Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm in it to win it

My appeal lies mostly with the ladies, so I'm betting on my car's raw sexual charisma to win over the bridesmaids for the clinching points

Also SSS and Slung Blade, do you guys feel like investigating a sick ride for us?

http://m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/calgary/1985-buick-century/v?adId=1136891677&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454304741431

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Hey stud, if you're going for charisma nothing screams it like bright yellow AZTEC with minor body damage.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2001-aztek/1134825989?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Yeah, auto and FWD but I bet you could get it for less than asking.

Holy poo poo yes. An Aztek must qualify as "exotic". And there's nothing the other teams could do to it to make it less attractive.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
SLIDEBITE SLIDEBITE SLIDEBITE

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1986-ford-e-150-full-factory-conversion-van-ski-coach/1137313962

Also thanks to the Calgary guys who were open to looking at the Buick, but I think it's a bit boring compared to some of the stuff we've seen over the last few days.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I am scanning the skies for the Alberta AI version of a bat signal an erect penis...? to go view this thing. :awesome:

e: That Z31T I sent you, I'm tellin you man. Hilarity guaranteed when you fall through the floorboards.. :cool:

Haha, yeah I can only imagine. Eazee got ahold of the Z31T guy and apparently it needs a battery and rack and pinion. Which isn't super expensive, but would definitely push us out of our budget. Too bad, that would have been a terribly amusing horrible decision.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Those racks are a nightmare. I would pass on it too knowing that.

Let us all pray for the everlasting soul of slide bite as he ventures into the unforgiving wasteland of north Lethbridge to investigate a conversion van that may or may not be a crime scene

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Nah, his DNA is on them already

Yep, from butt to muzzle

Also SKI COACH is looking more possible now. The seller is a bit hard to deal with, which I know is probably hard to imagine on a $500 conversion van from kijiji. But it's true. If we can determine if it's a runner, it might be a go.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

gently caress no I'm calling dibs on your guns.

Also does anyone in the south of Edmonton or near gull lake feel like grabbing these for me?
http://m.kijiji.ca/electronics/red-deer/2-x-cobra-cb-radios-for-sale/v?adId=1137242879&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454515295862

If not, I might go pick these up this weekend. Would any other team like in on this action?

Do they come with mics and antennas? I've been seeing the Cobras with the full kit for about $70, so that's what I was aiming for.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

No idea. Want me to call and ask?

Sure. If they come with, I think we'd be in. That would be a decent price.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, looks like I'm picking up a $500 Buick next Friday. That should leave enough room in the budget for a thumpr cam.

:toot:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I think all El Dorado's were FWD, though?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

I have acquired a four ton come along of reasonable quality from peavey mart.

Drake: want me to pay you cash for those radios next time we meet, or interac now?

Who wants to get the hi lift?

Interac would be good. I think we've got a line on a car, so I'll be putting that cash towards it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

I think we should grind off all the paint from our cars and get some "North Saskatchewan Delorean Club" t-shirts made up.

This is super tempting

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Chrome / brushed aluminum effect vinyl is cheap. Also, we somehow need to incorporate some John Z Delorean cocaine dealer jokes into this.

On the sub $1000 vehicle front: currently working on picking it up this weekend or next weekend. It's bought and paid for. $200 for something with a manual, two doors and rwd is a good start in my books.

So far so good

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

So any guesses as to what DrakeriderCa and I ended up with?

:allears:

Hint: it's sweet and sexy

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Team Sweet Chili Heat is pleased to introduce, our $200 chariot.

we gonna die

:toot:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo that FB is clean as hell. Only $200 for that?

I kinda hate you guys right now.

Best of luck to everyone, this is loving amazing.

well, the motor is currently a spectacularly inefficient blower fan right now, so we will need to do something about that

but the important parts (steering, brakes, suspension) are a few notches above "dangerous", so it's a start :haw:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I would accept an LS400 as worthy non-Dorito competition

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Citroen?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Firefly Turbo?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Awesome! I love that generation of Celica. There's a beater Alltrac that's running around Edmonton that I desperately want.

Name suggestion: Halftrac (?)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Terrible Robot posted:

Halftrac is the name generally given to 3SGTE swapped FWD Celicas, so if you're gonna call it that it's time to nut up and hit kijiji/junkyards like they owe you money.

Dammit I should have expected someone to have used that already

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Jesus, what a girl car. Lotion erosion and zero wear on the side bolsters because she probably weighs half of what I do.

Looks awesome though! If you want to open up some budget room, start stripping parts/interior :getin:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
SSS abusing a handbrake? Colour me surprised :haw:

And yes, the inspection will be completed after the vehicle is roadworthy but before it is rallyworthy :toot:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I have secured our engine swap time and location. March 19 - 0800 MDT. :toot:

I also visited the car at said location and made a list of items I should probably bring so that we can drive it back.

• Coolant
  • Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Battery
  • Brake Fluid
  • Rad Cap
  • Seafoam
  • 25L of Fuel
  • New Battery Terminal ends
  • 3' of 2" exhaust pipe - I'm 90% sure based on the PO's description of how the car broke that the cats are clogged.
  • Throwout bearing - this one is optional if I can't source one locally for cheap

The plug wires, rotor cap and plugs were done 5k km prior to the engine making GBS threads the bed so I'll be re-suing those.

The only thing on that list that will count against the budget is the exhaust piping I think.

no cats best cats

gently caress emissions qtiyd

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Lol this is just ridiculous now

All hail McTinkerson, King Of Doritos

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I might make an appearance and offer garage services if needed while in the far south of AB, but I don't think I want to be officially affiliated in some blatantly obvious homo-erotic "bachelor party"

Yeah

Slidebite will only be ~unofficially~ affiliated in blatantly obvious homo-erotic bachelor parties :colbert:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

2 things:

1) Plausible deniability
2) Don't remember it, didn't happen. It's easier to forget 1 day than 3 or 4. :colbert:

Besides, I am not a rabid dorito fan like everyone else so I'd definitely be even more of an outsider.

I didn't even like them until we got ours now I LOVE IT COME JOIN US COME JOIN US COME JOIN US COME JOIN US

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm just poking in here to say ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha jesus christ

I'm getting you the robe

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Today was pretty successful. We harvested some parts from our donor car and moved some of the good stuff over to Sweet Chili Heat. Things are coming together. Engine swap hopefully next weekend, then the car can start living at McTinkerson's place.

I've also started setting up the rally's social media presence. I'll post FB/twitter/Instagram links shortly.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm. It sure what was worse: spilling coolant or your grievous electrical burn

Probably the electrical burn :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Sweet. I hope Doritos hooks us up with some free chips in addition to livery support

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

DoritoPower posted:

If they don't, I'll swap out my engine in protest.

Biturbo swap :shepicide:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Update: Engine swap on the 7 won't be happening this weekend. What will be happening is selling more parts off the parts car, including removing all of the body work for Cool Ranch.

In addition, I have found a wicked deal on a muffler for the car. It's proper JDM/very very mild bosu.

The buyer of the steering rack flaked out, which I'm not too bummed about since pulling it is a royal pain in the rear end.

Okay, cool. I'm glad I'll get a shot at being there after all.

yesssssssss

/

nooooooo

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
that's some handsome looking ignition there boys

Did you guys see the G+ post? We have social media accounts now, and I posted the login information for everyone.

For everybody following along at home, you can look us up on Twitter and Instagram at @tm2twrally and on Facebook by searching for the full rally title: Transmountain To Tidewater, and we'll be hashtagging all kinds of stuff with #tm2twrally as well, which I think is what the kids are still doing.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I have been tweeting on the account.

I even installed Tweetdeck so I'm pretty much halfway to becoming a $27,000 a year social media manager for Subway.

drat I didn't see that before I posted. Tweetdeck sounds pretty serious. I feel like our professional credibility just shot up.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

There were retaining pins riveted in on the upright portion of these brackets. I ran a drill down them and then used that chisel (which I made from a railroad car's spring!) to remove the head after the center was removed.

Any excuse I can get to use my blacksmithing gear. Also my anvil is rusty as gently caress, I should clean it and oil it or something.

Also I can confirm that the steering wheel has been replaced. The horn still works even, amazingly I didn't gently caress that up.

That blacksmithing stuff is super cool. I love that you have tools you've made that are so practical.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Haha, Jesus

We're starting a parts yard aren't we?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Today was a good day

Sweet Chili Heat now has a running engine in it. Which we immediately tested by driving it 100+km to McTinkerson's house :toot:

I was planning on keeping up with the tweets, etc but my phone is garbage and died

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

We were all focused on getting the car completed rather than documenting the progress via imagery.

I will get pictures of the car today however. In all of its Hiroahima Kazoo glory.

Yeah, unfortunately I got caught up trying to get it done so my wife wouldn't murder me for spending all day on the car. Then the phone died and all hope was lost.

Wife status: still in the murder zone

Unfortunately this is all I can contribute from yesterday. First step of engine swapping: remove all possible emissions crap

After removing all emissions crap, put another engine in and start it. Oh, it won't start? Maybe plug in all the wires. :v:

Once it's running, immediately drive it on a major highway and annoy WRX's with your kazoo exhaust.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hellica lookin good

• Locked thread