Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cannot loving wait. This is gonna be rad.

I totally forgot to ask yesterday, how many points are the various bonuses worth? One per criteria met? 10 per? Judge's discretion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm in it to win it

My appeal lies mostly with the ladies, so I'm betting on my car's raw sexual charisma to win over the bridesmaids for the clinching points

Also SSS and Slung Blade, do you guys feel like investigating a sick ride for us?

http://m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/calgary/1985-buick-century/v?adId=1136891677&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454304741431

Sure man, give the guy a call and send me a list of questions to go over.

I'm free Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights this week.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Big thanks to Slidebite for checking out that lincoln for me today.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress no I'm calling dibs on your guns.

Also does anyone in the south of Edmonton or near gull lake feel like grabbing these for me?
http://m.kijiji.ca/electronics/red-deer/2-x-cobra-cb-radios-for-sale/v?adId=1137242879&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454515295862

If not, I might go pick these up this weekend. Would any other team like in on this action?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Do they come with mics and antennas? I've been seeing the Cobras with the full kit for about $70, so that's what I was aiming for.

No idea. Want me to call and ask?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Sure. If they come with, I think we'd be in. That would be a decent price.

Ok, called and left a voice mail. Will let you know what I find out.

E: good news! Guy called me back. Radios do not come with antennae, but they do have the microphones. One of the little retaining buttons to hold it on the hanger is broken, but that's no big deal.

When I told him what we wanted them for he said he also has another cobra, simpler and smaller without the bells and whistles, but he would throw that one in for free if we bought the other two.

Plus he says he'd bring them up to Edmonton on the 10th (Wednesday) if you'd care to meet him somewhere.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me, should I call him back to set up the exchange?

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 3, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coordinated with Drake and the seller via pm.

Deal is happening, so now we'll have three cb radios.

Which teams want in on this? The radios need mounting brackets (if one is so inclined) and an antenna.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Once I take possession of my B Body I'll let you know for sure. Chances are I'll take one.

Sounds good. Drake said his team would take one too, so I guess we're set.

You and Drake can fight over the basic set I guess :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have acquired a four ton come along of reasonable quality from peavey mart.

Drake: want me to pay you cash for those radios next time we meet, or interac now?

Who wants to get the hi lift?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think we should grind off all the paint from our cars and get some "North Saskatchewan Delorean Club" t-shirts made up.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

This is super tempting

The looks on people's faces might almost be worth the crippling sunburns on our corneas.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'll be around this weekend if you guys need any assistance/tools/space, just give me a call or text.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

So SeatSafetySwitch and Slung Blade, the ball is in your court. What are you guys going to end up with?

You should see the g-chat thread between the two of us.

Literally hundreds of kijiji links and one of us saying "DUDE THIS IS loving PERFECT".

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah but the problem is it's only one of us.

Maybe we should run two cars and really full retard this bitch out.

Nah, we've had total agreement on at least 10 options. Usually the seller turns out to be a complete rear end in a top hat or won't actually return calls / emails.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bucephalus posted:

I hope it's a Supra.

Keep in mind switch's various mental perversions.

His dreams are.... different from those of polite society.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MrChips posted:

Ooooh I hope Switch pulls this off, it'll be crazy!

Yeah I've certainly never done anything cool or interesting.
:mad:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

it's finally happened. i couldn't keep the demons at bay any longer. their howling, taunting screams at the edges of my perception had worked their way directly into my consciousness after i had repressed them so well for so long.

this was it.

they had won

i'm sure the government had suspected for years, but as soon as i register this fifth vehicle

soon everyone will KNOW

what will my poor neighbours think?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On the plus side, it runs like a loving champion. Started easy, clutch is decent, the brakes aren't TOO horrible, and the tires are ok.

The pulling to the left is really noticable, so it will need an alignment once we take care of all this suspension bullshit.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Daytime images!

LOTIOOOOONNN!!!! :argh:

DUST :argh:

:barf:

Jewel case holder!

For a broken CD player!

And a busted antenna!

But them speakers, hrrrngg

Dusty.

Interior trunk cover is kinda broken. Screws are missing, or maybe just removed. I didn't find them anyway.

Spare looks alright.

:japan:

Light works.

:lol: gas struts.

:ohdear:

Yeesh.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus, what a girl car. Lotion erosion and zero wear on the side bolsters because she probably weighs half of what I do.

Looks awesome though! If you want to open up some budget room, start stripping parts/interior :getin:

Quite literally half, maybe even 1/3rd. She was a slight little thing.

She wasn't having any of our poo poo though, didn't negotiate at all. That's ok, I think we still made off alright.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have obtained liability insurance and am going to attempt registering/plating this evening.

They still want me to get the insurance inspection done, :lol:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have obtained a plate now. Prepare your anus, Alberta's back roads.

And yeah the inspection checklist is hilarious. Twenty line items, all yes/no answers.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

I put fire and theft on ours and it lowered my overall monthly insurance costs. Multi vehicle discount = $125/yr where as the cost of fire & theft on a $1000 RX-7 = $74/yr.
Ours will also need an insurance inspection within 30 days of my tossing PLPD on it. As soon as the engine goes in and we have tires on it - :getin:

I've long since run out of leeway with my insurers. This is vehicle #5 in a single driver household.

Insurance is my #2 expense after my mortgage :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This battery hold down we got a the junk yard is poo poo. The rusty part is paper thin. Still, I wirewheeled it off and gave it a splash of paint. Didn't get a picture of that, it was drying and it got dark before it was done. I'll put it on tomorrow.

Why tomorrow you ask? How about because I want to hose this poo poo off. :barf:

The little plastic tray isn't much better.

The brake light bulbs were loving destroyed on BOTH the original tail light housings AND the donors we got at the yard. Amazingly, the Coronet uses pretty much the same bulb so I had a couple spares to use. Replaced the housings and hosed around with minor poo poo for a while, looks ok now.

I also drilled out the nylon bolts that are supposed to hold the plate on (gently caress you toyota) replaced them and mounted the plate with some lovely cheese grade bolt hardware (gently caress you china) and refilled the wash bottle with decent fluid (gently caress you road salt). Got it booked in for a windshield replacement on friday, then I need to get it safetied for the insurance company. I registered it and got a plate yesterday after I got it insured.

Fun fact: SSSwitch managed to reef the handbrake lever so hard the dash light won't turn off now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On the suggestion of irc, I checked the brake reservoir cap to see if it was loose as we were messing with it on Sunday, no joy there. Might be down on fluid a touch so I will top that off today.

Rear defroster works, and the rear window sprayer works after a fashion. Defrost vents work fine when you remember to open the loving things so they can actually move air. Heater and blower motor works good.

It was a little reluctant to start in the cold, but it got going after an extra second or three of cranking. I was actually somewhat glad the glass frosted over last night, because it took some of the dust and grime off when I scraped the ice away.

Brought it to work today, time to give it a bath.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A few millilitres of brake fluid cleared up that dash light. SSSwitch surmises that the brake pads are irredeemably hosed now. Quite possibly true.

I drove it to work today. Gave it a cleaning, sucked out five pounds of gravel and poo poo from the interior, refilled the gas tank, and gave it a spirited run on backcountry highways.

I cannot believe what a sweetheart this car is. It just wants to run and go, it seems happy to be in our hands now. We got a killer deal.

I also visited my folks for their anniversary tonight, had my dad drive it. He loved it, and was amazed we got it for the price that we did.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Got the windshield replaced this morning. It has improved my driving experience at least 35%.

Timing belt, brakes, some suspension bits, and a couple gaskets and we'll be ready.

Probably.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

no cats best cats

gently caress emissions qtiyd

Quoted. (For old cars only)

I sure hope this snow fucks off by the weekend, I need to get the celica 'insurance safety' inspected.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm all for it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Accept groupies?

Only ones that put out. :colbert:

Also I'm on call from the 9th until the 24th, so if we could do this after the may long weekend that would be ideal.

If that doesn't work for you guys though, it'll be fine so long as we stay in cell reception range, just more of a pain.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

For a minute there I thought he was going to try to rope us into also running a Wankel.

I'm sticking with the reciprocating clan.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Even my dad has become a dorito fan now, I think its contagious if you get too close to one. He's gone round and told all his neighbors about how my RX7 has a rotary engine and I don't think I'm allowed to work on it without him anymore.

You should sell your astro van and buy an Italian cargo truck.

Complete the Axis (of poor decisions).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

The Kart I specifically bought that van for is Italian with an Austrian engine, that has to be close enough.

Also I'm now insanely disappointed that nobody bought a Fiat x19.

That totally counts. Well done.

Maybe put some canvas under the cart engine to capture any oil spray so you can claim it's a painter.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Robe? idgi

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I took the celica to SSSwitch's friend near the airport for an insurance inspection, he was too busy today to help (which I'm told is unusual on a saturday for them). That's fine, can't expect immediate service all the time.

Took it to Canadian Tire near my sister's place (hanging out with family for my parent's anniversary) since I have used them before for my grandfather's f-150 and they were pretty quick about it. Dropped it off at 11:30. Came back at 5:30, saw they moved it across the parking lot, I think "great, they got it done " so I go in to settle up. Turns out they didn't do an inspection, so I ask "what the hell, why did you move it then?" no one could give me a satisfactory explanation.

I don't even know what the gently caress, they didn't move it very far, odo didn't seem to move much since I had dropped it off. Whatever, I'll try SSSwitch's friend some other time when he's less busy.

I need to make a list in here to keep track of the poo poo I keep finding:

-Alternator started pulsing this morning, little RPM fixed it. After can tire, I notice the charge meter is a little low but steady this time, again a hit of gas brings it up. After my sister's place, the voltage is waaaay down, battery light comes on, gently caress, alternator is hooped. Had to try to get it home to my place, 45 minutes away. Tromping on it again wakes up the alternator, voltage back to normal, charge is good. Belt is fine, connections look ok. Like most problems in life, this one can be solved with furious application of wide open throttle. Any ideas? Janky coil maybe?

-The dome light does in fact work. I thought the bulb was just dead, turns out both the driver and passenger position indicators are hosed, or the cable's are broken. The trunk lid switch still works though, that's the only way I spotted it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress, you guys ok?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress yeah man, let us know if you need any assistance with recovery.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

"hey, these are my bros and we're doing a rally for a bachelor party/thing. This is a thread about it"

It can't be, I barely know any of these weirdos.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the main goals for today was to put new hatch struts on it. However, the old hatch struts had super rusty brackets holding them on that were mega gross. Out comes the angle grinder.

There were retaining pins riveted in on the upright portion of these brackets. I ran a drill down them and then used that chisel (which I made from a railroad car's spring!) to remove the head after the center was removed.

Any excuse I can get to use my blacksmithing gear. Also my anvil is rusty as gently caress, I should clean it and oil it or something.

Also I can confirm that the steering wheel has been replaced. The horn still works even, amazingly I didn't gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^^ thanks man, I love doing stuff like that, especially when it's useful.

New steering wheel! This has improved the driving experience by at least 12. The old one is so gross.

It peed a little oil overnight after the oil change. I'm chalking this up to residue on the block.

• Locked thread