Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

:tviv:

Instead of 3 from Creston to Oosoyoos, you need to take 23 and 6 up through Nakusp. It's basically the best driving road in Canada and to miss it on something like this is probably a criminal offense.

I am not comfortable with returning to Nakusp since the incident.

If we do go, I will have to wear a motorcycle helmet and adopt a Mexican accent when questioned by the ferry operator. Debe haberme confundido con otra persona, senor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That $300 lincoln Mark VIII would have been ace. $300 for a RWD IRS coupe, $400 for a 150 shot of nitrous. a big rear end spoiler, ready to roll.

Where the gently caress do you get $400 nitrous kits because that's about the size of the hole in our budget.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get a cheap battery from Pick N Pull and rebuild the steering rack yourself, it's not super hard.

edit: Hm, RockAuto doesn't have a rack seal kit for the '87 Z31T, only the pump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All conversion vans are crime scenes, it just matters where along the timeline you place your DNA in them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I got some bad ideas in my head.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's gotta be a Merc of some kind, and the only sort I can think of that would be in the $200 range would be a totally hogged out W201 with no interior. But I don't think there were any coupes. W124 with body damage?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe I was too subtle about the time I almost got lynched on the Nakusp ferry by a bunch of irate hippies as they looked over my blood soaked dick replacement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You'll be fine, considering the age that thing is nicer than most new cars these days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey you guys, it's my thing to buy cars with drivers' front fender dents and ignore them for the entire lifetime of the car.

I don't think I've ever owned a car without one, and the one time I fixed it, the car got totalled on that corner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have been offered a bunch of XR7s over the years and they've all been autos.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

You should see the g-chat thread between the two of us.

Literally hundreds of kijiji links and one of us saying "DUDE THIS IS loving PERFECT".

Yeah but the problem is it's only one of us.

Maybe we should run two cars and really full retard this bitch out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh yeah, right. We're still dealing with sub-$1000 Kijiji here.

I am sort of shocked the LS400 guy is still trying to rope you in. Maybe we can soften him up big time and just drive it with the windows rolled down.

Well, worst case the Civic will probably be ready. We can put fancy new seats in it and try to cover the rust holes with chicken wire and bondo rocker-exit exhaust pipes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 3, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't want to jinx it but we may have something fine and two-door lined up.

Spoiler alert: it's a childhood dream car

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh boy we did it this time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is straight up the best car I have ever owned.

Only 2,000 km overdue on its wrong-weight fram-filter five-year-old Mr. Pube oil change too!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It has been sitting for "over a year," apparently.

Primary damage:
  • Power antenna broken off
  • Drivers' side brake light does not function, nor the running lights. Not so sure the passenger side running light is working OK. Third brake light is staggeringly bright.
  • High-end System 10 stereo's CD player does not function, appears to have lost radio code since last fire (bad battery connection or vampire drain suspected). Lower (yes, there are two) LCD appears to have started leaking in the corners.
  • Previous owner says it occasionally just doesn't start on its own and needs a jump, supporting previous conclusion of bad battery, bad connection or vampire drain.
  • Passenger side door only latches if you give it a real punt
  • Windshield is beyond pooched. Possibly original Toyota windshield based on badging, advanced stage of pitting/chipping
  • Drivers' side window likes going down, doesn't like going back up
  • Misc. missing trim, buttons
  • Hatch struts collapsed, snow brush provided for safe use of copious hatch area
  • Covered in organic detritus
  • Fog light button was stuck on when purchased, fog lights non-functional
  • Front clunk seems like swaybars
  • One spot of damp on the valve cover gasket
  • Struts are generously described as "present"
  • Something's leaking coolant but not real fast
  • Idealistically pulls to the left but doesn't take much effort to turn catastrophically right, like Rachel Notley
  • Gear throw is a mile long, feels like two geriatrics pushing rope when you start really going to town on it
  • Steering wheel, gear knob have terminal stage 'hand lotion wear'
  • Power adjustable bolster/lumbar support is only available for the drivers' side seat which will make the passenger jealous during long drives
  • Some rust
  • Left rear wheel makes ungodly grinding noise when rolled, does not burn rust off of rotor when enthusiastically LFB'd for miles at highway speeds. Also that wheel is missing its centre cap. COINCIDENCE???
  • Centre console is filthy, as are the front seats
  • Spoiler too small
  • Lacks hood scoop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOa67O9VrFo

Some background: When I was a kid my favourite toy car was the Majorette ST162 Celica with the little pop-up headlights. This is pretty awesome.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 5, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Holy poo poo, well done! So this things getting the the full WRC Castrol Africa treatment right?

Edit: God damnit slidebite!

Funny you should ask: http://www.creative-vinyl.com/579-toyota-celica-gen-5-st185-castrol-full-rally-graphics-kit.html

But it is stupid expensive so I'm gonna see what I can do locally. I want to get a junk GT-Four hood so I can cut a snorkel in it though, yes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Further research has determined that a Fangio drove one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53XrDA2LB-c

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

So what exactly is it and how much did it cost you guys? 1991? Celica GT-S?

'90 GT-S, $1000. Owner did not want to negotiate (it was a gift for her Sweet 16, and honestly she has kept it in pretty good shape) so we have to figure out a way to make money from this thing.

Can we count gypsy cab fares against the budget?

Also SB found a sticker in the engine bay saying that the timing belt was changed in April 2000 at 90,000 km. Sure hope that sticker is inaccurate because it's almost three times that mileage now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 7, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus, what a girl car. Lotion erosion and zero wear on the side bolsters because she probably weighs half of what I do.
Power bolsters, son. When you turn the car off they collapse I think, but she was also very nice to the car and didn't do the fat-man slide that you see so many other cars of this age suffering from.

Also yeah it was a shocker to see a car with that much lotion damage that also wasn't packed to the brim with garbage. But it was filthy enough to have been packed with garbage in recent memory, and maybe in that part of town you don't really want the roving criminal element to be able to see a bunch of stuff in your car's interior.

Slung Blade posted:

She wasn't having any of our poo poo though, didn't negotiate at all. That's ok, I think we still made off alright.
I love that she (jokingly) dropped the "my sweet 16 car" bomb during negotiation.

I think even with the work we're doing to it this is probably one of the nicer cars I've ever bought.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Junkyard antics procured replacement steering wheel and tail lights among other parts.

Now that I've had a chance to look at it in the daylight I still like it:

Even this part I guess:

After beating on the car and shutting it off to show the power memory steering wheel height adjustment the car refused to restart, not even a relay click, and the dashboard voltmeter showed < 2V. That could be the battery, I guess, but it was pretty eager to cold start a few minutes previous.

mobby_6kl posted:

Hand lotion does that?? :gonk: And why is the top of the wheel the most destroyed?
Pretty much all of my used cars have come from women so I've had an exciting spectrum of lotion-related wear items to replace.

Including, but not limited to:
  • Power window switches
  • Power lock switches
  • Steering wheels
  • Head units
  • Headlight stalks
  • Cruise control button (totally eroded into a glowing white light in the dashboard)
  • My personal favourite, the child window lock on a 2-door car
I dunno what they put in ladies' hand lotion, but from the evidence it's apparently brake fluid.

Note for fairness: I am pretty sure men who wear a lot of hand lotion will also erode the controls of the car just as quickly if not quicker.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If it helps, the power headlights worked almost immediately afterward with no problem and were perfectly bright.

Did not have the guts to try and restart it. Maybe the lack of a battery tie down lets it bounce around a lot.

But yeah, it worked great for Slung Blade and then exploded once the Seat Safety Curse got involved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've heard that there are insurers out there that don't require it anymore. I've yet to hear the name of said insurers.
AMA and Aviva both said they don't give a poo poo for liability-only but that might be because I am a nightmare insurance customer.

The Alberta insurance inspection puts functional horn at the same level of scrutiny as chassis integrity ("yes" or "no") so I really would not mind if it were abolished completely. It's not even very good leverage because anyone who flips cars knows it's bullshit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cool, the Celica has directional wheels and apparently directional centre caps. This makes my job of finding a replacement centre cap only a teensy weensy bit harder.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Fun fact: SSSwitch managed to reef the handbrake lever so hard the dash light won't turn off now.
I didn't choose the tug life, the tug life chose me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

So I know that being nice to the cars and doing preventative maintenance is sort of outside the point of this thing but I've got half a case of OE oil filters just kicking around that happen to fit that Celica, you guys want a couple?

You know it. If nothing else, we'll fill the trunk with it when it comes time to sell the car along with a bunch of worn out used parts and go "look at all these spares!"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It was meant to be. It's like rescuing a pound puppy that ends up tearing the throat out of a home invader.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you do a Bosozoku exhaust it's decorative, isn't it?

Especially if you tune the runners into harmonics so that the 13B can play it like a pipe organ.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like we've all been roped in by this "bachelor party" story so that Tink can just buy more loving RX7s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Even my dad has become a dorito fan now, I think its contagious if you get too close to one. He's gone round and told all his neighbors about how my RX7 has a rotary engine and I don't think I'm allowed to work on it without him anymore.

I didn't expect that.

Actually yeah I did. He was probably just tired of you being around German cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I tried, but they're thin on the ground, especially under a grand.

My dream car (regardless of this event) was a 164. I think it would make the rotary guys' breakdowns even more entertaining.

"Hey guys, I was just driving by in my perfectly reliable 20 year old Italian car and it looked like you were having a spot of trouble."

About five seconds later it would explode into a ball of flames and burn to the ground after I neglected to check the oil every thirty three kilometers exactly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On my old '91 Miata the dome lights didn't work and I didn't understand why. I replaced both door switches, the bulbs, cleaned up the contacts, multimetered the switch and found that neither dome light was operational.

I ordered a used lamp assembly from a parts car and in the meantime decided to do some more diagnosis.

Moving the switch rapidly between Off and Door with the door open would make it light up, but I never understood why until I took the old switches apart.

When I took the switches apart, I found that Mazda had cut a few corners and just had a springy brass bus bar (ask Ken for exact terms here) that the switch slid on to activate. The bus bar had corroded like whoa so it no longer made electrical contact except for the brief moments of clean brass that the switch's plastic edges would otherwise be protecting.

A few minutes of cleanup with a gray scotchbrite pad later and things were hunky dory.

Pretty much everything else electrical on that car was the same story. I think it's getting cut up right now to become an Exocet.

That said the door switches are probably dicked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sure hope you got a wooden wedding ring like mine. That would have been an unpleasant day with a metal one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

Don't want to say too much since it's one of those 'stars and planets have to align' type things but a friend and I might be in for this. A shell exists and it's free if I can find a powertrain and get it installed.

Hell yeah, the more the merrier. Especially if you're a boinger.

Fingers crossed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

inviting people from the internet just doesn't jive with that. Now, if those participating are fine with that - then the more the merrier!
That reminds me, my bail-fund bank account is getting low again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Cross-forum drama is so exciting:

Me, being right posted:

Going over the limit also just gives us penalty points, which we can eliminate by not breaking down and by doing ricer fly-bys on the RX7s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Haha, you saw the Effex this morning and couldn't get it out of your mind huh?

I did want to try the black Effex...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Went out to the ranch today and SB and I got a bunch of stuff done on the Celica.

First, we did an oil change. I don't know what this thing on the very front of the Celica is, other than maybe this is how you can tell it's a boy Toyota vs. a girl Toyota.

Please spay or neuter your Celica. Thank you.

One of the main goals for today was to put new hatch struts on it. However, the old hatch struts had super rusty brackets holding them on that were mega gross. Out comes the angle grinder.

And the Tremclad. My focus isn't great in this shot, but just look at that big Alberta sky.

While we're at it, might as well spray paint the wiper arms too. Here comes the zinc chromate primer, which I am terrible at applying in the wind.

And the semi-gloss black.

Eh, good enough. Tremclad apparently takes longer than we gave it to harden.

Where's the rear wiper arm, you ask? Well I forgot to paint that :(

Back in the garage it's time to yank the plugs:

#1 is not looking too good there boys. 3/4 plug wires dismantled themselves as I removed them, which is probably my worst record yet.

While looking at the distributor, noticed that the bottom of it wasn't actually bolted in all the way, and the engine had been leaking oil through the bottom of the distributor presumably since the last time it was done. That's not good.

Replaced the distributor cap, distributor 'rotor', all four spark plugs and all four spark plug wires. Just look at all that race car red.

Then I had to go. But I am told in my absence the steering wheel was replaced with our junkyard unit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I have been tweeting on the account.

I even installed Tweetdeck so I'm pretty much halfway to becoming a $27,000 a year social media manager for Subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I saw a rotary engine rat rod up in Airdrie today. I think it's an omen of things to come. Didn't get any pictures though :(

It's cool, the Airdrie fire department has a Twitter now. They'll take care of it.

• Locked thread