Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Team Mayor McCheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I've certainly never done anything cool or interesting.
:mad:

Well, I, uh...

*runs away* :blush:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh boy we did it this time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

it's finally happened. i couldn't keep the demons at bay any longer. their howling, taunting screams at the edges of my perception had worked their way directly into my consciousness after i had repressed them so well for so long.

this was it.

they had won

i'm sure the government had suspected for years, but as soon as i register this fifth vehicle

soon everyone will KNOW

what will my poor neighbours think?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is straight up the best car I have ever owned.

Only 2,000 km overdue on its wrong-weight fram-filter five-year-old Mr. Pube oil change too!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:ohdear: and here I thought you guys had done something sensible and gotten a TR7.

I don't think I've ever seen a tail light crack like that. Exactly how long has this thing been sitting for?

this is also now my favorite entry

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It has been sitting for "over a year," apparently.

Primary damage:
  • Power antenna broken off
  • Drivers' side brake light does not function, nor the running lights. Not so sure the passenger side running light is working OK. Third brake light is staggeringly bright.
  • High-end System 10 stereo's CD player does not function, appears to have lost radio code since last fire (bad battery connection or vampire drain suspected). Lower (yes, there are two) LCD appears to have started leaking in the corners.
  • Previous owner says it occasionally just doesn't start on its own and needs a jump, supporting previous conclusion of bad battery, bad connection or vampire drain.
  • Passenger side door only latches if you give it a real punt
  • Windshield is beyond pooched. Possibly original Toyota windshield based on badging, advanced stage of pitting/chipping
  • Drivers' side window likes going down, doesn't like going back up
  • Misc. missing trim, buttons
  • Hatch struts collapsed, snow brush provided for safe use of copious hatch area
  • Covered in organic detritus
  • Fog light button was stuck on when purchased, fog lights non-functional
  • Front clunk seems like swaybars
  • One spot of damp on the valve cover gasket
  • Struts are generously described as "present"
  • Something's leaking coolant but not real fast
  • Idealistically pulls to the left but doesn't take much effort to turn catastrophically right, like Rachel Notley
  • Gear throw is a mile long, feels like two geriatrics pushing rope when you start really going to town on it
  • Steering wheel, gear knob have terminal stage 'hand lotion wear'
  • Power adjustable bolster/lumbar support is only available for the drivers' side seat which will make the passenger jealous during long drives
  • Some rust
  • Left rear wheel makes ungodly grinding noise when rolled, does not burn rust off of rotor when enthusiastically LFB'd for miles at highway speeds. Also that wheel is missing its centre cap. COINCIDENCE???
  • Centre console is filthy, as are the front seats
  • Spoiler too small
  • Lacks hood scoop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOa67O9VrFo

Some background: When I was a kid my favourite toy car was the Majorette ST162 Celica with the little pop-up headlights. This is pretty awesome.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 5, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On the plus side, it runs like a loving champion. Started easy, clutch is decent, the brakes aren't TOO horrible, and the tires are ok.

The pulling to the left is really noticable, so it will need an alignment once we take care of all this suspension bullshit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always liked those celicas, good score.

This just came up locally
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/78-lincoln-towncar-luxury-sedan/1144716420?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Holy poo poo, well done! So this things getting the the full WRC Castrol Africa treatment right?

Edit: God damnit slidebite!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Holy poo poo, well done! So this things getting the the full WRC Castrol Africa treatment right?

Edit: God damnit slidebite!

Funny you should ask: http://www.creative-vinyl.com/579-toyota-celica-gen-5-st185-castrol-full-rally-graphics-kit.html

But it is stupid expensive so I'm gonna see what I can do locally. I want to get a junk GT-Four hood so I can cut a snorkel in it though, yes.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Awesome! I love that generation of Celica. There's a beater Alltrac that's running around Edmonton that I desperately want.

Name suggestion: Halftrac (?)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Further research has determined that a Fangio drove one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53XrDA2LB-c

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Funny you should ask: http://www.creative-vinyl.com/579-toyota-celica-gen-5-st185-castrol-full-rally-graphics-kit.html

But it is stupid expensive so I'm gonna see what I can do locally. I want to get a junk GT-Four hood so I can cut a snorkel in it though, yes.

Let me know if you find something on the vinyl front locally, need to get something for the kart this year.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DrakeriderCa posted:

Awesome! I love that generation of Celica. There's a beater Alltrac that's running around Edmonton that I desperately want.

Name suggestion: Halftrac (?)

Halftrac is the name generally given to 3SGTE swapped FWD Celicas, so if you're gonna call it that it's time to nut up and hit kijiji/junkyards like they owe you money.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Terrible Robot posted:

Halftrac is the name generally given to 3SGTE swapped FWD Celicas, so if you're gonna call it that it's time to nut up and hit kijiji/junkyards like they owe you money.

Dammit I should have expected someone to have used that already

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sometrac then? Or V6 swap, then it's pretty much Notrac.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I heard an excellent name being tossed around, but I don't know it if stuck :ohdear:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So what exactly is it and how much did it cost you guys? 1991? Celica GT-S?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

So what exactly is it and how much did it cost you guys? 1991? Celica GT-S?

'90 GT-S, $1000. Owner did not want to negotiate (it was a gift for her Sweet 16, and honestly she has kept it in pretty good shape) so we have to figure out a way to make money from this thing.

Can we count gypsy cab fares against the budget?

Also SB found a sticker in the engine bay saying that the timing belt was changed in April 2000 at 90,000 km. Sure hope that sticker is inaccurate because it's almost three times that mileage now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 7, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Daytime images!

LOTIOOOOONNN!!!! :argh:

DUST :argh:

:barf:

Jewel case holder!

For a broken CD player!

And a busted antenna!

But them speakers, hrrrngg

Dusty.

Interior trunk cover is kinda broken. Screws are missing, or maybe just removed. I didn't find them anyway.

Spare looks alright.

:japan:

Light works.

:lol: gas struts.

:ohdear:

Yeesh.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Jesus, what a girl car. Lotion erosion and zero wear on the side bolsters because she probably weighs half of what I do.

Looks awesome though! If you want to open up some budget room, start stripping parts/interior :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice score. Clean up that interior and it will be tits.

I bet that 16 year old timing belt is what's in there now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus, what a girl car. Lotion erosion and zero wear on the side bolsters because she probably weighs half of what I do.

Looks awesome though! If you want to open up some budget room, start stripping parts/interior :getin:

Quite literally half, maybe even 1/3rd. She was a slight little thing.

She wasn't having any of our poo poo though, didn't negotiate at all. That's ok, I think we still made off alright.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Power bolsters, son. When you turn the car off they collapse I think, but she was also very nice to the car and didn't do the fat-man slide that you see so many other cars of this age suffering from.

Also yeah it was a shocker to see a car with that much lotion damage that also wasn't packed to the brim with garbage. But it was filthy enough to have been packed with garbage in recent memory, and maybe in that part of town you don't really want the roving criminal element to be able to see a bunch of stuff in your car's interior.

Slung Blade posted:

She wasn't having any of our poo poo though, didn't negotiate at all. That's ok, I think we still made off alright.
I love that she (jokingly) dropped the "my sweet 16 car" bomb during negotiation.

I think even with the work we're doing to it this is probably one of the nicer cars I've ever bought.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This purchase has basically eliminated the need for these for you guys then?

Because from a pure reliability standpoint, that is a boring rear end car. I'm incredibly excited to see where you're going to take this given the budget constraints.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hand lotion does that?? :gonk: And why is the top of the wheel the most destroyed?

Otherwise a nice ride, but -100 points for the boring car that will get you anywhere.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

11-1 o'clock steering wheel death grip driver for sure.

Totally forgot to post this - the PO of our 7 dug these up for us for $50. We overpaid a little I think, but with a fresh coat of black they should look pretty good. Problem is, I don't want to actually run them on the car unless I can find the side window louvers as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Junkyard antics procured replacement steering wheel and tail lights among other parts.

Now that I've had a chance to look at it in the daylight I still like it:

Even this part I guess:

After beating on the car and shutting it off to show the power memory steering wheel height adjustment the car refused to restart, not even a relay click, and the dashboard voltmeter showed < 2V. That could be the battery, I guess, but it was pretty eager to cold start a few minutes previous.

mobby_6kl posted:

Hand lotion does that?? :gonk: And why is the top of the wheel the most destroyed?
Pretty much all of my used cars have come from women so I've had an exciting spectrum of lotion-related wear items to replace.

Including, but not limited to:
  • Power window switches
  • Power lock switches
  • Steering wheels
  • Head units
  • Headlight stalks
  • Cruise control button (totally eroded into a glowing white light in the dashboard)
  • My personal favourite, the child window lock on a 2-door car
I dunno what they put in ladies' hand lotion, but from the evidence it's apparently brake fluid.

Note for fairness: I am pretty sure men who wear a lot of hand lotion will also erode the controls of the car just as quickly if not quicker.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

How did you guys end up with an unreliable '90s Toyota?

I take back everything, this is amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If it helps, the power headlights worked almost immediately afterward with no problem and were perfectly bright.

Did not have the guts to try and restart it. Maybe the lack of a battery tie down lets it bounce around a lot.

But yeah, it worked great for Slung Blade and then exploded once the Seat Safety Curse got involved.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's up there with the ignition system failing on my VW after I switched to premium after an engine swap.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have obtained liability insurance and am going to attempt registering/plating this evening.

They still want me to get the insurance inspection done, :lol:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I put fire and theft on ours and it lowered my overall monthly insurance costs. Multi vehicle discount = $125/yr where as the cost of fire & theft on a $1000 RX-7 = $74/yr.
Ours will also need an insurance inspection within 30 days of my tossing PLPD on it. As soon as the engine goes in and we have tires on it - :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty common for a 15+ year old car isn't it?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've heard that there are insurers out there that don't require it anymore. I've yet to hear the name of said insurers.

The definition of "roadworthy" is also subjective as gently caress. I told my broker once that I was waiting on a new windshield to pass since mine had some cracks all the way through and she asked if it was missing or something.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Most insurance inspections basically consist of "can you open the doors" and "is daylight visible through the floorboards" and that's about it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard that there are insurers out there that don't require it anymore. I've yet to hear the name of said insurers.
AMA and Aviva both said they don't give a poo poo for liability-only but that might be because I am a nightmare insurance customer.

The Alberta insurance inspection puts functional horn at the same level of scrutiny as chassis integrity ("yes" or "no") so I really would not mind if it were abolished completely. It's not even very good leverage because anyone who flips cars knows it's bullshit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm with Aviva and my broker is constantly hounding me for them.

I usually get my dad to sign them with his old mechanic's number. This has devolved into a practical joke with with him refusing to sign off on the least safety related problem with the car just to get a rise out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm with Aviva and my broker is constantly hounding me for them.

I usually get my dad to sign them with his old mechanic's number. This has devolved into a practical joke with with him refusing to sign off on the least safety related problem with the car just to get a rise out of me.
All I'm hearing is that you have a guy who can sign off on our cars...

• Locked thread