mechanics, and you can probably create some interesting teams with the units from both sides at your disposal.

I'm probably going to get conquests, though I'll probably also end up getting birthright since I enjoyed Awakening and it has Yuri, the truest path.

I kept getting too hung up over not making super-optimal killers and perfect marriages to complete Awakening though, so I suppose I should do that in the meantime...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

dogsicle posted:

so is any one side in Fates actually evil or are people being reductive/missing the point when they act like that's true

It sounds like your adoptive family is pretty evil, but they probably have reasons for most of what they're doing. I'm hoping for a few outright evil characters on both sides of the fence, it's always a good time when there's an evil general or something on your side who you have to dramatically fight later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

The people who are scared of face touching are the evil side

:yeah:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

X-Com 2 is fun, and its normal seems significantly harder than 1's. Tonight I learned that if I don't carry an unconscious soldier out of a mission where the goal is to evacuate, she stays behind and is captured. At the same time I learned that when the timer says you have one turn left, it means that the current turn is your last, which I think is different from how 1 did it. At any rate, only a grievously wounded Nico and the VIP got out alive; Maki, the unconscious Eli, and Rin were all captured. I'm going to give that one another go.

But not tonight.

Any losses are acceptable to keep Nico alive and healthy. I want a constant stream of temporary Love Lives throwing themselves into the meat grinder to keep her safe, make it happen Cant.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Red Minjo posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates was a fun game.

I liked it decently enough, it got too repetitive for me to really get into it.

The original NES version doesn't get anywhere near the credit it's due though, it managed to pull off a hell of a game considering it was working with a few MB of data and 20+ year old technology.

I also think Rebel Galaxy took the right approach by trying to be something different in the space sim genre, though my short attention span meant I didn't spend much time with it. Big ol' broadsides are always fun anyway, it was fun to see that outside of naval combat and it controlled better than I expected.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I've got Fates: Conquest and SF 5 queued up on Gamefly, so I should have them a little under a week after their respective release dates. Looking forward to not having to worry about limited weapon uses and playing a version of FE that's lighter on having to grind out random encounters.

I'm just sad I'll need to get Birthright or the DLC as well to let my yuri dreams come true.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Droyer posted:

Gonna assume you meant to post this in here.

I dunno any of the minmaxing strats, but if you're playing on normal and casual i'd say just pair up the couples you think are cute together. You'll be fine.

Yeah I totally did, curse the double anime chat threads! I just noticed it and edited it out too, and now my shame is on display for all the world :negative:. Oh well, keep the quote up in this thread please Droyer since that's where it was supposed to be anyway.

I'm playing on hard, so I feel at least slightly justified in trying to create a super-team, particularly when I go do a random paralogue and get my butt kicked.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Space Flower posted:

noooo, don't let your characters die on casual!!

I try not to, but it does happen here and there. I actually got a file on hard difficulty up to where I am on my current playthrough on normal "die once and you die forever" mode, and then I overwrote that save file on accident, leading to my current run.

I'm definitely going to go into fates with permadeath on, I had to reset a LOT but that first time through was more fun for it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Julias posted:

Happy Birthday to you!
I don't own the copyrights to this song
and neither do you.
So just sit and bask in amazement
at all the thieves around you.
:cheers:

It's public domain now Julias, sing it all you want!

Also happy birthdy Plut.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Julias posted:

Wow, that's great news! Only happened a few days ago, that's crazy.

I know that because Happy Birthday was sung on the past two Sponteanation podcasts, I think it's something of an inside joke that Paul F. Tompkins sneaks into things since I heard him also sing the melody with different lyrics on a Comedy Bang Bang best of episode from just before it got rendered fully legal, although birthdays did come up pretty organically in both improvs.

Basically listen to funny podcasts folks, you'll learn one thing every month or so if you do!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I never get tired of seeing crazy Ainu feats like cruising down a super steep slope riding a goddamn stick. It's a shame that so many traditional wilderness survival, hunting, and crafting techniques worldwide have been marginalized over time.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm still going conquest first, but since it's only $20 to get the digital download of the other version in-game I'm surely doing that right away, and getting revelation when it comes out. I can't quite stomach shelling out $18 or so for all the map packs, though there are a few that have enticing enough rewards that I MIGHT buy them piecemeal, though even then I doubt I'll manage. Luckily I picked up a beast-sized SD card awhile ago so I have plenty of room to fill it up with games, even with Smash Bros and others eating up a respectable chunk of storage space.

I know conquest is going to be tough as hell, but I'd rather struggle through hell and then go to the relative heaven of easier encounters and ability to grind levels than start out in heaven and try to adapt to hell. I've gotten really used to casual mode with non-permadeath though, I highly doubt I'll be able to play conquest that way since even in awakening I've had tons of missions that are basically "Surprise, here's 6 flying enemies for X side of the map" and there really isn't a good way to defend against that unless you've managed to build nothing but a squad of invincible supermen.

The one true add-on thing I really wish I could do is wave my 3ds over Amiibos to get all the bonus characters, but no way am I shelling out that kind of money.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 19, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was going to get this through gamefly, but I changed my mind at the 11th hour and opted to try to get it at retail instead so I wouldn't have to wait. Meijer somehow had it in stock against all odds and randomly gave me a $5 coupon, which happened to be the exact discount I was going to apply through gamefly when I opted to keep it instead of return it. I think it helped that I was gunning for conquest, I didn't see birthright there at all (not even a sales tab with no stock on it).

Making yuri marriages will be my reward when I move on to birthright after beating conquest.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Endorph posted:

zep beats me to a lot of things

He didn't beat you to being the name of my MC in fates, I'm going to take make prince Endorph change his corrupt kingdom for the better in Conquest. I'm going with normal classic for my first playthrough, should be lots of reloads as I won't let anyone die but I'm hoping it'll keep me on my toes and prevent normal from getting boring.

You can suggest someone to wed and I will strongly consider it, though unless they're female I don't like their chances.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wow, the Conquest path is maximum drama and WRRRY~ right from the get go.

littleorv posted:

Chapter 10 of Conquest can suck my loving dick gently caress gently caress gently caress

I'll be there to suffer with you soon, Orvy. I'm sure playing on classic won't make that a pain at ~all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well, now that I've frozen Ryoma in place and made him watch helplessly while I killed Sakura, I'd say this conquest run is off to a good start :black101:.

Also it seemed that beat up characters were retreating anyway, but just to be safe I had to do a restart on literally turn 2, I wasn't ready for the fights to actually be real.
I also had my first of probably many slick tactical moves when I sent Cordelia over to evac Xander and get him the hell away from "T.G. Cid" Ryoma.

Endorph posted:

here's a sneak preview of chapter 17 of conquest for you guys:

It's nothing that my Prince Endorph can't handle, I'm sure!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

chumbler posted:

You're a monster.

Hey man, no half measures. It's a shame I wasn't able to finish them all off then and there, it would have been much... cleaner.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

If anyone wants to add me as a friend on 3DS it's fine with me, I can already tell I'll get hooked on visiting other castles and the other multiplayer hooks in Fates.

My friend code is: 2165-7316-7156. Come visit my slowly growing castle!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

While I was fighting super-easy castles to try to cheat the system slightly and raise my S-links in Fire Emblem one of the guys I beat had the replicate ability on his Avatar somehow despite it being super low level. 2k Gold later and now I can send my increasingly invincible protagonist to be two places at once :getin:.

Hopefully all the social increases will apply to the puppet as well, gonna use the Dr. Manhattan guide to romance.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

It's annoying how the friends list in game lists all your registered friends instead of telling who has he game, but it does let you visit people who haven't added your FC back too, so :toot:

Yeah, I'm just writing down castle codes like Endorph's, since even when I do what I think the game uses to record castles you like to visit again (Calling Cards), I can't find how to access them consistently in my castle.

I really hope I saved the castle I got replicate from somewhere though, it's an OP as hell ability and I don't know how on earth he had it on such a low level avatar, though I guess castles aren't real clear indicators of where someone is in the game. It was just him and the maid assistant there though, which was all I had set up early on. I don't think I'll really need it playing on normal, but I'll want all the dumb hax I can get when I move on. Anyone happen to know if you can visit your own castle, like keep an old save file and then plug that file's castle address in when you start a new game? Seems like you ought to be able to, if so I can just create a sweet skill feedback loop for myself.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

littleorv posted:

I just had the option to drop down to normal. I'm giving this stupid chapter one more shot but I'll check again after

The option to toggle between phoenix/casual/classic comes up after the difficulty option. I only know this because I flicked through it on normal, confirmed normal (didn't let me upgrade it to higher difficulty or anything), and then it moved on to a toggle for unit mortality. I'm on classic and the downgrade options were lit up, I'm sure they would be for you too if you want to bump it down.

I think a mix of casual and classic is probably the way to go, in that you set it to casual and reset if you make a boneheadedly stupid tactical move and get one or more units killed, but if you just get screwed over by a 1% crit or whatever you can just keep on trucking. Still, it's a beautiful thing to take the whole crew with you all the way on classic.

Gah dammit someone else helped you first orv, I wanted to play the hero.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Here's my castle address by the way, it has decent defenses (whatever the auto is set to), but my dragon is pretty out of the way and no golems. My avatar has the replicate skill that I never shut up about and profiteer (luck% chance to find 300 gold via gold bar for first 7 turns). Within around a day it'll have the "Kill enemies, get basic weapons" ability too via Endorph. Casual visits are welcome too, of course!

Look me up at:

01823-34403
40405-47297

Please leave a comment if you come by, I suggest "Interesting!" so I know you're from around here, which will also make me drat likely to swing by your place as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly I'd be happy if they just put more stuff on screen, the last one I played was years ago so it'd be fine if they didn't reinvent the wheel. Just have a cool soundtrack and that's all I'd ask.

I feel like we'll someday get something like a VR katamari, or at least kinect style one, where you make hand motions to roll the ball. Kind of a false start style hand rotation for movement, push your hands to the left or right to turn, etc. I'd enjoy the heck out of something like that. Even a standard old wii controller could probably give you mostly good controls in that fashion.

Strange Quark posted:

I did visit you yesterday. My avatar's name is Esther.

Ah alright, I'll swing by and get your calling card then! Keep on visiting, I'm on that long road to like 5k+ visits and whatever the hell thing I'd get for that.

Well, I'll swing by tomorrow at least, I already came by today :glomp:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Namtab posted:

Tonight I am going to watch season one, episode 2 of popular korean show "The Genius" followed by an anim, probably aldnoah.zero

I am very glad that you are watching popular korean show "The Genius" as it is one of my favorite shows of all time. I envy that you have four seasons that you can watch for the first time, as I am making the reasonable assumption that you are not rewatching "The Genius."

Since this is hopefully your first time, get ready to fall in love with Extreme Ways, better known as "That song from the Bourne movies."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

littleorv posted:

I managed to beat chapter 10 of Conquest and I lost like 5 dudes. It was not pretty

That really is the bottleneck, I've seen more posts hating on it than any other mission. It took me a few tries even on normal, so I'm sure on hard it's a real pain.

Takumi continues to be an a-hole, and I look forward to putting him in the dirt, one way or another.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Blhue posted:

i like how we've had touch screens on these consoles for like half a decade now and this game doesn't use them for text/numeric entry.

As someone who lost their stylus a year ago (and is too cheap to get another one) I like it.

Namtab posted:

I'm happy that you are supporting me in my endeavour to watch the genius for the first time. I'm happy there is a live action liar game that doesn't suck.

That's literally what it is. I can't promise every episode will be perfect, but the worst episodes (of which there are very few) still have good moments and the best episodes are goddamn art and the best reality/game show programming I've ever seen. I encourage you to pop in to the Genius thread and give your thoughts on the first season when you've finished it, it's always fun to read a fresh perspective and even with no new Genius in quite awhile I don't want to ever see that thread be inactive for a month or more.

My cousin's big response to the show when I basically forced it on him, aside from "this is really good," was "these women are hot as hell" so I believe the baps will meet your approval as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Davincie posted:

season 2 was pretty meh

Yeah, that's where you'll find the bulk of the bad or "meh" episodes, but they're still interesting.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Between this and fire emblem Fates Endorph is the gift that keeps on giving.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

littleorv posted:

One day I believe that there will be a good yuri anime. Maybe not in my lifetime but it will eventually happen

Sakura Kiss was pretty solid. The girls definitely kiss in it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

littleorv posted:

gently caress

I'm fine with it, it's pretty overdue really. It was the most Leo thing to tack on a 3 minute rant about climate change too, I really wanted someone to have the balls to try to play him off. I consider myself a liberal, but this Oscars in particular was a hell of a reminder about how liberal Hollywood is.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Also, I know the academy doesn't usually care about action, fantasy, or science fiction, and lord knows they stretched out enough by nominating Fury Road for just about everything and giving them outright wins in most of its nominations, but I would have liked to have seen Force Awakens get just a bit more recognition, maybe bump out one of the directors for a best director nomination for JJ. It got nominated in 5 categories which is none too shabby, but Abrams had to try to basically salvage a beloved film franchise and did his job about as well as you could.

Enough about that though, throw some more Love Live yuri itt please.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

*thinks climate change is real and diversity is worth giving lip service to* wow this is exTREMEly liberal

I mean, you joke, but lately it kind of is. Maybe I'm just overreacting after all involvement of serious issues during the Oscars and capped off with Leo's speech. It's also weird that Leo would take that stance, I mean if anyone should hate ice it's him.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

thank you she is kana's grandmother

There's something indecent about having your player character marry and reproduce with the child of an ally who was sent to a parallel dimension and aged for ? years while completely outside the reality you and everyone else you know understands.

With that said, I definitely have to do it on my birthright playthrough, just need to find the right... offspring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Motto posted:

So apparently the decision to cut the petting stuff in FE Fates only came after they recorded 8000 files of voice acting for it. :psyduck:

http://nintendonews.com/news/3ds/english-tracks-fire-emblems-petting-mini-game/

This is very, very lame. I take solace in the fact that at least they wasted a lot of money before deciding to cut it.

On the election front, I think that maybe 100 years from now the government will realize that they can implement voting online at both the caucus, state election, and major federal election level, and hold that alongside physical voting. If I could go to a website, confirm my identity six ways to sunday (address, social security number, email verification, whatever) I'd vote in every thing I possibly could, rather than just the presidential election.

Oh, you're worried that people will hack it, or cheat the system? Fair enough. Make it so you have to go in to a local government office and file all the paperwork, show all the proper ID, etc., and then you get one login, password, ID, PIN number, etc. to the voting system that can only be created in this way. Go in once, vote for the rest of your life with that ID.

Like, people are so paranoid about voter fraud, but with today's technology it seems pretty freaking simple to create a safe and secure internet voting protocol, and yes there are risks and you're always going to have physical voting alongside it but the benefit is now you'll probably have 2/3 of the voting population voting instead of the what, 10-20% we have now, and lower for the more minor elections every 2 years?

• Locked thread