Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sweet Chili Heat is being a difficult oval office. I'm two hours in and I just got the drivers side LCA pulled. Holy poo poo is it fuuuuuuuucked. I'm taking pictures (side by sides with the"new" parts) that I'll post when I'm done. Which at current rate of progress will be around 0300.

Edit: I thought the drivers side LCA was in bad shape. The passenger side is super duper mega chooched.

If any AB:AI goons want to swing by and help, there's pizza.

Edit 2: Motherfucker, I can't get the drivers side inner tie rod removed from the drag link. Heats not working, sea foam deep creep isn't working and I can't get a gear puller on it either.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

It was a glorious noise.

*ahem" It still is.

Remember how I said the control arms were a royal pain in the rear end to remove?
Here's why:

Driver side.

Passenger side.

This is what a straight LCA looks like. The swaybar endlink hole is directly in line with the balljoint centre.

Yeah, she's chooched boys.

This little lovely piece of cheese is why we most likely had zero steering input going in to that corner.

But Sweet Chili Heat is all better now.

The "MCM style budget street cred" fender paint repair is pages from the FSM electrical diagrams of the car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

So are you keeping the same spacers in there McT? I still feel like those were contributing factors to the bent drag link.

I huge loving piece of angle iron is being welded the entire length of the drag link. This supposedly shifts the problem down to the inner tie rods, which are stronger and also $15 a piece as opposed to NLA world wide.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I have officially taken SCH off of my insurance so that I stop driving it. It's also been submitted to Grassroots Motorsports magazine ( https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/who-wants-to-see-their-car-in-the-magazine/121026/page1/ ).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Double Post! Why? Because I finally was able to go through the (sadly) few pictures I took with my phone throughout the rally.

Here's everything from the trip in chronological order.

SSW and Slung Blade present SCH with a ceremonial pre-rally candle. It burned the brightest and self extinguished first.....yeah. Should have seen that one coming.

I am super happy with how this one turned out. The entire head of the handle acts like a prism and creates some great light patterns. I have no idea if this was intentional on Asahi's part or not. Most if not all environments where this tap handle would be used would never have the lighting conditions.

This was our campsite the first night. It is bizarre to have such a thing right in the middle of town. SCH also looks completely out of place. I guess technically it's out of place in all of polite society.

Now things start to get fun. The whole point of this rally was to flog our shitboxes on roads that would necessitate signs like this.

That's better.

This was probably my second favorite part of the rally. Highway 6 from Kelowna to Merrit is incredible.

Cool Ranch doing it's thing - that's a documented flyby.

Rear ward visibility in SCH isn't great. Still in the lead though!

Cool Ranch marking it's territory.

This is how close we came to having a very bad day.

In addition to greatly assisting in conveying our desire to having those vehicles ahead of us pull over / let us pass, the light bar also served as excellent illumination for the rescue effort. I'm not sure if I ever pointed out that the vinyl striping was the reflective Ken Block stuff. It photographs well.

All loaded up in Pemberton at ~0200.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Man, it's nice to see that trailer getting some kilometers under it. We bought it in Strathmore, and it's spent the last 7 years going between my house, my folk's place, and the park grounds in Irricana. Probably less than a thousand kilometers since we bought it until it made the GRAND VOYAGE. I had no idea that vinyl was reflective, that looks really cool.

That trailer saved our rear end, thank you!

The trade requests are getting better for SCH. I have in all ads for the car stated in nice big bold letters, no trades. Doesn't make a difference apparently. Instead of complete cars, it's now cash & audio equipment.

Any goons want to write a Kijiji ad for the car?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

First legit offer of $2200 received :toot:
I countered with $2600. If we can agree on $2500 it's gone.

Edit: If this falls through, I'm listing it for $100/day on Turo.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 1, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I totally forgot about Bridesmaid choice. poo poo. Alright, each team must submit two photos of their vehicle. I will submit those in an email to each Bridesmaid and ask them to pick their favorite.

In other news, DrakeriderCa and I sold Sweet Chili Heat for $2700.

Here it is being driven away by it's new owner.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Was it the bespoke Pokemon coach work?

It might have been because I scheduled two separate people to come and look at SCH at the same time.

They both wanted SCH and got into a small bidding war.

I then conveniently knew of another FB for the "loser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The Dempster by Dajiban has a nice ring to it.

• Locked thread