Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Account required.

Required unspecified repair, but it had a sink and fridge. But nine hunnert dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Initially I thought it was a burned out husk before I realized it was just rust-colored murals :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Of course it's lot 420.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I spent some time last night reviewing the little dash-cam footage I do have. Sadly, running a $40 Chinese cam that was gifted to you has it's drawbacks. Like it stopping to work after the first day. I still have 28GB of footage. Most of it boring, but there's enough there for a highlight reel I think.

DoritoPower has a bunch of GoPro footage as well, apparently 70 hours worth...

In addition, I tossed up a compiled chronological build thread on the Grassroots Motorsports forums since their annual challenge inspired the build portion of this event.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
please make sure it has an awesome soundtrack :neckbeard:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SneakyFrog posted:

please make sure it has an awesome soundtrack :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SKVL_1Nm4

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sweet Chili Heat is being a difficult oval office. I'm two hours in and I just got the drivers side LCA pulled. Holy poo poo is it fuuuuuuuucked. I'm taking pictures (side by sides with the"new" parts) that I'll post when I'm done. Which at current rate of progress will be around 0300.

Edit: I thought the drivers side LCA was in bad shape. The passenger side is super duper mega chooched.

If any AB:AI goons want to swing by and help, there's pizza.

Edit 2: Motherfucker, I can't get the drivers side inner tie rod removed from the drag link. Heats not working, sea foam deep creep isn't working and I can't get a gear puller on it either.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 14, 2016

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
Here's what I managed to extract from our dash cam. It's mostly sweet chili heat bothering people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Hrt8_RIbU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DoritoPower posted:

Here's what I managed to extract from our dash cam. It's mostly sweet chili heat bothering people.

I missed that delightful sound :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DoritoPower posted:

gently caress that Malibu.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I have a deep fondness for the pink dancing flamingo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I love that the Sienna walks away from you, ignoring the amazing sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Hrt8_RIbU&t=50s

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
It is important to note that the significance of the clip with the Sienna is that the noise you hear is from SCH which is ahead of the van yet sounds like it's right next to us.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also keep in mind that was recorded with a dashcam. Not exactly studio quality audio pickups on those.

It was a glorious noise.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

It was a glorious noise.

*ahem" It still is.

Remember how I said the control arms were a royal pain in the rear end to remove?
Here's why:

Driver side.

Passenger side.

This is what a straight LCA looks like. The swaybar endlink hole is directly in line with the balljoint centre.

Yeah, she's chooched boys.

This little lovely piece of cheese is why we most likely had zero steering input going in to that corner.

But Sweet Chili Heat is all better now.

The "MCM style budget street cred" fender paint repair is pages from the FSM electrical diagrams of the car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

But Sweet Chili Heat is all better now.

The "MCM style budget street cred" fender paint repair is pages from the FSM electrical diagrams of the car.

You should get this fucker to a shipyard or something proper and get some good wallpaper quality pics.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Good work McTinkerson, glad to see her on her feet again.

cursedshitbox posted:

You should get this fucker to a shipyard or something proper and get some good wallpaper quality pics.

Man this is Alberta. Nearest shipyard is an eleven hour drive away.

Plenty of industrial brownfields though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Rust is Rust imo. :D

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slung Blade posted:

Man this is Alberta. Nearest shipyard is an eleven hour drive away.\

Calgary Naval Museum would be adequate :colbert:

Good job BTW Mctinkerson.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Calgary Naval Museum would be adequate :colbert:

Photographing a rotary in front of a bunch of vehicles that will never move again is bordering on cruelty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Different from the current Canadian navy how?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shipyard Lake, Alberta is a real place. Which means it wins, on a technicality.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Leperflesh posted:

Shipyard Lake, Alberta is a real place. Which means it wins, on a technicality.

Technically correct, the best kind of correct!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So are you keeping the same spacers in there McT? I still feel like those were contributing factors to the bent drag link.

Also:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress that Malibu.

Seriously.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

So are you keeping the same spacers in there McT? I still feel like those were contributing factors to the bent drag link.

I huge loving piece of angle iron is being welded the entire length of the drag link. This supposedly shifts the problem down to the inner tie rods, which are stronger and also $15 a piece as opposed to NLA world wide.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:toot:

SCH rides again! Now our fellow weirdos can take a test drive before giving us the moneys

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Prairie car-photo backgrounds:

Gravel pit
SD 144 Topper and Ferry 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Low angle from the ditch, clear blue sky background
Truck! 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Dusk at the Badlands
Horseshoe Canyon 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Underground parking lot at a grocery store
Underground Chrysler 300 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Barbed-wire fence
Prairie Chrysler 300 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Passing a shiny, shiny truck
Transcanada 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The wan glow of the tow-truck's lights
SD 135 Towed 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Across a frozen lake
SD 120 Ice Crossing Riverhurst 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Take that fucker off-road
OR Prelude 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Become one with both the Earth and the Sky
SD 040 Car & Landscape meld by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I'll be in Alberta starting tomorrow, for about 3 weeks. Come find me - I'll mostly be at Seba Beach, 80 km west of Edmonton - and we can make photos like these happen to any car. That goes for anyone, I'm gonna be bored and kicking around a boring rental car.

There are also interesting *things* for backgrounds around, like Inland Terminals and there's even a lighthouse in Cochin, Saskatchewan.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I have officially taken SCH off of my insurance so that I stop driving it. It's also been submitted to Grassroots Motorsports magazine ( https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/who-wants-to-see-their-car-in-the-magazine/121026/page1/ ).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Double Post! Why? Because I finally was able to go through the (sadly) few pictures I took with my phone throughout the rally.

Here's everything from the trip in chronological order.

SSW and Slung Blade present SCH with a ceremonial pre-rally candle. It burned the brightest and self extinguished first.....yeah. Should have seen that one coming.

I am super happy with how this one turned out. The entire head of the handle acts like a prism and creates some great light patterns. I have no idea if this was intentional on Asahi's part or not. Most if not all environments where this tap handle would be used would never have the lighting conditions.

This was our campsite the first night. It is bizarre to have such a thing right in the middle of town. SCH also looks completely out of place. I guess technically it's out of place in all of polite society.

Now things start to get fun. The whole point of this rally was to flog our shitboxes on roads that would necessitate signs like this.

That's better.

This was probably my second favorite part of the rally. Highway 6 from Kelowna to Merrit is incredible.

Cool Ranch doing it's thing - that's a documented flyby.

Rear ward visibility in SCH isn't great. Still in the lead though!

Cool Ranch marking it's territory.

This is how close we came to having a very bad day.

In addition to greatly assisting in conveying our desire to having those vehicles ahead of us pull over / let us pass, the light bar also served as excellent illumination for the rescue effort. I'm not sure if I ever pointed out that the vinyl striping was the reflective Ken Block stuff. It photographs well.

All loaded up in Pemberton at ~0200.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

In addition to greatly assisting in conveying our desire to having those vehicles ahead of us pull over / let us pass, the light bar also served as excellent illumination for the rescue effort. I'm not sure if I ever pointed out that the vinyl striping was the reflective Ken Block stuff. It photographs well.

All loaded up in Pemberton at ~0200.

Man, it's nice to see that trailer getting some kilometers under it. We bought it in Strathmore, and it's spent the last 7 years going between my house, my folk's place, and the park grounds in Irricana. Probably less than a thousand kilometers since we bought it until it made the GRAND VOYAGE. I had no idea that vinyl was reflective, that looks really cool.

McTinkerson posted:

I have officially taken SCH off of my insurance so that I stop driving it. It's also been submitted to Grassroots Motorsports magazine ( https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/who-wants-to-see-their-car-in-the-magazine/121026/page1/ ).

:smith::hf::smith:

Sad day here too, in preparation to sell the Hellica, I took the placards off. At least I was able to save them, put one up in the window.

Also these loving lights have never worked right.

Junkyard replacements for the switches in both doors and we're in business. Finally.

Got the antenna off the rear glass, and that pokemon card, the parking pass plastic it was stuck too was a bitch and a half to clean off as well, but I'm glad it's done.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Man, it's nice to see that trailer getting some kilometers under it. We bought it in Strathmore, and it's spent the last 7 years going between my house, my folk's place, and the park grounds in Irricana. Probably less than a thousand kilometers since we bought it until it made the GRAND VOYAGE. I had no idea that vinyl was reflective, that looks really cool.

That trailer saved our rear end, thank you!

The trade requests are getting better for SCH. I have in all ads for the car stated in nice big bold letters, no trades. Doesn't make a difference apparently. Instead of complete cars, it's now cash & audio equipment.

Any goons want to write a Kijiji ad for the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
WITNESS THE APOGEE OF SOICHIRO WANKEL'S AUTOMOTIVE FEVER DREAM

HESITANTLY TOUCH YOUR SHAKING, SWEATY HANDS TO THE IMMACULATE WOVEN-CLOTH INTERIOR AND FEEL THE POWER COURSE THROUGH YOUR WEAK BODY

YOU MAY DIE, BUT SWEET CHILI HEAT WILL LIVE FOREVER. DRIVE AN ICON TODAY.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That settles it, I'm buying a lotto ticket today in the hope that I'll win, not so I can pay off bills and fix my fleet of derelicts, but so I can buy SCH.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just use SSS' tumblr as ad copy. I don't know if it'll sell, but it'll definitely set the tone.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

First legit offer of $2200 received :toot:
I countered with $2600. If we can agree on $2500 it's gone.

Edit: If this falls through, I'm listing it for $100/day on Turo.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 1, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

First legit offer of $2200 received :toot:
I countered with $2600. If we can agree on $2500 it's gone.

Edit: If this falls through, I'm listing it for $100/day on Turo.

:toot:

hahaha that loving Turo idea is awesome

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So now that we've had the wedding and all, which car won the Bridesmaids' Choice???

I was counting on that poo poo with my chick car :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So now that we've had the wedding and all, which car won the Bridesmaids' Choice???

I was counting on that poo poo with my chick car :(

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned this was literally the only criteria.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I totally forgot about Bridesmaid choice. poo poo. Alright, each team must submit two photos of their vehicle. I will submit those in an email to each Bridesmaid and ask them to pick their favorite.

In other news, DrakeriderCa and I sold Sweet Chili Heat for $2700.

Here it is being driven away by it's new owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Jesus Christ I still can't believe that happened

We shot the moon

• Locked thread