Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

To further expand on how the Duffy claimed SCH, about four corners prior to the off, the car snapped the rear drivers side swaybar end-link. DrakeriderCa and I immediately commented that "this isn't good" and I backed off big time on my previously liberal applications of the loud pedal. The corner that provided too much for SCH was marked as 40km/h. We were going about 35km/h at corner entry.

Back in 2008, Kaptainballistik discovered that the RX-2's drag links liked to bend ( http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/rallying-technical/21986-rx2-drag-links-bending.html ). Well the SA & FB RX-7's use the same steering system. This knowledge isn't documented anywhere else online. No local racers run into this problem because the FB's are all racing in spec series with less sticky tires and mandated stock suspension geometry. Remember those wheel spacers we're running? Yeah, that's enough to bend the very malleable drag link. Based on the fact that the bar now looks like a smile as opposed to a pipe, I'm going to hazard a guess and say we were running some serious toe out at the time of the "oops" because I was taking a corner at a speed twice as slow as previous and with more steering angle. Combine that with the busted rear swaybar end-link loving with our weight transfer and we were bound to have a bad time. At this point, I'm just glad the end-link let go when it did, because if I was driving the car the same way as the beginning of HWY 99 - we would have ended up upside down and on fire in that gully.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man, that is a real bummer to read, but on the other hand, everyone came out injury-free and given what happened with the car, it could have been so much worse.

Have you guys given any thought to making this rally an annual thing? I realize that might conflict with a certain wedding anniversary, but you could be a little flexible with the schedule. The basic format of it seems pretty attainable, and it'd be cool to get more use out of the money you spent on these cars than just the one weekend+ of rallying. Although I guess once you sell them, you won't have spent all that much money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Although I'm not ready to commit to anything, next year my plan so far is to run an abbreviated version of the same rally but probably earlier in the year.

I think the destination will probably be the Reynolds automobile museum, and it might be van-mandatory (or "vandatory.")

Since a big chunk of the fun of this event (for me) is building and experiencing new cars I would prefer different cars.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 4, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm totally on board with switch's van plan. We talked about this a lot during the trip.

And yeah, the future routes will avoid the okanagen in July. :kimchi:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I already have my vehicle for any sub $1,000 van challenge complete with reeking of gasoline.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vans are boring and you're going to get too attached again.

What you need to do is a "convertible that was never built as a convertible" rally. No price limit, pretty much whatever you're willing to cut the roof off of.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

What you need to do is a "convertible that was never built as a convertible" rally. No price limit, pretty much whatever you're willing to cut the roof off of.

...like a van? :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

...like a van? :haw:

There are no wrong answers.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

After this year's experience, I feel uneasy compromising on rollover protection.

I feel like the recipe for success here is:

lovely Old Cars + Good Dudes + Crown Royal Apple + Zany Destination = Fun

Optional:
- Driving Fast
- Good Food
- Pokemans

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Optional:
- Good Food

If we had vans next year, it would be easier to camp. Also, we'd have room for a grill.

And coolers full of beer and liquor.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

If we had vans next year, it would be easier to camp. Also, we'd have room for a grill.

And coolers full of beer and liquor.

Don't get me wrong - the food this year was awesome. But I (probably) would have had just as much fun eating hot dogs and McDonald's.

And yeah next year we need our own stable supply of booze. :argh: BC :argh:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Camping out of tiny cars sucks. We really didn't even have that much camping gear with us, tents, sleeping bags, stove, pan, one cooler, chairs, couple bins of food and plates and such. But with tools and other essentials for a rally, you're losing a lot of very valuable trunk space.

Don't get me wrong, I love camping.

You have to Tetris all your poo poo into the space available, and to set up you have to take EVERYTHING out again. Packing up in the morning is just as bad.

With vans we can just sleep in it. No issues except personal space. Or, at the very least, getting your stuff in/out isn't as nearly a big of a deal.

If we do tiny cars again some year (which I totally support) I think we should just plan to motel it the whole way. Duffle bag for clothes/toothbrush and you're done.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It should be vans if only because we can then call it the Warped Vans Tour.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tommychu posted:

Oh please please please.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

If you're gonna call it that, then all of the entrants have to have some kind of frame or at least very very visible body damage. Straight lines will be heavily penalized, in other words.

Tear-drop windows and airbrushed Valkyries should be worth mega bonus points, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just how many body panels do I have to leave on to still be road legal?

I mean, can I drive a fully caged out van?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And is it still a van if you cut away a bunch of the van stuff?

Like, is this still a van?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Just how many body panels do I have to leave on to still be road legal?

I mean, can I drive a fully caged out van?
Define "fully" caged out.

You can legally drive around in an old jeep with the windshield folded down onto the hood, no roof, and the doors removed. New cars have side-impact requirements that mean converibles have big tall doors, but modified-by-owner rules are (I believe) more relaxed. And look at the Ariel Atom - it's basically a cage with car-stuff bolted on, and no real body panels at all.

My personal definition of "van" means "large enclosed internal volume" though I'd still call it a van if it the enclosure was basically a series of steel tubes forming a roll-cage like arrangement. So Powershift's example is not, to me, a van anymore. Details of cab shape (e.g. ratio of hood length to windshield height) aren't enough, that's a flat-bed truck.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Whatever it is, it's loving rad.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Powershift posted:

There are no wrong answers.

I'm going to assume this guy had the same headliner issue I'm currently experiencing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm going to assume this guy had the same headliner issue I'm currently experiencing.

Headliners are for pussies, especially in an era where you can just do spray foam insulation.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Or self adhesive dynamat.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Once the passenger side migrates past the dome light I'm going to have to do something about it. Its like watching an infestation grow. It was just around my sun visor at the beginning of the year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wednesday
A lot of people will tell you that, based on cartoons, roosters greet the dawn and then shut the gently caress up.

I'm not sure how that theory got started, because I am awoken at five in the morning by a rooster that won't stop crowing. I get ready for the day, slowly growing to accept the concept of spending more precious minutes of my life in the pseudorural armpit of Pemberton BC.

In the light of day, the murder hostel isn't that bad. It's got friendly goats, beautiful weather, a little dog, and a bunch of cats, which really liked Cool Ranch for some reason:

I start to wonder if maybe staying here forever isn't quite so bad. Then I stop standing in the exhaust cloud left behind by Cool Ranch's cold idle and my thoughts become clearer.

Overnight it has developed that Kyle's dad has picked up Kyle's F150, taken it to Slung Blade's dad's place, grabbed up a flatbed car trailer and began cannonballing the entire assembly all the way to BC. I am impressed at how handily the old-guy contingent has outmaneuvered us young bucks.

After a hearty pancake breakfast in the murder hostel's rec cabin, we reverse the previous day's shuffle activities.

In order to thank the people at the Pemberton NAPA for their hospitality we decide to take a look and see if there's any junk we can buy. I am sorely tempted to pick up this Man-Sized jug of brake cleaner:

Before I get a chance to get too accustomed to the twisties of rural BC while listening to Eurobeat blaring over the 10-speaker Celica surround sound system, my role as taxi driver comes to an end.

Both Kyle and Kelly greatly enjoyed their time in the Celica, from its brutal torque to its opulent comfort to its copious storage to its general lack of 120dB piercing rotor noise allowing you to have a conversation without the aid of a cabin-mounted radio system.

Now that the entire party is back together at the NAPA, a new problem arises: how do we get Sweet Chili Heat out to the street so it can be picked up by McTinkerdad?

Pushing doesn't move it, the toe is too extreme to overcome the tire scrub.

Sweet Chili Heat doesn't have enough torque to overcome the tire scrub either.

I volunteer the Celica. Kyle says "I don't think the Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7."

The Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7.

With McTinkerdad approaching, we decide to leave Kyle and Kelly behind with Sweet Chili Heat's shattered form in Pemberton to spend an entire day. The last we see of them is their lonely forms crossing the railroad tracks, preparing themselves for an exciting 24 hours in BC's most aspirational town.

As for Cool Ranch and us, we are on the way to Whistler.

The drive to Whistler is largely uneventful. I use my right foot judiciously, and let the 5SFE eat. If we can't make Tofino, we can at least make the coast.

Hours later, we roll into the ferry terminal in Vancouver.

Tidewater!!!!

In honour of our fallen friend, we dedicate one of Sweet Chili Heat's shattered fender mirrors to Poseidon.

After a quick scrum it is decided that we must get out of Vancouver immediately.

It is Wednesday. It is two PM. How bad can Vancouver traffic possibly be at two PM on a Wednesday?

The next few hours of going down the TCH are a blur. I probably came close to heatstroke a few times, consuming our entire quantity of water as I worked the temperature dial to make sure that the engine would stop overheating on the heat-soaked pavement in this rush-hour furnace.

At last, we make it to clear traffic, and Chilliwack, where we stop for sushi.

I will never take Chilliwack for granted ever again. As far as I'm concerned, that town is Christ Jesus, and not just because there was some kind of weird muscle-car/ricer-car event going on at the moment which gave birth to this Z-car:

After driving for a few more hours, I decide to spring for a hotel in Kamloops, because I want a hot tub.

We receive word of the successful pickup of Sweet Chili Heat around this time. In fact, not only did they pick it up successfully, but they already passed through Kamloops on the way back to Alberta. We missed them by about a half hour.

Obviously, tomorrow we would have to drive much faster.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Unfortunately the only thing McTinkerson's F-150 didn't have was a hot tub. Otherwise, A++ Would Sleep In Supercab Again

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Kyle says "I don't think the Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7."

The Celica has enough torque to tow the RX7.

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
Not gonna lie, I felt pretty pleased with myself when I was towing that poor wreck out of the parking lot. I was trying to be gentle too.

That hotel you paid for was really, really nice though. Except for the hearing loss those kids gave me when they were splashing around in the pool, but they were just having fun :unsmith:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

:smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
Not gonna lie, I felt pretty pleased with myself when I was towing that poor wreck out of the parking lot. I was trying to be gentle too.

That hotel you paid for was really, really nice though. Except for the hearing loss those kids gave me when they were splashing around in the pool, but they were just having fun :unsmith:

If you had any hearing left when you arrived at that hotel, SCH failed its mission.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
W.R.T the fuckin unicorn-rear end PCD arrangement, perhaps something like this to get you to 4x100 or some other useful PCD might help?

I mean it's still a spacer but 25mm of spacer is less than 60? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

This reminds me -- there's a guy near where I live who chopped the back half off of a Prius and stuck a small pickup truck bed on there instead. Weirdest loving thing, but he's proud of the fact that he owns the only truck in the state that gets 50MPG.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Truck or van?

Spotted at the local Walton mart. Owner said he built it himself.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

LCA's and drag link acquired. Should be starting on repairs tomorrow evening.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Slung Blade posted:

Camping out of tiny cars sucks. We really didn't even have that much camping gear with us, tents, sleeping bags, stove, pan, one cooler, chairs, couple bins of food and plates and such. But with tools and other essentials for a rally, you're losing a lot of very valuable trunk space.

Don't get me wrong, I love camping.

You have to Tetris all your poo poo into the space available, and to set up you have to take EVERYTHING out again. Packing up in the morning is just as bad.

With vans we can just sleep in it. No issues except personal space. Or, at the very least, getting your stuff in/out isn't as nearly a big of a deal.

If we do tiny cars again some year (which I totally support) I think we should just plan to motel it the whole way. Duffle bag for clothes/toothbrush and you're done.

I have to disagree. Camping out of small to medium sports cars is the dumbest/clinicly insane idea and therefore the most correct option for any AI rally.

I've done two road trips and im about to do a third camping out of GD WRXs with a shocking amount of scoliosis. It's doable if you have a good sleeping bag, a comfy blanket to act as padding on the seat, a new fresh pillow and a seat that can lean back to almost flat. The sedans can also hold a surprising amount of gear.

That said by the 72 hour mark you will feel every defect in the seats padding. I've found sitting on a pillow makes this somewhat tolerable till the end of day 4. Obviously if you have a co driver this might be more manageable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have slept repeatedly in my GF/GG Impreza/WRX wagons over the years. They're excellent to camp in, not as good as the Forester super-reclining rear seat but still pretty good.

The Celica was not anywhere near as nice to sleep in. A van would be dope just because of all the crazy poo poo you could do to the interior, like dorm room move-in day meets Mad Max.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chiwie posted:

I have to disagree. Camping out of small to medium sports cars is the dumbest/clinicly insane idea and therefore the most correct option for any AI rally.

I've done two road trips and im about to do a third camping out of GD WRXs with a shocking amount of scoliosis. It's doable if you have a good sleeping bag, a comfy blanket to act as padding on the seat, a new fresh pillow and a seat that can lean back to almost flat. The sedans can also hold a surprising amount of gear.

That said by the 72 hour mark you will feel every defect in the seats padding. I've found sitting on a pillow makes this somewhat tolerable till the end of day 4. Obviously if you have a co driver this might be more manageable.

I slept in the driver's seat of a nissan hardbody pickup during a snowstorm once.

So no thanks, I'm pretty done with that era of my life.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Slung Blade posted:

I slept in the driver's seat of a nissan hardbody pickup during a snowstorm once.

So no thanks, I'm pretty done with that era of my life.

Did you factor in that Hotel De'Rex scored a 4 star* rating?

*ANCAP is pretty much the same as a hotel guide right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.rbauction.com/1981-GMC-VANDURA?invId=9425264&id=ar&auction=SASKATOON-SK-2016549

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Account required.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chiwie posted:

Did you factor in that Hotel De'Rex scored a 4 star* rating?

*ANCAP is pretty much the same as a hotel guide right.

I have also slept in the seat of an 87 Chrysler fifth avenue, that was pretty plush. Not supremely comfortable as it didn't lean back all the way, but not bad.

Still don't want to do it anymore.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
All my camping up until I married my wife was out of a backpack, so even having a car is a luxury.

Now I have a camper though, so I'm getting soft :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thursday
Our in-suite butler was pretty nice, and buoyed by the concept that at one point in time we may return to civilization, the two remaining crews are in high spirits.

Looting the hotel breakfast proves fruitful: did you know that if you empty the entire mini-fridge of juices single-handedly, someone will appear to refill them without even questioning why you have a backpack full of free juice?

We punch it and head towards Alberta on Hwy-1. By this point, the Trans-Canada highway has calmed down, no longer being dominated by mountains but instead the relentless sameness of provincial parks. First Yoho, then Banff will fall at our feet.

One of the things that isn't illegal in provincial parks is slow-moving RVs, and during my driving shifts I frequently find myself going for the heater dial to control the Celica's chronic overheating at grade.

As the morning progresses Slung and I find the concept of stopping at Husky House completely irresistable. We do so, and it is probably the most satisfying roast beef sandwich of my long and storied career. I want one again right now.

Across the border and back in God's Own Country, Alberta, we make a quick detour onto 1A to visit the Bow Valley Parkway. This is probably a mistake, as even when it's not clogged with photo-snapping Germans, the speed limit is only in the low 40s. I can sense the Celica's grumbling irritation at being led from rental-crushing highway speeds to being forced to admire trees and the occasional bear.

We hop on 22 and play with the locals for a bit. It's near the turnoff into Airdrie that disaster strikes.

In stop-and-go rush hour traffic the Celica is not only overheating but loudly pinging, so when the road opens up we cut bait and go slowly with the heater cranked. We crawl into Airdrie, and the final leg of the event, wondering if maybe this is how the brave 5SFE will finally gasp its last.

At last we are in Airdrie, and to our surprise the Celica has returned completely to normal, with no trace of the brutal low-rpm pinging and hesitation it was previously manifesting. Toyota builds a helluva motor, I guess.

We did it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 9, 2016

• Locked thread